[Guide] Katarina AP Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davemaister

09-20-2009

This build relies on mostly teamplay because Katarina will be built more of a ganker than a 1v1 killer. The point of the build is not about making physical attacks but spamming quick cd skills with the least amount of attacking

Skills:

Take note that all her skills cost nothing but time short cooldowns and even shorter ones from hero kills makes her a big threat when ignored

Bouncing Blade - Katarina throws a dagger that hits multiple units, dealing magic damage equal to her total damage plus a bonus amount to the primary target. Each subsequent hit deals 15% less damage.

Awesome skill early game to harass fools who dont get hp regen on early game (if you can hit them) and for last hitting creeps on tough lanes (ie. solo vs. nunu/ryze)

Killer Instincts:
Passive: Katarina's attack speed is increase each time she consecutively hits the same target.
Active: Katarina's next basic attack has a bonus effect. Bouncing Blade deals full damage to every target hit and reduces incoming healing to the targets hit, or after using Shunpo Katarina's dodge chance is increased for 3 seconds.

For the build only use this for shunpo its a waste to use on Bouncing Blade because your Attack wont be high enough to deal significant dmg even on 100%

Shunpo - Katarina instantly moves to her target's location. If the target is an enemy, she deals magic damage.

This will be your bread and butter skill both on hero killing and farming with an almost 1:1 AP ratio this skill deals huge damage for both initializing and last hitting champions

Ultimate: Death Lotus - Katarina goes into a state of extreme focus, throwing daggers with unrivaled speed at one enemy champion for each level of the ability

This ult deals huge damage if left unchecked by the opposing team and killing 2heroes simultaneously almost allows you to recast it.

Passive: Voracity - If an enemy champion dies within 15 seconds of being hit by Katarina, she gains 50 gold and her cooldowns are reduced by 20 seconds.

The 50 gold can be ignored i find it pretty useless since its pretty fast to farm that amount but the main thing is the 20 sec cd reduction. All skills save your ultimate is less than 10 sec so the moment you kill some1 you can use them right up. For the ultimate it pretty much cuts the time in half give or take a few seconds meaning 2kills= ult recast=more kills=teamwipe

Skill Build:
1)Bouncing Blade
2)Shunpo
3)Bouncing Blade(Killer instict if you opposing lane is attack oriented)
4)Shunpo
5)Shunpo
6)Bouncing Blade(I find lvl 1 ult useless since the dmg is too low to matter)
7)Shunpo
8)Bouncing Blade
9)Shunpo
10)Death Lotus(this is so that you get lvl 2 ult next lvl where it does a lot more dmg)
11)Death Lotus(Now you can actually gank people)
13)Bouncing Blade
14)Bouncing Blade(If you took Killer Instict at lvl 3)
15)Killer Instict
16)Death Lotus
17)Killer Instict
18)Killer Instict
Runes:

Marks- Hp/armor or ability whichever you are comfortable of having but i prefer ability since even if you get +100 hp or something it wont make much difference because your defense is bad

Seals-Hp/armor or evasion, nothing is better than champions missing their attacks to kill you

Glyphs- Insight or Force but i prefer force since more ap=more dmg

Quintessence- Evasion if you have seals as evasion this gives you 11% dodge total or force if you picked hp/armor for seals

Masteries:
9/0/21
Offense:
3Archmages Savvy(again more ability=more dmg)
1any of the tier 1 masteries that you feel you need(this is because you need 4 skills to advance)
4Sorcery(why not? this just happens to be a convenient skill over the others since all you want is Archaic Knowledge)
1Archaic Knowledge(15% pen is nothing to joke about and pretty much the only reason you have offensive masteries)
Utility:
3Good Hands(just in case or more like when you die removing 10% makes a difference)
3 on any tier 1 utility masteries i prefer spatial accuracy and 2 on perseverance since I use teleport and perseverance is for the hp not mana
4Awareness (faster lvl= earlier ganks)
1greed(replace this with perseverance if you think you dont need it)
2Utility Mastery(Longer creep buff is good as long as you dont die)
3Quickness(Easier to hunt down people that way)
1Blink of an eye(I use flash so i need this but feel free to put this on another mastery you see fit)
3Intelligence(Again its just convenient that its there otherwise i wont pick it and that gives you a shorter cd on skills)
1Presence of the Master(this allows you to use your summoner spells more specially with Katarina you'll need those spells to live)

Items:

Main Items:
Rylai scepter(i think this is tailormade for her since the item was redone)- This allows every1 who gets hit by your skill(save allies) to get slowed meaning you ult is pretty much an AOE slow as well making others have a less chance of escaping. Your shunpo also becomes a hunting skill because it slows them down a lot and the +HP allows you to tank long enough to see your ult through the very least.
Abbysal Scepter- More ap dmg and resist not to mention the - Magic resist aura allowing your ult to do more damage
Other Items:
Mejai Soulstealer(gives you even more hp yay...)
Zhonya's Ring(i only get it for the AP duh)
Anything that allows you to live longer or have more ap both would be nice

Gameplay:
1-10:
Regrowth Pendant for suvival and then Farm Farm Farm Farm Farm thats all i can say only do ganks on lone heroes with no risk of getting counter ganked because you need Rylai and boots
11-18
Once you get Rylai you can be a bit more reckless on ganks because of the higher hp but try not to let one of your tanks or some1 that doesnt die quicker than you to initialize and then shunpo in and ult. From here on its all about ganking and putting the other team to submission. If you get 2 kills while using ult, shunpo on the next best target and ult again if the other team still has some1 alive near you.

Champions you want on your team
Kayle(Invincibility and regen)
Morgana(Spell block) - Less chance of getting stunned while ulting
Big AOEers such as Nunu, Amumu, Corki and Morgana

Champions you dont want to go against
Stunner/disabler- any champion that can cancel your ult is bad
Morgana- the shield simply ruins your day best hope is to have your team take it off for you

Redrach

09-20-2009

Lich Bane should be mandatory. Getting in a good strong whack on the enemy after you Shunpo is great.

davemaister

09-20-2009

whenever i play ap katarina the only time i would actually attack is when going 1v1 since all you do is shunpo ult and then rinse and repeat unless your hunting people 1v1 which should rarely occur if your playing ap

Aviados

09-20-2009

Been testing AP builds as well tho I take a very different skill and item build.
Taking only a single point in Bouncing Blade for early harassment and then maximizing Shunpo and Killer Instincts.
Playing her as a Hit n' Run assassin with some early turret diving using Killer Instinct->Shunpo.

As for item build -
*Perl->Spirit Visage
*Ninja Tabi or Sorcerer's Shoes
*Start building Rylai scepter
*Sheen->Lich Bane (very important)
*Trinity

Overall been getting some great results with this build.
The mandatory noob bashing SS (yeah I know your all very impressed =/ )-

Redrach

09-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemaister View Post
whenever i play ap katarina the only time i would actually attack is when going 1v1 since all you do is shunpo ult and then rinse and repeat unless your hunting people 1v1 which should rarely occur if your playing ap
No, what you do is Shunpo, Attack them ONCE, then use your ultimate. Then Shunpo again, hit them once, use Bouncing Blade, chase, repeat.
Lich Bane is perfect for a caster who spams his spells and has nothing to do in between spell spamming except attack.

Lich Bane is not meant for DPS heroes as you seem to be saying. After all, its bonus has a 3 sec CD.

Edit: My build is practically the same as Aviados', just a Warmog's late instead of a Spirit Visage early. Force of Nature/Banshee's Veil is optional, depending on the match up. In a super-late game, I would make Sunfire Cape + Atma's Impaler instead of Trinity Force.

Shillen

09-20-2009

I go with a mix ap/dps build and therefore I like trinity force over lich bane.

Not getting killer instinct early is silly as you can tower dive and kill people quite easily with the dodge bonus. Not to mention when you shunpo an enemy hero to harrass him you'll dodge most of the creep attacks when they focus on you saving you valuable hit points. I get level 1 KI at level 3 but I don't get the upgrades to it until levels 14-18.

I also don't agree that level 1 death lotus is weak. I've gotten many kills with it. It's still more damage than you can output without using it.

But overall a nice guide.

davemaister

09-20-2009

ok lets all put it this way i think the ap build differs from playstyle to playstyle as shown on my gameplay section i dont really focus on trying to kill heroes but only killing heroes when viable early game that is why i never got instinct till lvl 12

To Radach:

As i said the build is not for hunting people down by yourself but having regular team ganks thats meant to kill most if not all before leaving the scene. On chasing people yes i would say lichbane is a pretty nice item

Daikaze

09-20-2009

It's a nice build you've got there, but it's lacking in defense. Rylai's and Lich Bane are both great for damage output, more is just excessive IMO. I like to take the +health regen amulet and turn it into that magic resist armor (the names of things elude me ATM); I then add in Ninja Tabi, despite the fact that the dodge doesn't stack well with the Killer (Boosted) Shunpo. Those two items will add to survivability quite nicely.

jerzy

09-21-2009

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Feindish Codex for an AP build on Katrina. It's really nice on her considering that you're skills cost nothing but cooldowns to begin with. Yes, you do end up spending some gold on some useless mana regen but the cooldowns and AP come at a pretty descent price just the same.

In terms of runes, I'd also consider cooldown runes as opposed to AP runes for the same reason mentioned above. Cooldowns are the ONLY thing (stat wise at least) that prevents you from spamming her abilities any faster.

Vindico Atrum

09-21-2009

Lowest you cant get shunpo is 3.95s(iirc), which is fine, no-one is escaping you after Rylai's anyway. Best thing in the world is being jumped by evelynn, while having 500AP. Ult > Dead Eve. She raged.