The Frustration With Personal Score

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wasselin

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajiuran View Post
I think a first step would be to penalize a player's score when they die. Too many players are trivializing their deaths and making the excuse that it has no impact on the game-flow.

A more difficult implementation would be to track each player's contribution to continued nexus damage. This could be a more telling and useful meter of success in comparison to arbitrarily inflated numbers.
In some cases dying isn't always bad though. If you distracted 3 enemies who chase you across the map while allies capture points, your sacrifice was probably worth it.

Yes people should realize that dying is still a big negative. I think just better communicating to the deceased player that they have lowered their own nexus health should do the trick.

DavidSchwabe

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeerox View Post
Least deaths, champion kills, point defense or support ally, should gain a boost at the end because in all actuality, they did more than the person who went mad capping points.
Interesting point, made me think of something...

Even if it doesn't effect the score it would be nice to see 'medals' for these types of things (ala halo)
Longest time alive, least deaths, biggest streak, most points capped, most time spend at one point (camper/defender) an interesting stat so you can say "yeh I got a low score, but I was alive on bottom tower for 10 minutes straight"

Just a thought. It also gives players something to compare and generates some fun.
If you could have the medals be awarded in game, that'd be cool.
It would also be cool if they were global, not just on one team.
Imagine an announcement "SummonerX is now the Unkillable with 4:12!" (longest time alive). I know I'd go gank him to end his reign and try beat it

What does everyone think of something like this?
Any Ideas for cool medals?

(sorry if I'm off-topic)

Quote:
A more difficult implementation would be to track each player's contribution to continued nexus damage. This could be a more telling and useful meter of success in comparison to arbitrarily inflated numbers.
Like Kaj said, the other thing that I'd be interested in (but it would be very hard to manage) is to work out how much damage each player did to the enemy nexus (through kills/caps/defending).
The kills/caps would be pretty straight forward but the defending would be VERY hard to measure, as well as the intangible harassing/zone control.

You'd have to implement a system such as:
If you are within ~2000(?) of a cappoint, any damage that point does to the enemy nexus is added to your score. this lasts for 20s(?) or so, so if you chase people off, you don't lose score.
This combined with some of the good suggestions about interrupts etc might work.

Quote:
I think a first step would be to penalize a player's score when they die. Too many players are trivializing their deaths and making the excuse that it has no impact on the game-flow.
Penalizing score probably wouldn't work. The main reason players trivialize deaths is due to the low re-spawn time. Players are able to re-spawn and jump back into the fight where they left off. They aren't out of the game much so they don't get frustrated like in SR. Unfortunately long re-spawns wouldn't work in dominion as the game would change to quickly.
Also, most players focus on the K's not the D's.

Comments? Criticisms?

Dr Wiggles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2011

Here's how I see it, the first person to start capping a point should get the most points, those that come in and just right click (The capture isn't even affected by them clicking) should get 5 points if any), if they actually help the capture they should get 15 points or so, the people warding off the enemies should receive 15 points also. Rewarding someone points for right clicking just for points is asinine.

AnyOtherEnemy

09-28-2011

Reds,
I don't see why this would make the system complicated. Dominion is control points. Team fortress 2 has been scoring control point defense for years with a simple formula. Are you standing on the point while the enemies are trying to cap it? You're defending it. Dominion could be something very similar. Are you "in combat" with an enemy champion while standing on/around a point your team already owns? Did you interrupt the enemy trying to neutralize? You're defending it. Why is this complicated?

Brick Warrior

09-28-2011

Only skimmed the thread myself, but I believe I have a simple and elegant solution - award points based on how long one stays alive.

Perhaps set up a threshold based on a point somewhat higher than the average player life-time, where anyone who dies before that threshold gets no bonus points, but those who survive past it begin to earn periodic extra points - small amounts, at first, and gradually increasing as the player's time alive pulls further and further away from the norm. It would of course cap out at some point, either a flat total cap per life or (preferably) a cap on the rate at which you gain larger bonuses over time.

People engaged in intense fighting with high rates of turnover and short lifespans never get the bonus points, but still get points for their contribution through frantic combat. Defenders, deprived by playstyle necessity of those same combat points instead earn these life-timer points.

Just my two gold,

~Brick

RalphWaldo

09-28-2011

One thing I've noticed is that if you interrupt someone capping a point you get +5, but if they stop capping .1 seconds before you attack them you get nothing, even though in the end you achieved the same result.

Might be hard to code up a fix. How do you know when you made someone stop early?

Geekweezul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamriddik View Post
i agree entirely but how do you separate pre-emptive defending from just getting kills? how can the computer determine "this guy is stalling enemies away from the tower" vs. "this guy is fighting enemies midlane" ?
Not sure if this idea was brought up, but the towers all have their own line of sight, right?

Well could a defender earn points by actually driving an attacker out of the towers line of sight? Like, the attacker would have to have been in the towers sight for 3-4 seconds, and the point gain wouldn't be huge...maybe 3 points per second or something.

Masamune Ryuu

09-28-2011

Adding exponential scores to cancelling a capture in a determined timeframe seems the most simple way to reward defense. (i.e. in 1 minute, first cancel 10 points, second 20, third 30, and so on...). The timer could reset after u complete a combo, say, 5 cancels.

After you cancel a capture, if you kill the canceller right after, you should get more combat points.

The martyr bonus should depend on how many you were against and how much time you stayed in the point, after you engaged in hostility (after the first cancel is probably a good way to code), the more you hold, the more it should reward you.

There you go.

VCJunky

09-29-2011

I am consistently top scorer and I always lose.

I'm starting to wonder if it's because of me, and the score system is just as useless as KDA.

Soren Kaleth

09-29-2011

It all depends. Do you actually capture towers or is your score based on kills VC?