Dominion Strategy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HyperLynx

09-24-2011

I played my first dominion games last night, and i seen there is a common strategy. The games that were actually playable, where people didnt leave or werent god awful, i found that there is a team composition that played a part.
For dominion, some characters prove much better at defense than others. an example would be Karthus. not a horrible character, but not being raged about being op. Sending karthus to the windmill or to the bottom to defend is a great strategy. playing as Karthus, you can stand behind the turret and disrupt channeling with Lay to Waste. if someone engages you, pop your wall, throw on defile and move into your turret, position yourself so your defile touches the outer rim closes to the opponents. this way, you disrupt channeling, buy time for a couple more champs to get there. Karthus isnt the only defense, he is the only one who can do exactly as i stated but clearly with his slow movement and low hp/armor, and no cc, he is probably the worst attacker. Now i see this trend with most AP carry caster types.
AD carries on the other hand are engineered offensively, especially if they have good burst. One game i played as tristana, i found that her greatest strength lies not in her killing power but her ability to outlane her opponent. if i am bot i hid by the wall and when i seen a champ trying to push a little bit, so long as they are not by their turret, i rocket jump on them, pop q, ult them to a wall and pop explosive shot. on most characters would be close to dead and instead of standing and fighting, they will go back to base and heal, which means i am free to cap the point.
Tanks are hands down the best utility you can have in dominion. a character that can take punishment and cc the enemy is hands down needed. problem i have seen especially with it being free blitz week and with free alistar, is that newer people over-extend themselves, They chase champions when they dont need to. If the champion is low on hp, killing him may result in -2 hp from your enemy, if you have to chase them around to kill them, then was it truely worth it. spend 15 - 30 seconds trying to kill this Caitlyn as blitz, but your point gets neutralized during the process.. was it worth it? no. Though that being said, if you can catch an AD out of position and kill them, that might be well worth it, you stopped that AD from outlaning someone and resulting in a point loss anyways.
So all of this being said, i feel that team composition should be a forethought just as it is in summoners rift. Oh, well we have a Yi, Tristana, Blitzcrank, and Cho'gath already, so i should pick akali bc she is my best and she is op right? wrong, going with Akali, your only having 1 or 2 defensive designed characters, you may lose if the other team is balanced. you attack Yi, Tristana, Akali attack on bot, Cho'gath defend at windmill, Blitzcrank defend mid. Now the opposing team uses 2 at bot to slow you down, 2 kill Blitzcrank, 1 harasses cho'gath, So 2 tanks at bot to defend your attack, lets say Blitzcrank and Yorick. Now they send their Caitlyn to harass Cho'Gath and Akali and Ryze go kill Blitzcrank. Assuming all players are the same skill set, Blitzcrank and Yorick will die, but how long will it take if they tower hug? Your attacking with no cc becasue of your composition, you wanted to be OP Akali and now its not doing anything for you because you goto attack and blitzcrank pulls you in and your by the turret and yorick and BC so your now dead. where your team just lost 2 position for maybe 1.. if you chose someone with cc or was a much better defender, you could have just sat. if you tried to sit with your current set up, your only form of cc is Cho'Gath and Blitzcrank, so bc they are visible on the map, either harass cho'gath to death, with their Caitlyn, leaving ryze and BC on defense, then attacking where Cho'Gath and BC are not, they will force you down.
So far, i have stressed one thing on every team and that is CC, that is critical, and normally characters with massive cc, lack somewhere else, its called balance. so if your team already has 2 or 3 stuns and a knock up, go for damage, you will need it to win fights, you can't CC them to death.

Now to come to an end to this lengthy thought. I am not saying run 2 top, 2 bottom, 1 mid, bc mid is just as easy of a target. All i am saying is that you can divide the work of who goes where and does what based on who you have. Blitzcrank for example will win most 1v1, and even some 1v2's at the turret, you can have just him defending windmill, have Ryze and Annie on bot. Now you can have Tryndamere and Yi running around the jungle at 500 movement speed getting the relics when needed and ganking the places you need them to. So once again when in character selection, think about how will the character your selecting impact your team?

*Disclaimer* Now i said some examples that are purely speculative. i am not saying that Yi, Tristana, BC, Chogath, and Akali is a bad team. that you couldn't do a purely turtle strategy and be sucessful, my thought is that if Yi, Tristana, Akali are focused and caught out of position, away from the turret, then they are not very tanky and can die rather quickly. where someone like Karthus, Ryze, Annie, or even Irelia could get back to the tower much easier, as in not having to pop an ult.

EchoRex

09-24-2011

Wall of Text critically strikes your eyes for 500 points of cataracts damage.

HyperLynx

09-24-2011

lol sorry, i kind of hoped that this would help some new people from troll picking characters and gimping the team from the gate

IrokDoom

09-24-2011

i personally prefer going 1 bot 1 mid and 3 top to start. fastest champ should go top to get into the channel as quickly as possible, if there is a support or tank they should go with as well as a glass cannon. someone who's a good solo lane should go bottom and then you want a ranged champ with cc on the mid turret

i only suggest an early game strategy because that's the only dependable bit i've seen so far. you aren't going to have a hard time capping bot and mid, so you can send the rest of the team to fight for the top capture point for the early lead, then you need to redistribute based on how it's going so far i don't think it's going to be easy to make an actual strategy. of course team composition is going to matter a lot. i've noticed AoE champs are effective for channel disruption so of course that may produce an affinity for a AoE champ on every team, just like you would want a tank.

Insecta Vespa

09-24-2011

wow