Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen: Warmog's, or no Warmog's?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swayyze

06-04-2010

Hey ya'll.

I've been playing Shen a lot recently, and have definitely come to enjoy playing him. But I'm still a bit weary with my item build so far. Warmog's always sounds like a good idea on paper, until I have to farm the gold for it, and then the creeps for it soon after. By that point, we're usually on to teamfights and I'm unable to get a lot of stacks for it.

My item build always starts with Ruby Crystal, then Mercury's Treads, and usually I get Aegis of the Legion as my second item. It's cheap, provides a nice bonus for me, and also a good buff for allies.

Next is my item that's always in the air. I'd consider it my #2 tank item, and I'm torn between Warmog's, Randuin's Omen, and Frozen Mallet.

Perhaps I've answered my own question though: Randuin's Omen seems to do a little bit of everything. Health, Health Regen, Armor, a slow proc on being attacked and CD reduction passive, and to top it off a nice AoE slow/AS debuff as an active.

I'd say 75% of the guides/builds I've checked out with Shen have recommended rushing Warmog's.. but is it really worth it? I'd love some opinions here. This is all kind of theory here as I haven't had enough matches with Shen to try everything out.

Carados

06-04-2010

I'd suggest adding more utility over pure HP, especially when it's something big like a slow.

Yellow Jester

06-04-2010

I'd say that as a tank you can afford to spread your HP gain over more than 1 item, and as such don't need to gun for the most gold-efficient HP item. You can buy Mallet, Aegis, AND the Randuin's Omen no problem. I'd say that after those 3 items you'd probably want an Atma's Impaler or a Force of Nature.

Mind you i have no idea how shen is at farming.

finalfantasyzeal

06-04-2010

I think people for Warmogs for the synergy with Ki Strike. I think they are a bit daffy.

I go with the same Treads -> Aegis (I usually open with Ruby Crystal, but I'm not as sure about that being ideal)

After that, I am also confused. I guess it depends on the team comp.

If your health is too low go Giant's Belt -> Phage -> Mallet
If your dps is low (as a team) go Phage -> Belt -> Mallet
If your gold income is bad go HoG -> Randuins
If they have a physical carry go Wardens -> Randuins

Seems like you can just agree that they are both good items, and build based on what is happening in game.

Don't be afraid to go Banshee's if they are extremely caster heavy as well.

Ballcoozy

06-04-2010

warmogs is too slow to build and with shen it is hard to get minion kills.

ruby crystal-> heart of gold
boots - treads or swiftness
Wardens -> Randuin's Omen if physical
FoN if heavy magic

build what is needed from tanking items:

Frozen mallet (or ryal's if that suits you)
Sunfires
Thornmail
guardian angel

starks if no one has it

my usual target build is:
Randuin's Omen
Boots
FoN
Frozen Mallet
Sunfire x2

Izikiel

06-04-2010

Warmogs and shen is the best combination.

I've been playing a long time and this combination is incredible:

My items are: boots of speed, then ninja tabi, the regeneration locket for warmogs, then giant belt/ruby cristal, upgrade to warmogs, the i get the items for atma's impaler, atma's impaler and afterwards, sword of the divine for attack speed. Finally, u have 2 items slots free for you to choose what u like, attack, more life, more attack speed, etc.

Hope it helped

Mr Wind Up Bird

06-04-2010

Carados got it in one. HP only keeps shen alive, which is fine and all, but shen is pretty good at staying alive on his own. What you really want are items that keep him alive and also make your team better or disrupt the other team. I typically build Aegis and Randuin's Omen, but Frozen Mallet and Sunfire Cape are also good on him. I could even see Soul Shroud if you had a team full of casters(but one of them should probably get it instead).

OJ Da Juiceman

06-04-2010

god say no to warmogs, bad item on almost all chars

Kelvan

06-04-2010

you need a ridiculous number of minion kills to charge warmogs, there are better items.

Naphtal

Recruiter

06-04-2010

sunfire > warmogs