Jungle Maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AndurilWielder

3 Weeks Ago

Just starting out jungling with him. I've jungled with Rammus (and Kayle a little bit), but I've seen lots of people play him, play him well, enjoy playing as him, and he seems a pretty good pick.

All in all I'm doing this to seriously get into jungling, as I should have done much earlier. (My friend, level...like, 5, is already trying to jungle. I applaud him. He'll be good some day I bet.)

Anyway, any advice? I don't want to rely on a guide because those are done by people who have favorite builds in certain situations. I assume jungling item is the Spirit of Golem, and Rod of Ages and Rylai's scepter would both be good. For tankiness, thornmail, spirit visage, warmog's...maybe frozen heart?

I'm just babbling and guessing here. So yeah. Curious - any advice? Especially against counter picks to him, and possibly how to play him in certain scenarios.

---

Also feel free to brag if you played an excellent game with him. I'd love to know how you did it, and learn from that example.

Lyle Rachir

3 Weeks Ago

go blue first. e has amazing wave clear/ward usage. and just remember you need to be fast to screw over spells

great pick against an ap team.

Flestiraef

2 Weeks Ago

Take him top. Profit.

Z Grade

2 Weeks Ago

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegen...5033/209552001

I don't remember how that game went, it was so long ago, but it's one of my more recent ones.

As said before, best buff to start with is blue. Start E, and start popping them down at about ~1:20 iirc for easy buff clear. Get Q second and W third for ganking. I still prefer to max Q first, though you may be able to max E first now since they added a slow to it.

For items, rush Ancient Golem and tier 2 boots (mobos and mercs are my favorites), then build what you need. Enemy AD getting a lot of gold? Get a Randuin's. Enemy AP getting the gold? Go for a Spirit Visage or Locket. For more aggressive items, I personally prefer Abyssal Scepter and Iceborn Gauntlet. RoA, while excellent on top Maokai, I feel it takes too long to get on Jungle Mao, but if that's what you like then rush it after Golem.

His biggest issue is simply that he doesn't have an escape, and has huge mana costs, especially on his E and R. Ganking is easy, just root them with W, walk slightly forward then Q them for a slight knockback and slow. E is good for slowing them to catch up to W or for even more slows after you've rooted them. Your laner should be busy killed them while you've locked them down, and you have solid burst early, and it scales decently thanks to the % damage on the W.

Teamfights are simple, you can try to catch a priority target with your W if they get too close and lock them down to get them killed, or peel assassins off your damage dealers. Your ult used aggressively will provide solid damage and keep you and fellow divers alive and while killing the priority target you caught, and if used defensively will make your squishies not so squishy.

Do be aware, Mao is not a late-game carry jungle. You need to get people fed in the lane phase, preferably your bot and mid, with your strong early damage and ganks. Late game you'll be able to punish anyone who's out of position heavily, especially with follow-up from your team. Kinda like Rammus, only with a point and click gap closer and root instead of the powerball.