Wanted: Champ-Specific Summoner Spells

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

Take a look at your champ. Your champ has a passive, and four abilities that are completely unique. Even if very similar to another passive or ability, no two are exactly the same. On the right, you have two summoner spells. They are exactly the same for each champion. They represent the "summoner" and not the champion, but what if the summoner and champion could work together to do something unique?

I think Riot should implement champ-specific summoner spells to promote yet more diversity.

FLAVOR

Some people might argue that this would disrupt the flavor of summoner spells, but the flavor of the summoner casting the spell as opposed to the champ is already challenged in many ways. Why does casting ignite trigger Malzahar's and Ryze's passive? Why can't the summoner flash the champion when the champion is stunned or silenced? The summoner isn't stunned. Worst case scenario, call it the summoner channeling his or her power through the champ in a way they couldn't through another medium.

MECHANICS

What's this do for us? It adds diversity. It gives us more options, and less of the same abilities on numerous champs every game.

What if Annie could take a PBAOE (that's point blank area of effect, 0 range) damage ability instead if ignite, flash, or cleanse? Does that sound cool? No? Then you're still free to pick Ignite, Flash, and Cleanse if you want.

What if Ryze could regain his old ability to convert a portion of his AP to attack damage for 12 seconds?

The possibilites are endless.

BunnyOnSteroids

06-04-2010

You mean you want to make additional abilities that only a specific champion can use...?

I don't get it.

DarklordJoseph

The Council

06-04-2010

I think this is a great idea, but it will take additional time to balance before being
implemented.

The bad part about it though is that more options with summoner spells is an
advantage. So if every single champion doesnt gain one of these additional abilities
to choose from, then it will be slightly imbalanced from the champs the have the ability
to choose one.

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyOnSteroids View Post

You mean you want to make additional abilities that only a specific champion can use...?

I don't get it.
Yes. As Joseph mentions, having each champ get one would be a good start. These abilities would be summoner spells, like Cleanse or Ignite, and use up a slot for those spells.

mastershakezz

06-04-2010

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Shen Zuo

06-04-2010

I hope Riot puts this on their to-do list.

Shazarn

06-04-2010

I like the idea, but instead of every champ getting one or two unique ones, how about adapting the current ones and applying an archetypal spin on each

eg.
Assassin's heals could be self only, but be a bit stronger as a result, where as tanks would have theirs spread out a bit further at the cost of their own.
Ghost on a mage might apply a small healing buff where as a fighter would gain a small damage buff
Teleport on a Support might take one target with them, where as an assassin's might turn into a longer ranged flash
(pulling these out of my arse, no balance thought put in in the slightest.)

This still diversifies the abilities but reduces the amount of balance and creation that has to be done, as if unique abilities or ability effects for each champ went in, I don't think they would be very expansive or fun due to the huge amount of time/work req.

Nitrosol

06-04-2010

I like it, and with the removal of flash (we all know it's coming), we will need something to fill the void in our hearts.
Perhaps make it even more interesting.
Make it fill the void in a champion's design (i.e Mal's extreme vulnerability during ultimate) at the cost of both summoner slots?
Like make his spell something along the lines of a Zhonya's Ring that doesn't break channeling.

Kazkal

06-04-2010

Would be interesting if they and groupings of summoner spells like one that only characters from void could use and one that only Barbarians could use.

Taccou

06-04-2010

or summonerspells for the different types of champions, not different champions itself.
Tanks - Damagereflect for some seconds
Mages - Manasteal (% of damage converted to mana) for next x attacks or seconds
Supporter - AoE for Supportspells but with reduced effects for next spell (would be OP i think but was just an idea)
Fighter - % Damageincrease

these are all just ideas to show how i mean it.