[Guide]Master Yi, Master Of LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FeLpZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2010

terrible item build, i didnt even read any of the rest of it after i saw he recommended heal and revive..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprevallet View Post
So this is what I do and it tends to work. I won't go into detail but I will explain my item and rune build quickly.

Items:
Madreds - It's good for pushing in your lane, cause the chance is pretty great on hitting really hard.
Malody - Very good for attacking quickly and lifesteal pre-game, rarely lose health if you play it right.
Bersker's Greaves - self explanitory
Zeal
Infinity's Edge - by the time you get here game should be basically over.
Phantom Dancer
Thirster

Get the last two if you have time.

And I use crit strike and crit damage runes.

Edit: Or you could get the thirster before Phantom, I suggest that.
pushing lanes is not a good thing, it allows the enemy team to gank you easier, and your opposing lane partners get easier minion kills because they can sit at the tower... so madrids not only doesnt help you at all, but it actually hurts.
malady is also terrible, absolutely no reason to buy it. if you want lifesteal get vampiric scepter.

my2c.

littleevil

03-10-2010

this guide is very very old so dont bring it back
yi atm is lacking - he is just not as powerfull as he used to be - u rarely see him in game with ppl that have 200+ wins
i used toi love playing him - his alpha strike is such a cool skill its like jugers omnislash - but u can spam it - he is also very simple to controll which was a nice thing if ur new to the game

but he is gone now - just like tryndamere and most likely like shaco will be very soon

RadAdam

03-10-2010

Any idea for a better item build or way to play him then if this is so out of date? I've tried a couple other Champs and Ali is alright, but I still really enjoy Yi. Anyway to make him work well? Doesn't really help either that I'm level 15 and get paired with people that are 30s.

ianderson

Adjudicator

03-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadAdam View Post
Any idea for a better item build or way to play him then if this is so out of date? I've tried a couple other Champs and Ali is alright, but I still really enjoy Yi. Anyway to make him work well? Doesn't really help either that I'm level 15 and get paired with people that are 30s.

Yi has barley changed since i made this guide, theres been a few new items out there that would be good on him, but i still find my build very effective.

ianderson

Adjudicator

03-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadAdam View Post
The main thing I don't understand about this guide is how to effectively jungle and keep the enemy from owning the tower of the lane that you were in. The video in this guide is just a practice match, but I wish there was one to show what you have to do when say a tower in your old lane is getting owned, or if a big push is going on.

I tried jungling out a few times, but every time my random teammate in my old lane would get owned and they'd take down the turret. Do I just need more skilled teammates to do this? It seems like during a pub game it's very hard for me to stick to jungling and then I end up wasting time running around trying to help people while jungling.

Any advice on the specifics of playing this way would be greatly appreciated. I got to Infinity Edge pretty quickly last match and was 6-0, but by then they had done way too much damage to my team / towers that in the end they were too much.

Thanks! ^_^

--------------------------------------------
My Art: http://radadam.deviantart.com

Your partner should be able to survive till your level 6 unless they have downs. When you hit level 6 you should be ganking every lane started with the lane struggleing the most ( likey your lane)

judah2005

03-12-2010

I've been playing YI quite a bit and wonder what others think of this build:

Items:
Brawlers Gloves + 1 health pot + 1 mana pot at start
Avarice Blade x2 at lvl 5-6 + hp/mana pots and Longsword if you can afford
Vamp Scepter
Bf Sword
(if tanks I go straight for cleaver, if not i'll get bloodthirster or another bf sword)
Infinity
Now just start getting BF Swords and Cloaks and trading them in for Infinities.

Play style:

At start:
I play with a lot of noobs still so I try to get a solo lane. If I get a solo lane i get alpha strike first. If I have a decent teammate in lane, I'll get wuju for an early gank with exhuast. Firstblood bonus is great! I don't know why people say to get daggers at start with YI, he is a burst dmg hero, not a SUSTAIN dmg hero. You want 1.2k crits at 16-18 not a bunch of 300s. Getting guants helps so much at start if you play right. Don't try to stand up to the minions. That's how you lose life and have to go home. Keep alpha striking ones that are 20% hp. Keep moving around behind them until one goes around 30-40% hp and attack it to get a finishing hit so you get gold/exp. ( I usually get 200-300 unit kills a game ) If you play defensively, alpha striking constantly on low hp minions and getting last hits, you will hit lvl 5-6 quickly and have over 1k gold. Now is when you want to go to town, if you have to, and get your avarice blades. You will keep these all game. Trade the gloves in for an avarice blade and buy another avarice. This gives you +1 gold per sec with 2 avarice blades and +24% crit. If you have enough money for Longsword go ahead and pick it up.

Mid game:
Continue to play smart and defensively, you are still very powerless to many heroes and easily gankable. Don't try to one on one gank someone. Assist your teammates or you will find that you are the one being ganked! I use teleport and exhaust so i'm usually going back to town when I have enough gold to get my next item in line. Usually from 8-12 I'm going around ganking with my teamates, passing through jungle for golem/lizard buffs and hitting as many minions as possible. The problem with most YI players is that they try to be effective with YI early-mid game. He is one of the best CARRY heroes so when playing him you have to be patient. Do your very best to not die, keep leveling and earning gold, this is how YI will most benefit his team.

Late game:
Late game, around 15-16ish I usually have 2 avarice blades, 2 bf swords, blood thirster and possibly an infinity edge. If not Im about to get one by that time. If they have a tank, like i said before, I'll swap 1 bf sword for a cleaver. Now once you are equipped up with amazing +dmg/+crt/lifesteal, you can actually start making a huge difference in the game. I can't tell you how many times players have tried to 3-4 man mid, and with 2 other teammates we have wiped them all out and reversed the push. It's like "where's YI? where's YI?" all game. Then at 16-17, "wow, there is YI critting for 1.2-1.4k dmg." I have seriously taken out 5 in a row with the aid of teammates. Not to mention, when you get last hit with YI, your cooldowns are refreshed so you can pop highlander/wuju OVER AND OVER. Imagine popping that 5 times back to back with THOSE ITEMS. I usually am 4 shotting the tanks and the towers. Inhibitors say buh bye with 4 hits. It's insane.

Conclusion:
Play Yi for the long haul. Short time degeneration will pay off long term regeneration. Keep Yi out the brawl until he is suited up to brawl. Stay alive, kill as many minions as you can. You will help your team best by not running around everywhere losing xp and gold time. Stay focused on the prize at the end of the game. And most of all, PLAY SMART. Yi is such a squishy melee hero that he goes down easy. I pretty much have resolved to never engage a hero solo with Yi no matter how beefy I am and how squishy that Ashe is.

Natradox

03-21-2010

thanks for the guide helped a bunch

DeathZiocx

04-03-2010

hey dude does the crt power have a limt?

Cainin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2010

Looks like you are a good Kill Stealer... from you pics your teamates all have high double digit assists and low kills and you have all the kills. Last shot champion FTW.

GoSu Kiwi

05-27-2010

I found it very useful, thanks! n_n