The Nine Tails Fox

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DFxKazuto

Senior Member

09-29-2011

So...how do you think she'll be indited into Runeterra...I'm clueless.

I don't see it happening :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baihu

Senior Member

09-29-2011

She'll be from Ionia; which is basically Asian Rivendell (official artwork):


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Birdy51

Senior Member

09-29-2011

I don't know much about the Nine Tails Fox legends/stories in general. Does anyone have a quick synopsis or anything like that to spread light on it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baihu

Senior Member

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy51 View Post
I don't know much about the Nine Tails Fox legends/stories in general. Does anyone have a quick synopsis or anything like that to spread light on it?
It's a legendary trickster demon known as the Kitsune in Japanese lore, although fox trickster demons in general are also present in Chinese and Korean mythology. The nine-tailed specific one though, is actually more based on Japanese myth than Korean myth, although they overlap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DetectiveCactus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-29-2011

This specific one, however, heralds the release of LoL in South Korea so it'll probably be based more on the nine-tailed foxes depicted in Korean mythology. There are some subtle, and some other not-so-subtle differences between them and those in Japanese ones. I think this link will be helpful as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumiho

In it, the nine-tailed fox (or "Kumiho", written as "구미호") is usually a mystical creature which wants to become a human. The usual story goes that in order for it to become so, it needs to eat 100 human livers and so it takes the form of a beautiful woman to seduce passing men and subsequently eat their livers out. It's your guess how Riot will implement this original myth into LoL universe.

To add my two cents, this champion is a direct response to the clamours of Korean players wanting a fair share of representation in the game. I'm a Korean myself, and I really like the fact that I will soon be able to enjoy LoL with much better latencies and everything, but if you ask me I'm not exactly a fan of this whole "Korean champion" thing. Obvious sucking up is obvious, if you ask me. It's even more facepalm-worthy when they actually FAIL at it; look at the GD forum now, it's full of people whining about Naruto and Rasengan.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hegoken

Senior Member

09-29-2011

Why can't they create champions that actually have something to do with the story instead of all these filler champions.

On top of that, I would appreciate more original champions that people based off legends like the monkey king, nine tails fox, what's next? the little mermaid?

I respect the classic stories, and the champions look really sweet, but I don't want them as champs in here.
They're either messing around with the races of runeterra with fox woman and monkey dudes. Or are they just planeswalkers like the dozens of planeswalkers we have in the game already.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iralius

Senior Member

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegoken View Post
Why can't they create champions that actually have something to do with the story instead of all these filler champions.

On top of that, I would appreciate more original champions that people based off legends like the monkey king, nine tails fox, what's next? the little mermaid?

I respect the classic stories, and the champions look really sweet, but I don't want them as champs in here.
They're either messing around with the races of runeterra with fox woman and monkey dudes. Or are they just planeswalkers like the dozens of planeswalkers we have in the game already.
What story? There isn't a set plot in LoL like in other fantasy. It's not like you can pick out main characters and supporting characters. Yes there are story arcs in the lore, but nothing that is a solid, streamlined story involving character ABC and character XYZ and their conflict.

It also seems like they're taking the classics and integrating them into the cultures we have present on Runeterra, hell, you can take many of the champions and draw them to cultures and mythologies of our world. Some just happen to be more overt than others.

I also could be wrong, but it looks like in her artwork she doesn't have tails, so much as a dress that is designed to look like fox tails...

... besides, she comes from Ionia, they have a lot of crazy stuff there. People becoming gods... then turning into unicorn-satyr things...

An ancient sword master who is the oldest human on the planet.

Mystical blades that can be controlled with thought, etc.

Hell, I'm personally happy to see another Ionian champion, we've had a slew of Noxian aligned or neutral champions show up, and we don't even know if she is the next champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hegoken

Senior Member

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iralius View Post
What story? There isn't a set plot in LoL like in other fantasy. It's not like you can pick out main characters and supporting characters. Yes there are story arcs in the lore, but nothing that is a solid, streamlined story involving character ABC and character XYZ and their conflict.

It also seems like they're taking the classics and integrating them into the cultures we have present on Runeterra, hell, you can take many of the champions and draw them to cultures and mythologies of our world. Some just happen to be more overt than others.

I also could be wrong, but it looks like in her artwork she doesn't have tails, so much as a dress that is designed to look like fox tails...

... besides, she comes from Ionia, they have a lot of crazy stuff there. People becoming gods... then turning into unicorn-satyr things...

An ancient sword master who is the oldest human on the planet.

Mystical blades that can be controlled with thought, etc.

Hell, I'm personally happy to see another Ionian champion, we've had a slew of Noxian aligned or neutral champions show up, and we don't even know if she is the next champion.
What story?
Well one of the many that are transpiring through the JoJ, league of Judgements ect.

The stories do connect for those who look.

Swain's league of Judgement is connected to the Noxus vs Demacia war in the JoJ as well as Leblanc's story etc.
Before the whole current Swain arc we had the Ionian oppression and out came Lee Sin. And now Riven also came from that story arc. Not to mention the huge Ionia vs Noxus event was really nice.
Sure in the end the Ionians didn't really effect Noxus what-so-ever, but they got a nice boot! ;D

There are story arcs located everywhere and story related champions like Cassiopeia, Jarven, Talon and such are really nice editions to the story. And it's really neat to have them surface and add to the story.

Characters like Wukong, Brand, Nocturn and such don't do anything. They come out with an intro, a league of Judgement, and interview with the JoJ and never heard from again. They look cool, the character are cool, but they don't add to story, which is very noticeably starting to flounder from used up efforts with champions like these.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iralius

Senior Member

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegoken View Post
What story?
Well one of the many that are transpiring through the JoJ, league of Judgements ect.

The stories do connect for those who look.

Swain's league of Judgement is connected to the Noxus vs Demacia war in the JoJ as well as Leblanc's story etc.
Before the whole current Swain arc we had the Ionian oppression and out came Lee Sin. And now Riven also came from that story arc. Not to mention the huge Ionia vs Noxus event was really nice.
Sure in the end the Ionians didn't really effect Noxus what-so-ever, but they got a nice boot! ;D

There are story arcs located everywhere and story related champions like Cassiopeia, Jarven, Talon and such are really nice editions to the story. And it's really neat to have them surface and add to the story.

Characters like Wukong, Brand, Nocturn and such don't do anything. They come out with an intro, a league of Judgement, and interview with the JoJ and never heard from again. They look cool, the character are cool, but they don't add to story, which is very noticeably starting to flounder from used up efforts with champions like these.
Then maybe you'll notice... they do the JoJ to give the story and the champions to bring the rest of the world to life.

Or did you just think Riot would only focus on Demacia and Noxus? That would get EXTREMELY dull EXTREMELY fast. You can't do much with either nation to produce unique champions.

Noxus: Grim, dark champions. Assassins, necromancers, undead, generally brutish beings.
Demacia: Noble, honorable, 'light' champions.

I think only Vayne and Riven break from tradition with the archetypes, truthfully.

In the end: Your argument is invalid. It doesn't make sense for them to just focus on two city states because then we wouldn't have:

Warwick, Singed, Leona, Pantheon, Akali, Amumu, Annie, Blitzcrank, Brand, Caitlyn, Cho'gath, Corki, Kog'maw, Eve, Mundo, Ez, Fiddles, Gangplank, Gragas, Heimerdinger, Irelia, Janna, Jax, Karma, Karthus, Kassadin, Malzahar, Kayle, Kennen, Lee Sin, Morgana, Malphite, Maokai, Master Yi, Miss Fortune, Nasus, Nidalee, Nocturne, Nunu, Olaf, Orianna, Rammus, Renekton, Rumble, Ryze, Shaco, Shen, Sivir, Skarner, Soraka, Taric, Teemo, Tristana, Trundle, Udyr, Veigar, Wukong, Yorick or Zilean.

All of those champions don't really do much for either Noxus or Demacia, hell if you really wanted to get into it, we'd only need Jarvan, Swain, LeBlanc, Vayne, Garen and Talon right now.

So they release these other champions BECAUSE to do otherwise and just focus on the story at hand for champion releases would get stale and old EXTREMELY fast.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hegoken

Senior Member

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iralius View Post
Then maybe you'll notice... they do the JoJ to give the story and the champions to bring the rest of the world to life.

Or did you just think Riot would only focus on Demacia and Noxus? That would get EXTREMELY dull EXTREMELY fast. You can't do much with either nation to produce unique champions.

Noxus: Grim, dark champions. Assassins, necromancers, undead, generally brutish beings.
Demacia: Noble, honorable, 'light' champions.

I think only Vayne and Riven break from tradition with the archetypes, truthfully.

In the end: Your argument is invalid. It doesn't make sense for them to just focus on two city states because then we wouldn't have:

Warwick, Singed, Leona, Pantheon, Akali, Amumu, Annie, Blitzcrank, Brand, Caitlyn, Cho'gath, Corki, Kog'maw, Eve, Mundo, Ez, Fiddles, Gangplank, Gragas, Heimerdinger, Irelia, Janna, Jax, Karma, Karthus, Kassadin, Malzahar, Kayle, Kennen, Lee Sin, Morgana, Malphite, Maokai, Master Yi, Miss Fortune, Nasus, Nidalee, Nocturne, Nunu, Olaf, Orianna, Rammus, Renekton, Rumble, Ryze, Shaco, Shen, Sivir, Skarner, Soraka, Taric, Teemo, Tristana, Trundle, Udyr, Veigar, Wukong, Yorick or Zilean.

All of those champions don't really do much for either Noxus or Demacia, hell if you really wanted to get into it, we'd only need Jarvan, Swain, LeBlanc, Vayne, Garen and Talon right now.

So they release these other champions BECAUSE to do otherwise and just focus on the story at hand for champion releases would get stale and old EXTREMELY fast.

Wow, someone has a problem reading, I do recall mentioning Ionia (you know, the city-state you're obsessing over) and I also name champions that came from the Ionian conflic, like Riven and Lee Sin.
So if you're going to pretend to be attentive, knowledgeable and willing of argue intelligently, you'll have to at the very least read everything others write. Or stop ignoring certain sections of what was written down.

Do you want another example of a story arc from another city-state, try not to ignore this one. The Freljord pacification act. The very incident that brought the northern barbarians, and the Yeti to join forces with the Freljord. Ashe, Tryndamere, Nu Nu.
Even Cassiopeia came from the Freljord pacification act.

How about another group connected to your favourite city-state, just for you. Zaun, you bet Zaun had a HUGE part in the Ionian war, and from there Warwick and Soraka got their new forms, Singed too rose from that conflict as well.

THESE are all story elements where new champions rose and added to the story and gave a lot of sustenance to the story.

So my argument is not invalid, but I can't convince you so in your own world of yours.


123