Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Riot is bad at math.

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mistikman

Adjudicator

06-05-2010

Because they have a big spreadsheet internally where every stat in the game has a certain value, and when they made the runes they went and made all the runes of each tier equivalent in value. They didn't set all the rune values manually, and with the budgeting, many ended up with very not round numbers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peach Plum Pair

Recruiter

06-05-2010

Quote:
HydrostaticShock:
But... why?

I can't even fathom why a flat, fixed value such as a +damage rune needs to be a ridiculous decimal instead of just +.25

That extra +.001 damage just makes you too powerful, as Gasty said!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Weiss König

Member

06-05-2010

Quote:
Gasty:
There's no diminishing returns, the discrepancy is due to rounding in the tooltip.


Point taken, but the argument is that values should be displayed accurately to prevent cases where a theoretically sound practice (like the example with Akali) is complicated by a misrepresented value on a rune. Using floating values for non-integers isn't a problem, generally speaking, but in cases where it's noted to be a problem and evidenced by a valid situation, the issue should be fixed, right?

Right.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scyhn

Senior Member

06-05-2010

Quote:
HydrostaticShock:
But... why?

I can't even fathom why a flat, fixed value such as a +damage rune needs to be a ridiculous decimal instead of just +.25



Because the world could just explode if that happens. Its a risk that Riot can allow.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HydrostaticShock

Senior Member

06-05-2010

Quote:
Mistikman:
Because they have a big spreadsheet internally where every stat in the game has a certain value, and when they made the runes they went and made all the runes of each tier equivalent in value. They didn't set all the rune values manually, and with the budgeting, many ended up with very not round numbers.



Well, that makes sense. I think I'm finally satisfied with that explanation, though still midly upset about this in the specific case of getting Akali's passive to activate.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mistikman

Adjudicator

06-05-2010

Quote:
HydrostaticShock:
Well, that makes sense. I think I'm finally satisfied with that explanation, though still midly upset about this in the specific case of getting Akali's passive to activate.


Which as I said is a good point, and probably worth arguing for an extremely minor buff to the rune so it can come to a round number to get her passive at level 1.

What most people do instead is use a single attack damage quint, I believe.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HydrostaticShock

Senior Member

06-05-2010

Quote:
Mistikman:
Which as I said is a good point, and probably worth arguing for an extremely minor buff to the rune so it can come to a round number to get her passive at level 1.

What most people do instead is use a single attack damage quint, I believe.



I thought about that, but I only have one Quint slot at this moment, and I currently enjoy the benefits of the movespeed Quint that I have. Also, the AD Quints, both t1 and t2 are overkill for the amount that I would like to have.

So for now, I suppose I will just suck it up and use the 5th AD rune Until I can get t3 runes, or the rune is changed. Which won't happen since they've already stated that the extra .00004453 Damage on those runes would be OP!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

Recruiter

06-06-2010

Quote:
HydrostaticShock:
But... why?

I can't even fathom why a flat, fixed value such as a +damage rune needs to be a ridiculous decimal instead of just +.25


They're based on % values. T1 runes are 60% of T3 runes, and T2 runes are 80% of T3 runes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kuzah

Junior Member

06-07-2010

You remind me of when I was leveling up and theory crafting based on what level I was at the time. Mostly was when I was playing WoW, but still the same idea. This in itself is loads of fun. Playing with two quint slots and a changing number of rune slots each level makes it a little interesting/challenging besides the fact that some decent runes and quints are so much more expensive than their brothers and sisters. The masteries are also interesting seeing what I different spec I can pull off today as opposed to last week or the next.

Rock on Hydro.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lawful

Senior Member

06-07-2010

Quote:
SuzakuCMX:
That extra +.001 damage just makes you too powerful, as Gasty said!


Oh The HORROR, the INHUMANITY , now the enemy is able to escape away with 1 health? WHYYY, WHYYYYYY?!


123