Alistar the Tanky Tank, or How to Tank with Alistar, or the Newbs Guide to Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shanghaiii

07-05-2010

I use radiuns with Alistar. LSt two games i just farmed minions with mage user then when I hit lvl 15 i razed their turrets and just died each time i destroyed their inhibitors. Turning the tide so fast is what Alistar is made for, which is I main him more than Rammus.

** Forces of Nature is the best gear I ever use along with other items with MR/Armor.
It would be wise to get good health regen as well.

Devoninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2010

Umm... why would anyone attack you?

SciencePrime

07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoninja View Post
Umm... why would anyone attack you?
I see where you're coming from... the best team fight strategy is to avoid wasting abilities and attacks on the tanks and targeting the squishy carries/nukers first. However, the beautiful thing about Alistar is that ignoring him as a primary target in team fights is almost as bad as devoting resources to kill him.

If I'm ignored in a team fight, I go straight for their squishy carry or nuker or whoever has been the most effective against my team, and either force them to run out of the team fight, or stun then and headbutt them back into my team, where he/she will be eaten alive. If their crowd control teammates know I'm doing this and use stuns on me, even better because I can cleanse and also ult out of them. I've done my job because they wasted their stuns.

If my team is pushing an enemy tower, my effectiveness increases further. I crash the tower and start banging on it. If the enemy team ignores me, I keep banging on the tower. I also keep my eyes open to see if anyone squishy has overcommitted to hitting my team... if this happens i can initiate my usual stun and headbutt back to team combo. Also keep in mind that flash allows you to reach the hanging back nukers with great effectiveness.

So to recap, if Alistar is ignored, he will render enemy carries ineffective or dent/destroy a tower. Not to mention the additional help spamming E will do for your team if they chose to ignore you. If he is focus fired, you can pop your ult, disable some nearby enemies, and soak up damage. If they kill you, that's great, because it means they wasted attacks and abilities on you, and not your fed tristana, twitch, annie, ryze etc.

NOTE: For some reason, even experienced players and teams seem to have a tendency to focus fire Alistar. I have no idea why, but it happens more often than not. I'll end the game 1-8-18 but come out with the win thanks to the 8-1, 7-3 carries.

Doomedo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2010

The guide looks good.

redorkulator

08-06-2010

I build pretty much exactly what you have there, I've been experimenting late game with Attack Speed as Ali hits hard just sloooow. after tank items though.

Jibonader

08-09-2010

I utilized this build last game I was couldn't be touched. At one point of the match, I solo'd the top lane all by myself, took out there last turret single handedly against 5 people, AND succesfully got away.

And they got the idea to stop targeting me in team fights i just walked my way through enemy lines, stunned their veiger everytime, and headbutted him back to our team.

I don't think I've had so much fun in a game, just being able to prance around and do whatever I wanted, GREAT GUIDE!

dovvntempo

08-09-2010

My friend used to play Alistar and he would carry us so hard. The ability to tank the tower and zone out their entire team won us countless games. Especially fun was when I played Anivia, as I zoned the team out with Q. If that thing lands.. Ali headbutts... the rest is history.

god i miss those coordinated games.

SciencePrime

08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by redorkulator View Post
I build pretty much exactly what you have there, I've been experimenting late game with Attack Speed as Ali hits hard just sloooow. after tank items though.
I know my guide is very critical of non-tanky items, but the idea of getting attack speed after building a good tanky set of items actually sounds like a good idea. Once you're beefed up enough that extra speed will help a lot once you got the ult going and are banging on the tower.

Kudos.

SciencePrime

08-19-2010

To jib and dovv,

Good to hear my guide has helped

Still a huge fan of Alistar even though I've been recently digging Shen and Rammus.

malphismia

08-19-2010

Alistar is a good aura champ since he stays alive. I really really really advise rushing aegis after chalice. Frozen heart is a good aura too.

Heal + aegis can help team pushes immensely. Not to mention the MR/AR boost to all your minions and allies is not negligible.

The stats on aegis aura cost over 700 gold,you're buying 3500 worth of gold for your entire team when you do 5-man team pushes or team battles, not to mention the non-aura stats.