"Like" button for summoners

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miraje182

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2011

Instead of trying to construct whether a player is a burden for the community, why can't we try and improve our community the other way?

What if after a game we could "like", upvote, +1, or "rep" the summoners who played with us. The amount positive value someone has had in a community certainly should play a factor in how we judge someone.

Criode

09-29-2011

With the amount of trolls a system like this would be much more unreliable. This way at least allows a method of checking behind riot staff. What would prevent summoners from just having friends they are qued with upvote them all the time?

Quote:
The amount positive value someone has had in a community certainly should play a factor in how we judge someone.
And yes in a sense there positive feedback may be appreciated, but not if they are driving other players away from the game as the expense. The tribunals purpose is to make riot aware if "we" believe the player should be punished. Riot will decide the appropriate punishment depending on the offense, the question to the tribunal is simply "Did you violate the Summoners Code?"

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2011

While I appreciate the sentiment, Miraje, I don't care about the nine times someone didn't take a screaming dump all over someone's play experience. We shouldn't be rewarding people (or pardoning their misbehavior) just because they sometimes do what we expect of them.

Ix9

10-03-2011

Quote:
Instead of trying to construct whether a player is a burden for the community, why can't we try and improve our community the other way?

What if after a game we could "like", upvote, +1, or "rep" the summoners who played with us. The amount positive value someone has had in a community certainly should play a factor in how we judge someone.
While I think this is a good idea in general, I don't think that it should replace reporting someone through the tribunal - there does need to be a way to punish players who are intentionally disruptive, offensive, etc. Rather, adding a like option would give us better motivators to cause players to act in a positive manner. Currently, the tribunal system (ideally) tries to influence player behavior by threatening punitive action (and of course carrying it out when the threat isn't enough). But, if we also add an inducement towards positive behavior, then perhaps we can get a bit more.

Additionally, a 'like' option will also lead to more positive team behavior; especially in a solo queue situation it encourages you to interact kindly and politely with your teammates and perhaps even stand up for them (which is totally disincentivised by the current system). Say you are defending one teammate's actions in opposition to the overly critical comments of a third teammate. Most often, you will simply include yourself as a target of the flaming, rather than accomplish anything positive. But, if you thought you could get a thumbs up (with some simple rewards behind it like forum badges or profile banners) then there is suddenly a more persuasive reason to interact positively with your team.

Quote:
With the amount of trolls a system like this would be much more unreliable. This way at least allows a method of checking behind riot staff. What would prevent summoners from just having friends they are qued with upvote them all the time?
You can do the same thing with reporting: 4 friends queue together and report the poor random who ends up on their team because they didn't win. A player driven system is inherently unreliable no matter if it's negative or positive in nature, so I don't really see this as a valid criticism of the idea. Additional safeguards could also be added such as only being allowed to like 1 person in 12 hrs (I also think this should be implemented for reporting, but that's another topic for another post), or preventing multiple likes of the person in a given time period.

Quote:
While I appreciate the sentiment, Miraje, I don't care about the nine times someone didn't take a screaming dump all over someone's play experience. We shouldn't be rewarding people (or pardoning their misbehavior) just because they sometimes do what we expect of them.
Certainly we need to punish those who need punishing, and I think you're right that these 'likes' shouldn't mitigate tribunal-worthy material in any way. When someone is a complete and utter ****** in game they should pay for that. But, I think that allowing some sort of 'like' (alongside the reporting) would be a good way to help encourage positive behavior. Personally, I much prefer the (extremely rare, I must admit) teammate who is encouraging even though I'm having a bad game over the one who just doesn't say anything (needless to say, both are also better than the guy who rages at me) and I would like a way to thank that person a bit more meaningful than just a 'ty' in chat.

LargeSnorlax

10-03-2011

They have this feature already

It's called the "Add Friend" button

That's what I do with summoners I like and want to play with again.

Warwick eat you

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraje182 View Post

other games tried to use/implement this; however, it got spammed and abused. It is a nice idea but it only works in theory.

Warwick eat you

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix9 View Post

You can do the same thing with reporting: 4 friends queue together and report the poor random who ends up on their team because they didn't win. A player driven system is inherently unreliable no matter if it's negative or positive in nature, so I don't really see this as a valid criticism of the idea. Additional safeguards could also be added such as only being allowed to like 1 person in 12 hrs (I also think this should be implemented for reporting, but that's another topic for another post), or preventing multiple likes of the person in a given time period.
except that is why the tribunal is there to weed out the false reports like this. however who weeds out the false +1's in this system? How can one weed them out there would be nothing but the fact that a person voted and maybe their name but, nothing that can tell you if it was warranted or a troll voting on a troll.