Kat - Still Imbalanced: Reasons Explained.

1234511 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ColeWinters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

I am sure there are very many threads about Katarina. A lot of people QQ about this champ and complain that she is overpowered and imbalanced.

In this thread I will have to throw my two cents in there and agree. In my opinion she is an unblanced champion, that needs to be reworked so that she can't single handedly carry a team to victory with a pentakill ace while she built as a tank hybrid.

Katarina is a great champion concept, and I can see the allure of her abilities. However, I feel that her abilities make her extremely difficult to kill, and overpowered with her current configuration.

Kats Ult:

Katarinas ult does large amounts of damage very quickly, and because kills are almost always assured, The cooldown becomes extremely low for such a game changing ultimate move. Comparitivly, people who enjoy playing Kat are going to be upset with me for making this post and will site other aoe ult champs as being "just as good" so shes not op at all. Case in Point: Nunu/Fiddlesticks.

Both fiddlesticks and nunu have amazing aoe ults that can potentialy change the game. Just like Kat, they can ult into a teamfight and get multiple kills. However:

NuNu has to charge his ulti, giving faster players the 3 seconds they need to throw out a stun/escape the radius, effectivly saving their teammates from the full damaging potential. Also, After the ult ends, Nunu then has to chase low health players, using his ice ball slow/bloodboil as his chasing mechanics, however, a faster champion will usually escape to safety. On the flipside of that coin, if Nunus ult was ineffective and he has to retreat, now you have to run like hell, and if Nunu built AP, he normally cant take all that attention. Weaker Ult.

Fiddlesticks also has to charge his ulti, giving a visual and Audio queue to players to run! Stunning fiddle does not stop the damage from his ulti, allowing him to continue to wreak havoc after eating an ashe arrow. Better than Kat right? Wrong. Fiddle is a caster, most ranged dps carries [TF, ASHE, Teemo] Can kill an ulting fiddlesticks in about 4 seconds. The downside to fiddle is the fact that the radius is small enough that he has to get right into the fray to be effective...a risk some fiddles learn is not always beneficial. Not to mention Fiddlesticks has very little chance to escape/chase an enemy champion. Weaker Ult.

Kats Shunpo:

Shunpo is a unique ability, but the relativly short cooldown allows it to be exploited as a "initiating Positon" ability or "escape". I feel like Kats shunpo is imbalanced in the way it allows her to close/open distance between herself and her enemies. Especially as lower levels.

The most annoying thing is that you can never escape Kat..her movement speed and the ability to shunpo to you to get the kill and end the chase makes her far to mobile all through the game.

Kat not having mana:

Other carries like Corki/Ashe/Yi/Gangplank. have incredible potential to get multiple kills with powerful ultis. However, all of these champions have to micro-manage their mana usage to be viable and effective. Kat is stronger in the laning phase because she doesn't have to worry about this issue.

Bottom Line: Katarina is an imbalanced Champion that needs to be re-examined for possible ways to make her less over powered in her current configuration. As a final note: Garens backstory highlights a romantic hostility between himself and Katarina, siting their equal prowess on the battlefield the main reason for their attraction to one another.

Come On? Kat and Garen Equals? If the backstory had a shread of truth it would read:

"In a whirling spin of throwing blades, Garen was smited from the face of the earth by the much more skilled warrior Katarina. And then Warwick wore Garens Skin."

Feel Free to comment.

Daikaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

TL DR

Get Magic resist

Thread/

Please don't litter this board with QQ threads.

Lucifer of Pride

06-04-2010

First, Kat VS Garen head to head is going to be Garens win every time. Garen can shut down Kat's ult with q and has crazy damage. Kat can only beat him by harassing for a minute, then moving in for the kill when he's low. Kat's ult vs nunu's? Nunu's is easier to escape but does more damage then Kat's. A fair trade. Vs Fiddles ult? He can move+fear + AoE silence a team. If he flashes in with his ult in a 5v5 team fight in a cramped area, Fiddle's side will always win hands down. The last thing I want to hear is fiddles ult is weaker then Kat's.

Kat is a great harasser but she kinda seems to need snowball items to be effective late game. Also, she is not really a carry. At least, there are other roles that she does better, and all the other carry's you mentioned carry better.

I think Kat is just fine.

Salty Santa

06-04-2010

TL; DR

Get stuns, get magic resist. Stop failing

Venom Stoneice

06-04-2010

Revert to pre-buff: is she still op?

Fluffy1

06-04-2010

kat never has been op, even before all the nerfs in the first place. tanls make her cry, especially alistar.

Viro Melchior

06-04-2010

While I agree with the *subject* of the post, I was hoping to find a well thought post lining things up (good title, got my hopes up).

However, this thread misses the core reasons why Kat can be argued as OP:

1) Bouncing Blades (especially paired with even 1 rank in KI) is an insanely effective early game harassment - probably a bit too good for the 0 mana and low cooldown (and yes, 8 seconds is low if you go compare across other champions harass moves that they use level 1-6).

2) The cooldown on Death Lotus is too low AND she has a cd reduction mechanic. This almost got mentioned, but it feels like it got skipped over by the OP. Kat's ult is a 60 second cooldown, -15 seconds off any kill or assist. Fiddlesticks has a beefy 150 seconds. Nunu weighs in at 150/120/90 cooldown. For a 0 mana move, Kat should really be looking at a 120 second cooldown while still benefitting from her cooldown reduction mechanic. As is, you can get 10% innate cdr (3% offense tree mastery, 7% runes), meaning if you get 2 kills when you death lotus, the cooldown timer will be 24 seconds - on par with Ryze's spam-ult. At 120, this puts her at a 78 second cooldown - something actually reasonable for such a potent ultimate.

ColeWinters

06-04-2010

In Addition:

[Thanks to those who added their thoughts]

With a fully stacked Leviathan her dmg reduction is 50% after a shunpo.

Cat Girl Sakuya

06-04-2010

Kat is fine.

/thread

spoden

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris11 View Post
Kat is fine.

/thread
yes.

1234511 ... 13