Does cooldown reduction stack?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

So does cooldown reduction stack or does it just select the greatest modifier in your inventory?
If it does stack, then how does it work?
If I had a Nashor's tooth (25% cooldown reduction), a soul shroud (15% cooldown reduction), and a brutalizer (10% cooldown reduction), does that mean i get 50% cooldown reduction or do i get 42.625% cooldown reduction?

If the mechanics work as stated in the former, then is it possible to reduce all your spell cooldowns by 80%? (or really any theoretically ridiculously high number).
halpz plz?

Vendur

06-04-2010

Cooldown caps at 40%. So take the most ideal route to 40%.

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

but how does it work?

TKana

06-04-2010

How it works is quite easy:
say you have an ability with 10 seconds cooldown. 20% cd redux will mean it ouly take 8 seconds to cooldown, and 40% means 6 seconds.

Cooldown redux adds up. 10%+15% = 25%, with a cap at 40%. Keep in mind that you usually cant stack the same item with cooldown reduction, as its a UNIQUE ability on that item. Several different items with UNIQUE cooldown redux will stack.

TKana

06-04-2010

Quote:
If I had a Nashor's tooth (25% cooldown reduction), a soul shroud (15% cooldown reduction), and a brutalizer (10% cooldown reduction), does that mean i get 50% cooldown reduction or do i get 42.625% cooldown reduction?
40%, as that is the cap. If there wasnt a cap, it would have been 50%. Keep in mind you can get cooldown reeduction from runes and your masteries aswell.

Ducktator

06-04-2010

Just make sure your not making the mistake to stack Unique items as it will profit you nothing.

Also dont get caught into the trap of thinking if i can just get my cooldown to always be available I will win every encounter, hard stats are gonna be a better choice in some cases.

Fallen 62

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktator View Post
Just make sure your not making the mistake to stack Unique items as it will profit you nothing.

Also dont get caught into the trap of thinking if i can just get my cooldown to always be available I will win every encounter, hard stats are gonna be a better choice in some cases.
To expound on what they are saying about the "unique" stats: when you mouse over an item, it gives you a description of what the item does. If it says "Unique [Passive/Active]:", that affect doesn't stack with another of the same item. So, if you got 2 Frozen Hearts, you wouldn't get 50% CDR (the max CDR is 40% anyway), you would only get 25% CDR. You would, however, get +198 armor and +1000 mana, as those stats aren't unique.

Gaeb

06-04-2010

Cooldown reduction stacks additively (10% + 10% = 20%) from masteries, runes, champ abilities (ie: heimer ult), neutral creep buffs (golem), unique item boosts (but only one of any 'unique' boost), and non-unique item boosts to a max of 40%.

10 second cooldown @ 10% CDR = 9 second cooldown
10 second cooldown @ max CDR = 6 second cooldown

Things that stack multiplicatively are dodge (10% dodge + 10% dodge ~= 18% dodge) and as of last patch percentage penetration (ie: void staff + mastery is no longer 40% + 15% = 55% but now more like 50%)

Vendur

06-04-2010

multiplicative increase should always be higher. So, must be more than a multiplication going on there to get 1.18 versus 1.20.

Gaeb

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendur View Post
multiplicative increase should always be higher. So, must be more than a multiplication going on there to get 1.18 versus 1.20.
I see your point, but in the decrease realm this is how it works:

Stacking additively: 10% + 10% = 20% reduction (80% of normal)

Stacking multiplicatively:

(100% * .9) * .9 = 81%

Multiplicative always starts with the highest # (ie: If you have 2% innate dodge and buy a ninja tabi for 12% more dodge, it does (100 * .88 ) * .98)