Wanted: Champ-Specific Summoner Spells

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

Yeah, groups of spells would be a middle-ground option. I considered that before I posted. They would also take less effort in animating, as there wouldn't be as many.

Dr Morganski

06-04-2010

First i was all like: "idiot"

Then i was all like "That's a pretty **** awesome idea"

JohnnySmash

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2010

Wouldn't be good. Think about it:

-It's just a backwards way to give the champion a fifth spell.
-If the champion has a different ability that isn't so great people will say "Just remove the summoner spell and replace that one ability so we don't waste a summoner spell slot."
-If the summoner spell is good everyone will probably use it on that champion, so that champion basically has five spells and one summoner spell slot. Thus we're just diluting the coolness of summoner spells by having a ton of champions with five spells and one summoner spell slot.
-If the summoner spell is bad it basically won't exist or ever be seen.
-Lots of design resources/animations/icons just to have a fifth spell replace one of the summoner spell slots.
-If you think it's not a fifth spell because it will have a long cooldown, guess what they can give normal spells long cooldowns too, which is a big fat design vein they haven't tapped enough.

selenvar

06-11-2010

but then only some champions would use that summoner spell, and they would be set with it, and it would add even more balancing issues to the game, i just don't see this working sorry.

ZenithZephyr

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySmash View Post
Think about it:
This may come as a shock to you, but I've thought about it quite a bit.
Quote:

-It's just a backwards way to give the champion a fifth spell.
No, this is a forwards way to give a champion a fifth spell that is unique. All champs have 7 spells, but two of them universal spells that all champions have access to.

Quote:
-If the champion has a different ability that isn't so great people will say "Just remove the summoner spell and replace that one ability so we don't waste a summoner spell slot."
Then things would remain exactly as they are now, with champs selecting from the other 13 (actually 11 cause no one takes revive or fortify) spells, wouldn't it?

Quote:
-If the summoner spell is good everyone will probably use it on that champion, so that champion basically has five spells and one summoner spell slot. Thus we're just diluting the coolness of summoner spells by having a ton of champions with five spells and one summoner spell slot.
You think it's cool that the same 11 spells (with heavy emphasis on 5 or 6) get used every game? I don't think that's cool at all. At least not compared to having more variety. Also, if the champ summoner spell is on par with the others (which is the goal), it will give more builds. I bet 90% of the Ryze's you've seen in the game have some combination of Flash, Ghost, and Ignite, with the other 10% taking one of those three and Clarity. The champ summoner spell being useful and incorporable into a legitimate build is not a negative, but a positive, and improves the diversity of the game.
Quote:
-If the summoner spell is bad it basically won't exist or ever be seen.
Like revive and fortify? Those spells existing and not being used very often isn't exactly breaking the game. Nor would a bad champ spell.
Quote:
-Lots of design resources/animations/icons just to have a fifth spell replace one of the summoner spell slots.
So you wouldn't want something interesting to be made because it might take work?
Quote:
-If you think it's not a fifth spell because it will have a long cooldown, guess what they can give normal spells long cooldowns too, which is a big fat design vein they haven't tapped enough.
I suppose so, but that's not really relevant to this thread.

Nieco

06-11-2010

if they put this... riot will have a hard time balancing it... IM SURE 10000x wil lcomplain like blah balh that spell is imba that spell is broke that spell is sht blah blah >-<

Stoertebeker

06-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazarn View Post
I like the idea, but instead of every champ getting one or two unique ones, how about adapting the current ones and applying an archetypal spin on each
whats with hybrids and chars with many different playstyles? Would be not so fine if they get more different summoner spells then other champions do.

I think summoner spells are fine as they are, BUT some of them just suck and i never see them, cause they can't compete with some others (ignite, exhaust, cleanse). I never saw someone using clairvoyance for example. And when i see someone with Rally and Fortify i think to myself "wtf". Sure, there are situations where Rally can help to push a tower faster and Fortify helps too keep one. But srsly, those towers go down with or without those spells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithZephyr View Post
Like revive and fortify?
Revive is for beginners, it isnt meant to be used later imo.

Layotees

06-20-2010

This would **** up balance so bad.

Hey, lets change EVERY CHAMPION!