What to do When you Like a Champ but are Bad Using them?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mrfishii

05-16-2012

Hey,
First post so, sorry if wrong spot lol.

So my question is what do you do when you like a champ but you suck using them? I have a few champs I find kind of fun and I own and some I do find fun but I suck at everything except KS'ing but that is no fun.

Mantheon Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2012

Get better. If you're stuck on strategies/mechanics, play with bots. Then normals and so on.

AlethiaArete

05-16-2012

figure out what is going wrong. Ask questions. Play around with the champ. Get better. Ignore haters.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2012

knowing how to build and how to use skills solves 99% of problems, the other 1% is who counters them

Kirielis

05-16-2012

I know how that feels, and the only solution is practice. Or give up the champ. My poor TF...

Etherimp

05-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirielis View Post
I know how that feels, and the only solution is practice. Or give up the champ. My poor TF...
My poor "every AP mid champion I've ever purchased"..

I'm horrible at that position all together.

blackenedsummit

05-17-2012

It's pretty simple, you need to continue playing them. I can tell you that if i were to hop on a comercial jet liner and try to fly it i'd suck too. givin i had practice i'd be able to learn it (asssuming i didnt die in the numerous firy crashes).

theres 2 ways this game can be played. First is the one trick pony method, this is where you find that 1 champ that you just absolutly love and play very well compaired to your other champs. Second way is the jack of all/master of none method. this is where you play alot of champs on all roles and become decent with them, you will not play well consistantly but you play consistantly atleast.

most people start out as a method one, some branch from that into a method 2. I used to have my one trick pony, anivia. after i reached level 30 i realised that if i tried to play any other champ it was total culture shock and i just fed. it took a lot to break that molde but once i did i started playing better and learning more about the game that i never noticed before. This doesnt nessesarily mean your bad if you can only play that one champ really well, it means your just still learning the mechanics of the game before trying to learn the mechanics of other champs.

The best thing you can do is go on solomid and look at some guides (more about how the champ should be played and less about builds, runes, ect.) and get on youtube. it will teach you alot more alot faster than you'll learn by playing the game only.

FlavenMan

05-17-2012

It depends. Usually, just practice on bots and normals for as long as necessary until you're good with them.

However, sometimes a champ may be fun, but losing isn't, so you stop having fun with them. Also, some champs may be fun, but don't fit your playstyle.

For example, I think on-hit Kog'Maw is incredibly fun, but Kog is too freaking squishy to match my playstyle. Rumble, on the other hand, is fun as hell AND his abilities are all about chasing enemies and melting their faces. This matches my playstyle much better.

If the champ doesn't really match your playstyle, I would give it up. To see if a champ matches your playstyle, watch a video of a pro playing him. If the choices he makes are usually different than the ones you would make, you probably have a playstyle inconsistent with the champ.

Madraac

05-17-2012

Practice makes perfect... it is still sound advice even if perfection is not truly attainable. Also, find a friend or two who you can practice lane with. Sometimes the issue is that you need a partner. Perfect example is one of my best friends that I game with... makes me suck at this game if we are in the lane together. Partly because I just expect him to know my playstyle and dive when I dive. Partly because I play more aggressive than I should when laning together.

Now his older brother joins the game, and it makes sense for us to lane together instead... I change my style to be more defensive and waiting for the right opportunities, together we often dominate, and my actual friend, does the same in a different lane.

Moral of the story - Figure out what you are doing wrong, and correct it. Do not play beginner bots as it is a waste of time, and go with Intermediate to learn. Second, if you do not want to play 40 minute Normal rounds for practice, switch to Dominion to help learn the nuances of the game. The faster pace means most games rarely last past the 20 - 30 minute mark, and you are playing against equally skilled players relatively speaking, which are almost always better than bots.

Crazy Crann

05-17-2012

Playing vs AI is a good way to get an initial feel for what works on a champion and what doesn't, and is especially handy for mastering skill shots. Most people won't insult you or call you a noob if you die in AI games; learning is what they're for, after all.

Once you feel you have a decent handle on your champ's fundamentals (skillshots, timing, survivability, overall capabilities of the champ, build, etc.), you can start playing normal games against other players -- because, really, that's how you actually learn.

My philosophy (and I'm not a pro, but I am enjoying the game) is to enter with a positive attitude ("I can do this" instead of "I'm new to this champ I'm going to get stomped"), stay positive through the game ("I can turn it around" instead of "OMG I'm looking so noob right now")/ignore people who call you a noob, play defensively (there's no shame in hugging a turret if you don't feed as a result) and don't make stupid plays (i.e. tower diving a WW after 6 without knowing the status of his ult.)