The Frustration With Personal Score

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyndikate

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagenor View Post
Here's an idea, Take away KDA and personal score out of the in-game display, then team-mate would have nothing to ***** about, :P
Then no one would play dominion.

Soren Kaleth

09-28-2011

How about we just make everything ten points across the board. A flat rate of EVERYTHING. Hows that?

DavidSchwabe

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Kaleth View Post
How about we just make everything ten points across the board. A flat rate of EVERYTHING. Hows that?
This ^
It's reminds me of something you'd say to your kids to stop them from fighting.
...oh

The issue is, that even if you were penalized more for deaths, it wouldn't discourage them for most players.

Lets consider in SR for a moment where most people tend to focus on their kills, then assists then deaths.

As long as you got a high K score right?
Well not really. If you keep your deaths down then the other team doesn't get any gold/xp, which is good for your team.

The main mechanic that discourages people from dying is the time spent dead (where you can't get your K score up! and can't push lanes). I believe this is much more of a deterrent for a casual player than the high D score in the middle.

Sadly this doesn't work in dominion where respawn times are much shorter (I rarely have time to shop when I'm dead). Shorter times don't feel so bad.
Unfortunately the time spent dead can't just be increased, because that would unbalance the game and take away from the fast pace.

I agree with most people where they say the worst bit about the scoring system is people who think that they are the best, due to their high score, and so you can't persuade them to change tact. (I feel more sorry for them for not being able to play a good team game actually).

Remember, Score<>Skill

iamriddik

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferiarum View Post
with the right movement on the map you can survive and still trade with the enemy.
by trade i meant trade kills.

Quote:
Its not like you can hold people for long if you have no chance to survive anyway. Ofc if you see a chance to survive you should hold.
i beg to differ. ive defended tower 4v1 while my team respawns. i know going in there's no way i will survive, but i stop the enemies from capping the point, and allows my team mates to mop up easily when they spawn

IgnisPhase1

09-28-2011

As good as the system is, I personally have a problem with it doing two things:

1) rewarding players for potentially dangerous and stupid behavior.
2) not rewarding certain success.

===

I know "martyring" yourself to stop a cap is cool and all, but sometimes that's a stupid idea. Why reward such behavior with points?

Also, when defending, if the enemy champions get away, you have stalled enemies for a certain time but gotten no reward. You are rewarded if you kill them, but careful attackers who know they can't break you will shift to create the point-zerg elsewhere. You did force them off though...

innervation

09-28-2011

What if everything that you do to earn points is worth 50% more on the bottom 33% of the map?

FullMetalAce0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervation View Post
What if everything that you do to earn points is worth 50% more on the bottom 33% of the map?
Wouldn't be a horrible idea

Skeeep

09-28-2011

I lost 3 games today and I played Ali defending 2 nodes... when we lost I received the blame b/c I was 3rd or 4th even though I almost never lost a node...

btw two of three games had a leaver, and several of my teammates did not speak English.... community is continuing to spiral down the toilet.

lbgsloan

09-28-2011

I've said it before, I'll say it again: eliminate the personal score entirely. As OP says, the current system makes it look like running around like a ****** capping without regard to your own points is the #1 contributer. I've seen Shacos and Teemos that did not actively cap points but instead tried to be as aggravating and disruptive as possible. Done right it is invaluable to the team, but it also nets them low scores and rage from idiot teammates who only look at score. Increasing the points for defending will not solve the problem, the entire scoring system just doesn't make sense.

As OP says my Dominion scores in winning games are usually LOWER than losing games, because those games consist of less capping and killing and more DEFENDING AND ZONING. The scoring system only rewards capping and killing, yet games are won on the low-scoring activities.

Albericht

09-28-2011

Perhaps getting negative score for deaths could be implemented. Far too many braindead players run frantically for kills even at the cost of their own death.