Ninja Questions?! (Shen Build Help)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krizen

08-26-2010

Hi . I've only been playing for maybe 3 weeks and decided I needed some advice in hopes to up my game a bit. With the server down and the inability to run any more games, I found this the perfect opportunity to post on the forums.

I run a Tank Shen (norly?) and I've been playing him for a bit. I've read several guides on the forums already and ran through game after game trying to get better. After all the reading and experimenting with various builds and play styles, this is how I've found the most success.

Summoner Spells
For Shen it's eithar Ghost,Teleport,Exhaust or Heal and that's just if I want to change things up or run a Heal team. The majority of the time I run Exhaust/Ghost

Champion Abilities
Err, nerfs QQ.
~ & BUFFS

Some people may not of realized.. but riot pretty much took the shield from R and put it into W to make W better :]. I find W way more viable now and have changed up the way I run my abilities.

I usually start off with Vorpal Blade (Q) and then Shadow Dash (E). From there, if i'm getting harassed i'll run Feint (W) or i'll run another point into Q. By level 4 I run a W if I already don't have it or another point into Q. So at level 4 i'm always Q-2, W-1, E-1 . Afterwards, it all depends on how the game is going. From there the priority is maxing out Q and depending if i need to play more defensively (W) or I need to run more offensively (E). I grab one point on Shen's ult at level 6 and leave it until everything else is maxed out first. Don't get me wrong, I use my ult all the time, just the other abilities are just more effective. Since my ult is only at 1 until late levels, I just have to use it earlier, time it better, and overall have better map awareness.

Item Build
1.Doran's Shield + Hp Pot
2.Boots of Speed -> Mercury Treads
3.Heart of Gold -> *Randuin's Omen
4.Spirit Visage

*Spirit Visage before Randuin's Omen

For items 5 & 6 it all depends on the opposition and I tend to run these items depending on the situation.

Sunfire Cape
Thornmail
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil
Aegis of the Legion
Guardian Angel

I haven't hit the level cap yet so i don't have a full rune page nor do i have all 30 mastery points available.

BUT when I do, I plan to do the following:

Masteries
It's either 9/21/0 while picking up improved Exhaust or 0/21/9 whilst picking up improved Ghost.

Runes
Glyph of Shielding (Magic Resist per level)
Seal of Evasion (Flat Dodge)
Mark of Desolation (Flat Armor Penetration)
Quntessense of Fortitude (Flat Health Points)

soo this is how I run Shen, Thanks for reading and any sort of feedback is GREATLY appreciated. It would also be amazing to hear or be pointed towards some Shen strategies and/or tips. (I can't seem to find a Search function within this site, sadface*)

Niiles

08-27-2010

Don't get spirit visage and banshee's veil.
It's not that both items are bad... Banshee's is really good, but you're getting mana?
+ you have no health regen abilities, hence wasting gold on Spirit Visage.
Force of nature (although it should be a late game item) would be a better choice (if vs magic heavy)

Randuin's shouldn't be your first item. It gets better with every defense stat you have,
and you could be stacking up better stats beforehand (Randuin is for against heavy physical dpsers)
If it is versus physical, you should be getting Ninja tabi's instead of Mercury.
(Mercury only when they have 2~3+ CC's or 0~1 physical dps)

In the end, it all comes down to what you're facing with
and who's carrying the other team.
Always check your death recap when you should die.
You can check which kind of dmg type you died to.

I grab 1 point in W, max out Q, then E, then W (6,11,16 R, obviously)
P.S. I just go 0/9/21 with masteries, Nimbleness and summoner CD reduction.
because the only reason I find the 21 in defense is
when you're planning to go fortify, which I see you are not.
This is optional, and solely my choice, and I am sure there are better masteries.

Pwnacus Maximus

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiles View Post
Don't get spirit visage and banshee's veil.
It's not that both items are bad... Banshee's is really good, but you're getting mana?
+ you have no health regen abilities, hence wasting gold on Spirit Visage.
Force of nature (although it should be a late game item) would be a better choice (if vs magic heavy)

Randuin's shouldn't be your first item. It gets better with every defense stat you have,
and you could be stacking up better stats beforehand (Randuin is for against heavy physical dpsers)
If it is versus physical, you should be getting Ninja tabi's instead of Mercury.
(Mercury only when they have 2~3+ CC's or 0~1 physical dps)

In the end, it all comes down to what you're facing with
and who's carrying the other team.
Always check your death recap when you should die.
You can check which kind of dmg type you died to.

I grab 1 point in W, max out Q, then E, then W (6,11,16 R, obviously)
P.S. I just go 0/9/21 with masteries, Nimbleness and summoner CD reduction.
because the only reason I find the 21 in defense is
when you're planning to go fortify, which I see you are not.
This is optional, and solely my choice, and I am sure there are better masteries.
wrong on two points. banshees is amazing on anyone, mana or not, and shen does have health regen in his Q.

Krizen

08-27-2010

Actually, my first item is Spirit visage. I mentioned that in the OP. It allows me to lane better with the health Regen(via vorpal blade) & the cool down reduction helps me spam feint a lot more for survivability and tanking. It also provides magic resist and is on the cheap end (Shen not a great farmer). I've been iffy on it and actually am still looking to replace it but it feels like its the best fit as my first base item after Doran's Shield, Boots & Heart of gold (build into radio).

As for the mercury treads vs the ninja tabi boots. The majority of the time your facing a balanced team. So the majority of the time the mercury treads are better for you. I ALWAYS pick it up none the less, face it, as a Tank, you are going to get CC'd.

Banshee's Veil ~ Your throwing away banshee's veil just because it gives you mana? I understand what your saying and that same thought ran by my head when it said +mana as well, but you can't throw away the item just because of it. As Pwnacus Maximus previousily stated, the Banshee's Veil is overall good for everyone. The +Health is nothing to laugh at, it provides needful MR and its ability is one of a kind.

FoN > Banshee's Veil. err That's opinion and it all depends on the other team and your playstyle.

For the abilities; I used to run that exact same same setup prioritizing R->Q->E->W (While picking up one point in W at low levels). But ever since the nerf (&buff) i find W way more needed now since, you ARE a tank and W is a shield that soaks up damage. They kind of hand in hand don't you think ? =]

Masteries Your a tank, the more defense the better. But that's just how I feel, masteries are based on your play-style.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.