turret ai and heimers turrets

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ripplez

06-04-2010

sorry if this doesnt belong in the new players forums, it concerns the turrets ai so i figured itd belong here

my question is this - sometimes when i place heimers turrets near the tower, the tower will sometimes shoot heimers turrets at first opportunity and sometimes it will shoot other surrounding minions first. i havent been able to figure out why on sight. it seems to happen at any range, close or far from the tower. does anyone know why?

EDIT : after testing in practice mode ive found out that towers hit turrets if the Heimer Turret (HT) hits the tower itself but not if it hits a minion. that doesnt seem covered int eh tower ai

EDIT 2 : ive finally figured it out, ignore the top edit (kept there for history/context). if you place HT in line AND behind a minion, the tower will target that minion first before targetting the turret. BUT if HT has no minion in front of it, irrespective of the distance of the other minions from the tower, it will go after HT first. if you keep the HT midway between two minions

MM
T

it will finish the two minions first. so the best way to keep the HT alive is to place it behind a minion grouping, like the mage minion line. whether it shoots the minions or the towers doesnt matter (i think it would be targetted if against a champion, i was testing in solo practice mode so couldnt check)

things i dont know are true : 1) if the minion-blocking is checked in a radius around the tower or not. i checked it only by putting the minion directly in front of the tower.
2) if the minion that blocks the HT is the one targetted first over other available minions or not
3) if you can championblock the same way as the minions. more risky but it seems like youd be able to keep the turret alive till every other minion is dead this way, which might have niche use. its just interesting if it did work

this isnt covered in the turret ai. and while im willing to accept that this might just be down to random luck, i tested it a few times before making this post and the minion-blocking had worked each time (aka 3. i get bored easily :S)

im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, i will move it if it is. i would love to know what part of the turret ai causes this to happen

tbh its kinda arcane :O

Urobolus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

Heimer's turrets have some sort of a "special" targeting priority. It usually depends on
1. What's around it
2. How far they are to it
3. How many there are

All I know is minions come first, then Turrets, then Champions. Neutral creep take 100% priority if ever placed near one.

Ripplez

06-04-2010

im not talking about heimers turrets. im talking about the team tower that targets it and why it seems to randomly target/not target it. the actual thing that seems to cause it seems to go beyond the tower ai description

also i dont want to get banned, i asked the qestion originally as a newbie not knowing how the tower ai worked but now that ive answered it, it doesnt seem to fit anymore what forum do i move it to? ill move it there. sorry