Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP/Tank Gragas - Runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2knowindeed

06-06-2010

Hallo. I main Gragas and am rapidly approaching level 21. I've been saving my IP for a T3 rune set. I plan to play 9/21/0 since Gragas doesn't need additional attack power or crit and I have had the most success so far that way.

My starting items are a Sapphire Crystal, 1 Health Potion, 1 Mana Potion.
I build the Crystal into a Catalyst and into a Rod of Ages after completing Mercury Treads.
My items after are: Spirit Visage, Soul Shroud, Rylai's Scepter, and Zhonya's Ring if the game goes on that long. I've tried other items builds and find that this one is the best for an AP/Tank mix. I finish with around 4k health and 400 AP.

I say all this to give you the correct context for my next question - what runes would be most effective with this AP/Tank build? I've noticed that Gragas suffers from the need to spam spells with such a small pool, so I was thinking Magic Penetration on Marks (red), Mana Regen per Level on Seals (yellow), either AP or Cooldown Reduction on Glyphs (blue), and either flat HP or HP per level on Quintessences (purple). Your thoughts?

SagiSaca

10-05-2010

I started to main gragas at around lvl 12. I am currently lvl 21 and have tried playing gragas a variety of ways.
current masteries are 0/21/0
I try to play him as a tank focusing on AP and magic resist, but i have found that depending on the opponent carry, I might focus more on armor, depending on the situation.
My starting Item is always the Doran's Sheild and nothing else (I save that extra cash to grab merc treads asap)
Then Spirit Visage, Banshe's Veil OR Thornmail to counter physical carry.
This takes care of the tank aspect for my gragas. I have seen people pull off a mage gragas or a physical damage gragas going cepters and sunfires or whatever... but my main questions are still in the Rune department.
I have grabbed all my blues CD reduction and im planning on getting Magic pen Reds and Mana regen Yellows.
My quins are currently two hp regen, but im planning on switching to Flat health. the reason why i believe the flat 32.4 is better because of the passive. I believe that combined with the mana regen, the little mana pool you get will stay full longer, and thus being able to cast spells too keep happy hour up almost constantly. Having that hp boost early on will make the passive more effective through out the early-mid game. Plus more to play with, more margin of error im guessing.
As far as magic penetration for the reds i believe thats a solid choice. I might be using body slam a lot more than the other moves, but cask is still a great finishing move. Or initiation move, whatever your taste.
Other thoughts:
I have been experimenting with the idea that if when i get all these runes, and if it goes well as I hope it will, the spells i choose might change. I would swap out clarity for ghost for example. Ignite would stay as an all round damage.
Also maybe going leviathans right off the bat could help the situation with the passive even more. Im not sure on this yet. But I did try getting a Rod of Ages before the merc treads a few times and went well.
any comments / suggestions... thanks

Deadmode

10-05-2010

I've been only playing tank gragas a short amount of time, but i love it. I use the same runes that nicosharp (https://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=73252)uses in his tank gragas ad/tank guide. The runes he uses are Attack speed reds, Dodge yellows, ManaRegen/level blues, and Flat Health Quints. It works pretty well with me. You can switch them around to whatever fits you.

Destabilizator

Recruiter

10-06-2010

I'm using MPen reds, MP5/lvl yellows and CDR blues, paired with MS quints (love those).
You've hit the "need to spam spells" -> don't gimp your early game with catalyst, grab chalice and smoke it hard. I also find 9/0/21 too good compared to any other combination (MS, MP5, CDR, CDR on flash/imp. ghost,... compared to lil armor/MR and 60hp and omg 4% reduction? lul) - just with nashor's you are clocking almost 40% cdr.

xXXPRINCEXXx

04-21-2011

ok