Post-Patch Udyr Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EcoEco

06-05-2010

You know that ALL MELEE champions have to run up to the other team to do anything. So what you're basically saying is: All Melee champion should get Mercury's Treads. Although that isn't such a bad idea, but for different champions they benefit more with different boots.

If you are jungling most the time, Ninja Tabi ARE better than Mercury's Treads. You are always being attacked by physical damage. So the armor AND dodge helps. It gives you the extra survibility you need in Jungle AND the extra mobility that other champions might not have gotten yet. 500 or so gold is fairly easy to farm up in Jungle.

I'm also sure that the mechanics of Tiger and Critical Chance are explained above. Definitely, the OP is lacking critical chance items or runes. But if you think about it. Lets say you attack speed is 2. So you deal 2 attacks per second. And you have the attack split in 3. So you have 6 attacks in 1 seconds. Each of these 6 attacks have critical chance individually. Say you have 5% chance, so you'll have a pretty **** good chance at least 1 of them will deal critical damage. And for 2 whole seconds, you will deal 3 times the damage.

Lets say you deal 99 damage. In 1 second you will deal 33 damage per hit for 6 hits. Now take that 33 and times 3. So thats 99 damage per hit for 6 hits each. For 2 seconds, thats 12 hits. Thats 99 damage times 12 hits! That is quite a burst damage. Do remember EACH of these 12 hits you have 5% chance of doing critical damage. Thats definitely a good nuke.

Btw, I never liked Jungling with Udyr because Udyr can definitely kill creeps fast with Phoenix. But it doesnt mean he can actually stay alive (AT ALL). Phoenix doesn't heal you AT ALL, your only way of healing is Turtle or Leveling up. Sure Phoenix will allow you to wipe out the creeps fast. But you can only do that as long as you have health. And if you SPAM Phoenix to deal that damage, you won't have the mana to keep it up. I definitely prefer Turtle>Phoenix even in Jungling because I do not have the runes or mastery to make it better. Even if I did, I prefer not to rely on out damaging the minions.

TheMagnificent

06-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHarryFlint View Post
Don't really like it. Let's start with the runes. Progressive cooldown only catches up with flat cooldown at level 13. The early/mid game advantage of flat cooldown is a lot better than the late game from progressive. crit chance is fine, I suppose, and dodge is excellent, but 10% crit chance/20% atk speed is only possible if seals, glyphs, and quints are all AS. Seems foolish.

Skills. The second rank of phoenix stance is better than the second rank of turtle stance for jungling. For that matter, each additional rank of phoenix gives more damage on the active than each additional rank of tiger. tiger is only better than phoenix if you're building AD or focused on killing towers. Really, though, that can be someone else's job.

Items. You talk about tiger crits(can the active actually crit? You say you're sure but it would be nice to see some confirmation), but there are no crit items in the build until you already have 6000 gold of items. Also, ninja tabi are almost always worse for udyr than mercury treads. You're really vulnerable to CC, since you have to run up to the other team to do anything.

Gameplay. This part is pretty good. The save your carries/disable the other team part is nice. The worst part is section 2) WTFnuking. This is really the same as section 4) DPS hunters, except for the part where you advocate punching the tank in the face, which I guess is ok, since it's always desirable to keep him from initiating.

Your point about progressive cd reduction is foolish. Udyr is amazing lategame, and you arent going to be the star team member until then, why gimp your lategame to help yourself early, especially since udyr doesnt even have the mana to spam stances until at least level 13. You said thats when the crossover happens right?

You are right on all your points about jungling, but the fact is the game isnt in the jungle, the game is in the lanes. You need the useful skills for when you are ganking people, which you should be doing at least infrequently. Phoenix is no good for ganking anymore, since no udyr in their right mind would get a rylai's now. I obviously dont build ad or ap so saying tiger is only good for ad is stupid, since udyr doesnt actually have any ap (or none worth mentioning).

Note how for wtfnuking i didnt say nuking, i said wtfnuking. when you get nuked by ryze you dont say wtf, when an udyr with no crit items wrecks your face in two hits you say wtf. The function of the wtf nuke is not to end the fight or even start it, it is simply to gode your opponents into overcommiting, because they keep taking silly damage without giving much out (except to the locket udyr).

Now your comment about the boots makes absolutely no sense. Don't take ninja tabi because you're going to be attacked by their cc all the time... hmmmmm...

Anyway merc treads are often the better choice, but never in the jungle, he has no way to survive effectively without tabi.

@ ecoeco, and to readers at large, i am starting to agree that jungle udyr is not amazing, or at least needs a build i have not tried. he is much too slow and cant survive effectively for long enough. I almost always lane now and usually bring flash.

TheMagnificent

06-05-2010

and @ afkush, please post a link to your build once you've made it.

Lothryndar

07-11-2010

Hey just wanted to thank you for posting this. I was following other builds which were prepatch and going primarily phoenix. After trying your build out I was amazed to find I got a positive KDR the first game with 5/2/9 and the following game while laneing with a friend playing mordekaiser I went 17/5/14, we lost, but it was very satisfying to finally see Udyr's true potential. It's as the author says, tiger takes huge amounts of health from the enemy.

FreeBeers

07-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagnificent View Post

Smite and Sprint, no exceptions.
quit reading here.

cspalak

07-12-2010

Few recommendations on gameplay from a fellow Udyr player:

If the enemy team has a nunu, fiddle be smart about your CD's and bear stance. Try to predict when they are about to ult, and be close enough to stun them out of it.

When you are running someone down especially with a partner you don't need to be constantly hitting them. Stun them with bear run ahead of where they are going to move to, and swap to phoenix. Run along side of them using phoenix AOE not hitting until bear stun is almost up again. This lets you keep pace, and stun them again easily so your partner can catch up. This can vary on the situation, but not a bad strategy if the situation calls for it.

I personally stick with phoenix primarily after a bunch of experimentation, and a tankish build. Although I also only solo queue which can make a big difference.

Lastly I don't believe that tiger's on hit effect gets a boost from Sheen or crit. I did a little bit of testing the other day to check.