Amumu vs Rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Obi Wan Kaczynski

09-19-2009

Who do you think is the overall better tank?

personally, I like amumu due to his farming capability and reactive damage, and his ult's usefulness in team fights.

Rammus' entire utility lies in his taunt, which i find boring.

Elmentar

09-19-2009

Better TANK or better in a team fight? Rammus can take a lot of damage. Amumu can take a lot of damage and deal a lot out. I'd probably say Amumu overall since Rammus still gets raped by magic(even with his defensive stance ability =/ )

Gimpb

09-19-2009

That's a toughie and when it comes to killing things, Rammus no longer has the pew pew power that Amumu now wields. So if you're on a team that needs someone who can initiate, is hard to get rid of, and does pretty good damage then Amumu is where it's at. He is certainly closer to a carry than rammus.

However, if your team needs someone to draw the fire and disable them, that's where Rammus shines. In the end, you can ignore Amumu and he won't really do all that much besides use his ult (which can't really be stopped).

Amumu needs to get hit to do decent damage so leaving him alone and saving him for last is a very good option. On the other hand, if you leave rammus alone he's going to be taunting your carry, slowing groups of players, and doing steady wide area aoe damage. The real kicker is at the end of the fight though; you can run from amumu fairly easily--rammus runs you down.

So ignoring rammus is a comittment to win or die. Ignoring Amumu is standard procedure.

Nayuki

09-19-2009

Let's do some comparison of situations:

Versus a Mage:

Amumu -

You have two options - you can try and bandage haul your way to the mage who is almost certainly ranged or you can get in range and ulti him then waddle up and smash/tantrum. The first option is very difficult as anyone worth their salt will shift around their own creeps as soon as Amumu moves into a good spot and the second will kill all the creeps (killing your tantrum bait) as well as not providing a great deal of time to get up to the enemy. You can bandage toss after ult though if they try and run and a decent Amumu has a pretty good shot of landing and doing some good damage then.

Rammus -

You will take less damage if you are forced to just run into the fray as you are able to activate your Defensive Curl but unlike Amumu who can lock down with a bandage/ult anything you try can be stopped by a CC/Silence. Getting into Melee with the mage is arguably a good deal more difficult for Rammus than Amumu. That said once Rammus is -in- melee it's nearly impossible to escape. Powerball slows you, you're going to be eating his ult and odds are he taunts you so you can't use any spells/have to sit in his face. A Rammus who is in melee will tear the mage to shreds within moments where Amumu just lacks that damage ability once in melee.

Outcome -

Amumu can get up to fighting range with a mage much more safely and reliably than Rammus, but he can't do anything once he's there really. Rammus is going to have a very hard time getting up close on a smart mage but will absolutely decimate them once he makes it. I'd lean a little towards Rammus on this.

Versus a Melee DPS:

Amumu-

Time to shine, little buddy. Melee DPS usually does several lighter hits so spam tantrum for all you're worth and slap up that AOE % hp while at it to add insult to injury. Your ult isn't to handy here unless they try to run and really can just use bandage then. This is probably the type of enemy Amumu has the best chance against of them all.

Rammus-

Rammus probably will have the armor to shrug this off and getting in melee range of a powerball is just asking for the hurt (Ask Katarinas who shunpo into it, lulz) let alone the ult/taunt combination. Problem is you'll get hurt by CDs in this, once you are both on cooldown they will be doing more damage to you than them most likely and unless you out equip/level them bad things may happen.

Outcome-

Amumu has the tantrum and the percentile damage which really rape this battle. While Rammus is still a contendor, think Amumu does better in this situation.

Versus a Tank:

I'm not even dignifying this with a comparison - Amumu. Percentage of max life every second, anyone? Ya, Rammus is awesome but when you have a toggle ability than could do 157.5~ damage a second on top of his standard stuff to a 4.5k hp enemy how do you compare to that?

Versus a Ranged DPS:

Amumu-

You're gonna be hurting here probably much like the mage. Any good ranged hero has a nasty snare up their sleeve and will dance around their creeps making you a pincushion. Sure, you have more hp and armor but they won't eat a bandage unless they're idiots and will never get in range of Tantrum/Despair...unlike...

Rammus-

You might be in for a slightly hard early game unless they fall for a silly Power Ball (which will end them VERY quickly) but in late game you will decimate because no matter how much they can slow you they do physical attacks. With Rammus able to look at 300+ armor very early with the right rune slotting and having no reason to get anything but armor and movespeed really (maybe a smatter of health/regen on the way) he will just take ranged attacks and chase you right into towers in a rolling Power Ball of fury. It's very difficult to do enough damage through armor to stop a good Rammus with ranged DPS.

Outcome-

I'd take Rammus over Amumu any time in this combat. While both will have trouble approaching through the plethora of snares/stops most of these type of heroes have Amumu is to obvious in all his ways of closing the gap where as Rammus is simple inevitability. You see him as a ranged and don't outlevel/item him you know he is going to get to you sooner or later and it will be death when it happens.

As said above, Rammus really is the better in a group combat because he is a big danger - good DPS with a big tremor and wasting your own DPS by dragging the carry into his heavy armored hide. I like them both, but I very happily would take Rammus over Amumu every time.

Zeyk

09-19-2009

Rammus is sturdier, Amumu does more damage. Rammus has better single target crowd control, Amumu has his ult. And Rammus is a better pusher. I think they're pretty even, Amumu is a massive pain to deal with even by himself when he gets farmed enough whereas Rammus really needs to be supported to kill anybody.

09-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayuki View Post
As said above, Rammus really is the better in a group combat because he is a big danger - good DPS with a big tremor and wasting your own DPS by dragging the carry into his heavy armored hide. I like them both, but I very happily would take Rammus over Amumu every time.
I would always take amumu as I think he is the bigger thread in a teamfight.

Disabling all melee and maybe some ranged that got too far in he is the best fight initiater. And also great in midfight. For me the job of a tank is not to do damage as rammus can do but getting in and take the damage and/or disable.

3 damagedealer + amumu versus 3 damagedealer + rammus the amumu team will always win as the team has quite some time delivering their damage while the other team or at least quite some of them are disabled.

Although other teams rammus is good if he has some disabler or stunner behind him but the good with amumu is he does only need some badass damage from his team. While he stuns disables and chases down their biggest damagedealer.

gutter

09-20-2009

<-- Rammus Main

You have to understand that the two fill their roles in different ways.

First, Rammus suffers from cooldown issues. When you Powerball in, hit Defensive Ball Curl and Tremors, you at this moment pose a huge threat for the opposing team. As soon as Defensive Ball Curl finishes, however, you basically fill no tanking role effectively for another 8 seconds (I don't know the exact time but it feels like 8 seconds). At this point you die extremely quickly. Therefore a good Rammus will initiate the fight, run around for a few seconds, and then actually RUN AWAY.

The idea here is that you play a min/max game with damage output. While you're in the middle of the fray, you and your team have full damage output while your opponents have extremely reduced damage output because they're attacking you while you have massive damage reduction. Once you start running away, your opponents have two choices. They can either stop attacking you and focus on the rest of your team now (in which case you take notice of this and selectively taunt enemies instead of continuing to run away) or they can chase you while your team continues to attack them. Note that as soon as your cooldowns are back up you can run back into the fray and be invincible again and once again play the min/max game.

Amumu, on the other hand, is more of the inevitable annoyance. That isn't to say he can't change the tide of games, but what you are going to do about it? The only one of his abilities you can really play around is his bandage toss. For the rest of the time you just kind of accept that he's there and that he's doing whatever he's doing but that you really shouldn't be attacking him. Amumu's damage reduction is more consistent but pales to Rammus' during defensive ball curl. If you played Rammus the same way you would play Amumu, Rammus wouldn't live as long, but during those initial frames of the fight the enemy will accomplish far more relative to your team than they would if you had Rammus instead of Amumu.

Additionally, Rammus has strengths that Amumu doesn't. Rammus' low-cooldown ultimate is supremely effective against towers and inhibitors allowing him to solo push very effectively in a pinch in a way that Amumu would never dream of. Also on the topic of towers, Rammus can tower dive with Defensive Ball Curl much better than Amumu can hope to which opens up a huge number of options for both you and your team at all but the latest stages of the game. Rammus is also a much bigger threat defending a tower than Amumu is because his taunt can force enemies to attack him triggering the Call for Help.

When it comes to chasing down runners, both Rammus and Amumu have tools, but Rammus' are ultimately more reliable. Powerball has a larger effective range than bandage toss and is much less hit or miss. Plus, the fact that Powerball is damage-on-hit is not to be overlooked as it makes hunting for near-death players in tall grass much easier. Furthermore, for the purposes of catching fleeing players, Rammus' Taunt is effectively a 3.5 second stun at the highest rank (which admittedly I don't get until 18).

When it comes to minimizing your losses in a losing fight, Rammus is also superior at avoiding giving the enemy that extra kill. His Powerball lets him run away in situations where Bandage Toss just won't cut it, and when Powerballing isn't an option Defensive Ball curl is a god send for staying alive while running away.

Even when it comes to protecting teammates, Powerball is once again more reliable and useful than Bandage Toss. While it's true that Bandage Toss is probably quicker from a range than Powerball is, Powerball is much more of a sure thing. In addition, whereas Bandage Toss only affects one player, Powerball slows down and damages everyone in an area of effect around him which makes protecting allies from groups of enemies much easier. To accomplish the same effect Amumu would have to pop his ultimate after successfully hitting with bandage toss. Furthermore, whereas Amumu may very well be effectively suiciding into enemies while protecting his allies, Rammus has those moments of practical invulnerability with Defensive Ball Curl which he can use to run away after his Powerball slow. Or he could just pop Tremors and try to take them all on instead of running away, which can work depending on the health remaining for the enemies. This is all on top of Taunt which goes without saying is one of the most effective ways to protect your teammates in the game.

And finally, when it comes to solo encounters, Rammus' Defensive Ball Curl is effective to the point where oftentimes the opponents will be doing more damage to themselves by attacking you than they will to you. Coupled with Powerball and Tremors, while you might not kill super-fast, you can usually get an edge in many fights that your opponents expect to win. And if the tides turn against you, you can reference the above section about running away.

To be fair, Amumu is no where close to "clearly inferior" to Rammus, but you have to look at the whole picture and their usefulness in general, as well as acknowledge that when it comes to pure tanking their styles do (or at least should) differ. Personally, I prefer Rammus in almost every aspect of the game, but that's not to say that Amumu isn't more useful in certain situations. In particular, Amumu's AoE Stun is absolutely fantastic, and whenever I see an Amumu on the other team I groan because of it.