clicking vs. hotkeys

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mdscntst223

06-03-2010

Okay so Im still pretty new to this game, but I have a few friends I play with who give me tips. One of the tips they gave me is to use hotkeys instead of clicking my spells. Well the problem is Im really used to playing FPS games and whenever my fingers hover over the hotkeys I instinctively go to WASD. So basically my question is this: does using hotkeys really give a significant advantage over clicking?

Helidead09

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-03-2010

Yes. They make it so you can push the button then instantly click where you want your spell to go. Its much faster than clicking, moving your mouse from the button to where you want to use your spell, then clicking again.

Reverend1247

06-03-2010

Yes, yes they do. In fact, if you play any combo reliant champ, you need to do this in order to cast quickly enough. Things happen fast enough in LoL that you will totally miss your chance to cast and/or be dead. If you really must, change your spell setup to link to AWSD, but this will hamper you at higher levels.

I got over this fairly quickly, having played shooters but never DOTA or any clone. Give it some time.

mdscntst223

06-03-2010

alright thanks guys, I appreciate it.

SethCypher

06-03-2010

Since everyone else has given practically the same answer as I will, I'll describe the reasoning.

Think about it this way, you have a champion who is a major burst DPSer. Now think about how slow you'll be if you keep going back to the tabs, clicking the skill, and then finally clicking the target. By that time, the target may have a) already left b)stunned you and is giving you the smackdown of your life or c) you are already a lump of flesh lying lifelessly under his feet.

Basically, keeping one hand on the Q,W,E,R position and another hand of the mouse, I can quickly and instantaneously unload all my skills on a person, in the time that it took you to click on the skill and then target me.

Hotkeys also benefit in the fact that you can move your character AND cast spells simultaneously.

Fallen 62

06-04-2010

If your hands naturally go to the WASD keys, you can always rebind your skills to those keys. Just open up the game menu and rebind the Spell/skill keys (I don't remember what they are called in the menu offhand) to the WASD keys. You would need to determine what skill is what, but it's doable. Just make sure that the ASD keys aren't used for something else, or you will have to rebind what those keys were used for (W is already used for the 2nd skill from the left, so not much worry there )