Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Who killed MF's mom?

Swain 67 55.37%
Gangplank 54 44.63%
Voters 121 .

The murder of Miss Fortune's mom.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MajesticRaven

09-25-2011

Bilgewater Swain is not canon.

Just because a fellow has a Bandana on his face doesn't make him swain.

Miss Fortune's story clearly says she wishes to "Fine the PIRATE that killed her mother". They also said there was gunfire when she returned home. Since when does Swain shoot guns? Especially at the age he would've been.

SWAIN DIDN'T DO IT I DON'T GET WHERE THAT COMES FROM!

SeaAdmiral

09-25-2011

Guys if you read Miss Fortune's League Judgement you will see that after Miss Fortune ran from the pirate/her house drenched in her mother's blood she kinda threw herself down into the ocean. Gangplank then rescued her and stole her comb(and a kiss) as payment. The only reason she wanted to join the league was to find Gangplank. Also it said he was "huntng for mermaids" near the beach, away from the city.

Source: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Miss_Fortune_the_Bounty_Hunter/Background
Go to the bottom to the League Judgement section.

I also don't believe its swain, as Bilgewater and Noxus are loose allies, and no one would assassin a random woman. Miss Fortune's mom was likely killed in a raid by a pirate that doesn't like Bilgewater or something of the sort.

BuddhistDuelist

09-25-2011

It couldn't be Swain, since it specifically says it was a pirate that killed Miss Fortunes mother. Last I checked, Swain wasn't a pirate. (Skins =\= Lore)

Zhanael

09-25-2011

Actually, I'm of the opinion that Swain's Bilgewater skin is canon. Here's the opening paragraph from Jarvan IV's Judgment:

Quote:
The Demacian junior summoner who was initially appointed to greet Jarvan, alas, experienced an unfortunate accident. He needed to be replaced at the last minute by a young summoner from Bilgewater with an eye for both coin and advancement. It seems the new boy penciled Jarvan in for an early Judgment, and judged he will be, though not by the League.

Now, we know that Swain had attacked Jarvan in his judgment in order to kill him. However, he'd taken on the persona of a man from Bilgewater to do so. Ergo, it is entirely canon for Swain to 1) disguise himself for his own gain, and 2) do so as someone from Bilgewater. For his Bilgewater skin to be canon is not illogical.

And skins can be canon, if not current. After all, Xin Zhao was Viscero in the past, Akali and Shen's Bloodmoon skins were covered in the Journal of Justice, and Tryndamere and Ashe are King and Queen, respectively. Yes, many skins are gags, but the ones that seem like they can fit into the lore probably do.

So, with all that in mind, take a look at MF's lore:

Quote:
When she was young, trade ships began to dot the horizon of her quiet home in the northern shores of Blue Flame Island's largest chunk. Trade routes brought piracy, and the inhabitants soon found themselves caught in a frenzy of pillage.

Noxus is close to the east coast, if not on it directly. As such, they likely have sea trade routes to the Blue Flame Islands and Ionia, and to Bandle City, Zaun and Piltover during the winter months when crossing the mountains would be treacherous even with magic. (And in fact, wasn't it confirmed in a more recent JoJ that they have trade routes to Zaun, at least? I can't remember.) And if they have sea trade routes, they also have a navy to protect their trade ships.

Swain is the Master Tactician. In order to have gained that title, he would have to be knowledgeable in all forms of strategy, be it land, sea or air. And one doesn't learn strategy entirely from books--one has to actually experience war and fighting for oneself. So on the rise in the Noxian military, Swain likely served in the navy in his rise to power.

How and why Swain was in disguise as a pirate at the time Sarah's family was slain is up to Riot. But it's my opinion that it was Swain who murdered them.

Besides, Gangplank is about as old as Sarah (give or take a couple years), and also has only one red eye. If Sarah was a young girl at the time, GP would have been just a boy. It was a man, not a boy, with two red eyes who committed the crime.

Therefore, out of the two choices given on this poll, I chose Jericho Swain as the most likely culprit.

Edit: ghjdalfa I'm directionally challenged. west is not east.

MajesticRaven

09-25-2011

I really don't think either of them did it, just...a generic pirate. Also...Swain doesn't have 2 red eyes, and Swain would have been considerably younger before-hand anyways. On top of that, Sarah's mother was killed by gunfire. I don't picture Swain as the type to whip out a pair of pistols to kill random individuals.

On top of that, Swain doesn't disguise himself. He has people to do that for him. And the young summoner from Bilgewater is just a young summoner. Swain didn't "Act in his place" or "Disguise himself" as the summoner. More than likely he just knocked the summoner out cold and chilled in the hall for Jarvan to appear. There was no disguising.

Zhanael

09-25-2011

Quote:
MajesticRaven:
I really don't think either of them did it, just...a generic pirate. Also...Swain doesn't have 2 eyes, and Swain would have been considerably younger before-hand anyways. On top of that, Sarah's mother was killed by gunfire. I don't picture Swain as the type to whip out a pair of pistols to kill random individuals.

There were gunshots, yes. But MF's lore doesn't specify exactly how her mother died. Who's to say it wasn't the mother who was firing at her attacker? All the story says is, "One day, young Sarah returned home to hear gunshots and screaming. Her front door was smashed open; inside, she saw her mother lying in a pool of blood."

Swain has both eyes in Bilgewater skin. Have a look. (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110224152436/leagueoflegends/images/a/aa/Swain_BilgewaterSkin_Ch.jpg)

Swain is likely the oldest human Champ in the League aside from Zilean. A person in his 20's is still a man--as opposed to a prepubescent or a teenager that GP and Sarah would have been.

Quote:
On top of that, Swain doesn't disguise himself. He has people to do that for him. And the young summoner from Bilgewater is just a young summoner. Swain didn't "Act in his place" or "Disguise himself" as the summoner. More than likely he just knocked the summoner out cold and chilled in the hall for Jarvan to appear. There was no disguising.

You kind of miss how League Judgments work, don't you? A summoner does it in person. A summoner took the form of Gangplank in MF's Judgment. High Summoner Vessaria Kolminye took Jarvan's form in Swain's Judgment. The single way Swain would have been able to get into Jarvan's judgment is by disguising himself as a summoner--from Bilgewater--because only summoners are able to perform the judgments.

Insane Wheatley

09-25-2011

Quote:
Zhanael:
There were gunshots, yes. But MF's lore doesn't specify exactly how her mother died. Who's to say it wasn't the mother who was firing at her attacker? All the story says is, "One day, young Sarah returned home to hear gunshots and screaming. Her front door was smashed open; inside, she saw her mother lying in a pool of blood."

Swain has both eyes in Bilgewater skin. Have a look. (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110224152436/leagueoflegends/images/a/aa/Swain_BilgewaterSkin_Ch.jpg)

Swain is likely the oldest human Champ in the League aside from Zilean. A person in his 20's is still a man--as opposed to a prepubescent or a teenager that GP and Sarah would have been.

You kind of miss how League Judgments work, don't you? A summoner does it in person. A summoner took the form of Gangplank in MF's Judgment. High Summoner Vessaria Kolminye took Jarvan's form in Swain's Judgment. The single way Swain would have been able to get into Jarvan's judgment is by disguising himself as a summoner--from Bilgewater--because only summoners are able to perform the judgments.

+1

You make a very compelling theory.

Zhanael

09-25-2011

Quote:
Zed365:
+1

You make a very compelling theory.

You're biased, love. <3

But thanks anyway.

MajesticRaven

09-25-2011

I don't think it takes to much to walk into a room and wait. The summoners take these forms by entering the persons mind and messing with their memories, they throw an illusions over the entire room and the likes as well, creating entire worlds in the summoning chamber. That's once they're in there. Getting in is the easy part, anyone can do it just by waltzing in the front doors. Besides, how exactly would Swain go about disguising himself as a Bilgewater summoner, and then trying to walk without his obnoxious limp and the likes. Look at that skin anyways, he has a parrot, a hook, and a peg leg...Definitely not canon.

When you see your door smashed in, and hear gunfire and screaming, I think it's safe to assume someone has broken into your house, and is shooting people...

Zhanael

09-25-2011

Quote:
MajesticRaven:
I don't think it takes to much to walk into a room and wait. The summoners take these forms by entering the persons mind and messing with their memories, they throw an illusions over the entire room and the likes as well, creating entire worlds in the summoning chamber. That's once they're in there. Getting in is the easy part, anyone can do it just by waltzing in the front doors. Besides, how exactly would Swain go about disguising himself as a Bilgewater summoner, and then trying to walk without his obnoxious limp and the likes. Look at that skin anyways, he has a parrot, a hook, and a peg leg...Definitely not canon.

Actually, no. Since what happens in the judgment chambers is supposed to be kept secret, one would assume that measures would be taken to prevent just anyone from walking in--especially while the judgment is underway. I'm willing to bet that the reason it took Vessaria so long to interfere between Jarvan and Swain in the first place was because the spells in place had to be disabled before she could get in there.

One does not simply Tankcat into Mordor, after all. :P

Also, one can assume that it's only one summoner allowed in the chamber at a time except in emergencies and other special cases. It was only one summoner assigned to Jarvan, and after his "accident," the Bilgewater summoner was assigned in his place.

How could he disguise his form and his limp? He's in the Black Rose, and close to LeBlanc. Even if he didn't have the power himself through Beatrice, LeBlanc would have quite readily disguised him herself, including hiding his limp.

Yes, summoners enter the Champs' minds--however, they are also physically in the room with them. Otherwise, Swain wouldn't have been able to lean in and whisper in Vessaria's ear in his Judgment, as an example.

Quote:
When you see your door smashed in, and hear gunfire and screaming, I think it's safe to assume someone has broken into your house, and is shooting people...

Why did we first assume it was Jarvan who took the first shot, and not LeBlanc disguised as Jarvan until someone pointed out LeBlanc's reflection in Swain's chestplate? Because we make assumptions based on appearances. Yes, at first glance, it's reasonable to assume that MF's mother was killed by gunfire. However, you have to look closely at other, supposedly unrelated evidence.

Don't take things at face value. I would think that Riot's been teaching us this for some time now. :P