Issue with how points are earned/lost

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

When I was playing Dominion yesterday, I noticed something that I'm not sure anyone has talked about yet. When you control "capture points", you are constantly taking health from the enemy team's nexus. However, this seems to only happen when you control MORE points than the enemy team.

So... Lets say you're 1 point away from winning, and the other team controls 3+ bases for the rest of the game. They will eventually win.

I know some of you have compared Dominion to Arathi Basin-style of play from World of Warcraft, and at first, thats how I thought it was. But I guess that's not the case, or am I missing something? If you control at least ONE base, you should be ticking off damage from the enemy nexus, just not at the same rate as if you controlled 4 bases.

Is this intended? The last game I played yesterday was an example of this. We totally crushed the other team. Had control of 3-4 bases the whole game, but we got kind of sloppy for the last 2-3 minutes and ended up losing, against a really bad team (sorry). Everyone on their team was bad, everyone had negative scores (Yes I know K/D/A doesn't mean as much in Dominion, but let's be real here. Good players don't die 17 times and win games).

Thoughts on this? IMO, if you have a big enough lead, you should still be able to win by holding 1-2 bases at the end, and force the other team to 5-cap you to win.

Caidos

09-24-2011

It's intended.

Soktharon

09-24-2011

its about maintaining control, not going 5-0 on nodes then when your enemy has 25 points left going...eh, let them 4 cap us it doesnt matter now....that would just be stupid

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caidos View Post
It's intended.
Thank you for your elaborate feedback. /sarcasm

If its intended, what are your thoughts on it?

TamOcello

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2011

Yes, it's intended. If you aren't controlling the map, why should you be dealing damage? The point is to ensure that the game can still be won by either team, instead of being a foregone conclusion at the very end where everyone's just going through the motions.

That's not to say that a more coordinated team will lose, but that they can if they get complacent and allow the other team to get some headway.

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soktharon View Post
its about maintaining control, not going 5-0 on nodes then when your enemy has 25 points left going...eh, let them 4 cap us it doesnt matter now....that would just be stupid
Sorry, played WoW for 4 years. I don't know, to me, I don't like it. I like the fact that there's still that "comeback factor" in the game, but with that being said, you're opening up for the "lucky factor" at the end of the game. The strongest team should win, not the one that can get lucky for the last 2 minutes and win.

In football, the team that plays the strongest 60 minutes usually wins, not the team that has one good drive.

Caidos

09-24-2011

It's to prevent the winning team from going, "Oh, we have the enemy down to X resources, we can just turtle one or two points and still win." It guarantees that the winning team wins with a map advantage (three or more points) at the game's conclusion.

Best Atheist NA

09-24-2011

Quote:
It's to prevent the winning team from going, "Oh, we have the enemy down to X resources, we can just turtle one or two points and still win." It guarantees that the winning team wins with a map advantage (three or more points).
Oh I get what you're saying, I'm just not fully sold on that idea. If the winning team has that big of a lead, don't they deserve the right to sit at one or two points to seal the victory? It's a 15-20 minute match, its not like you can turtle for a half hour.

Controlling nodes should be ticking damaging from the enemy nexus, whether its 1 or 5, period.

Soktharon

09-24-2011

Quote:
It's to prevent the winning team from going, "Oh, we have the enemy down to X resources, we can just turtle one or two points and still win." It guarantees that the winning team wins with a map advantage (three or more points) at the game's conclusion.
exactly.

Karuuv

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2011

"The strongest team should win, not the one that can get lucky for the last 2 minutes and win."

if they had to be "lucky" for 2 minutes, then that means your nexus had 120 Nexus HP left over - unless they take MORE than just 3 points. In either case, they didn't win because they were "Lucky."
120HP on the winning teams nexus is a decently close game.

Either it was more or less back and forth but still in your favor, and you got dwindled to 120HP
OR The enemy team absolutely smashed your face in towards the end of the game and 4 or 5 capped the map.

They won, because, despite not being as good at racking up kills, they out-did you in strategy and team work.

12345 ... 8