Corki - A First Look

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SG GodFlow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-19-2009

Corki - A First Look (v0.9.25.21)

[Introduction]

Corki has to be one of the best champions in the game. Though lacking anything but attack(with minimal stealth detection and armor reduction), Corki is a formidable opponent nonetheless. Though new to the character, as everyone is at this point, I feel I have a decent grasp of how a Corki plays. This is in no way an end-all resource for Corki and suggestions are welcome.

[Skills]

Phosphorous Bomb

"Corki fires a bomb at a target location. In addition to dealing damage, the blast reduces an enemy's chance to hit by 50% and reveals nearby stealthed units for 4 seconds."

This will be your main skill early on and even late-game. Phosphorous Bomb has a small AoE range, encompassing a little more than the back row of creeps. Early game, you should strive to harass your opponent with this skill as much as possible.

Valkyrie

"Corki surges to target location, dropping bombs that create a trail of destruction for opponents who remain in the fire."

This skill is pretty fast and can help you advance/retreat if need be. Besides that, Valkyrie can clear an entire wave of creeps by simply moving from one side to the other. This kills all of them as early as level two Valkyrie with proper aiming.

Gatling Gun

"Corki's gatling gun fires rapidly, dealing 40% of his total damage twice a second in an area in front of him, and shredding the armor of enemies who are under continuous fire."

Probably the least-used skill Corki has, Gatling Gun's damage is based off of his normal attack and doesn't really do much damage unless investing in attack. This can be used to help during chases and even farming if you cannot Valkyrie to sweep the mobs.

Missle Barrage

"Corki fires a missile towards his target location that will collide with the first enemy it hits, dealing damage to units around the target. Corki stores one missile every 12 seconds up to 7 missiles total. Every 4th missile will be a Big One."

This is the skill that makes Corki who he is. The missle itself does average damage for a skill, though it has incredible range, a near-instantaneous cooldown, and even has a little AoE when it encounters an object.

[Pre-game]

Runes

Marks(red): I choose Desolation(Armor Penetration) here because it helps in early kills and I don't really find much else helpful for Marks. You could go HP/HP regeneration runes since Corki is a bit on the squishy side at times.

Seals(yellow): Force(AP) runes, hands down. If you're going for an AP build to beef up your skills quite a bit, then Force runes are the way to go. Combined with Force Glyphs, you'll have +68 AP at level 18, a considerable amount. If not going AP, Evasion Seals work pretty well.

Glyphs(blue): Force(AP) runes, see above.

Masteries

9/0/21

I find this to be the most effective build for nearly any champion that isn't a tank. You should aim for Archaic Knowledge in the offensive tree and Presence of the Master in the utility tree.

Spells

Teleport is a must on EVERY character except for maybe a jungling Warwick/Fiddlesticks. Teleport allows you to Recall back to your base, shop, heal, and Teleport back within seconds, minimizing time away from your lane and maximizing your experience.

Ghost/Cleanse could go here, though pretty much any spell could work.

I'd advise staying away from Flash since you already have Valkyrie, though you can get it for a double blink.

[Skill Build]

This build maxes Phosphorous Bomb first for harassing enemy champions early and can lead to some easy kills.

1. Phosphorous Bomb(1)
2. Valkyrie(1)
3. Phosphorous Bomb(2)
4. Valkyrie(2)
5. Phosphorous Bomb(3)
6. Missile Barrage(1)
7. Phosphorous Bomb(4)
8. Valkyrie(3)
9. Phosphorous Bomb(5)
10. Valkyrie(4)
11. Missile Barrage(2)
12. Valkyrie(5)
13. Gatling Gun(1)
14. Gatling Gun(2)
15. Gatling Gun(3)
16. Missile Barrage(3)
17. Gatling Gun(4)
18. Gatling Gun(5)

This next build is for pure farming if you're in a relatively easy lane and the enemy seems pretty far back from the pressure.

1. Phosphorous Bomb(1)
2. Valkyrie(1)
3. Valkyrie(2)
4. Phosphorous Bomb(2)/Gatling Gun(1)
5. Valkyrie(3)
6. Missile Barrage(1)
7. Valkyrie(4)
8. Phosphorous Bomb(3/2)
9. Valkyrie(5)
10. Phosphorous Bomb(4/3)
11. Missile Barrage(2)
12. Phosphorous Bomb(5/4)
13. Gatling Gun(1)/Phosphorous Bomb(5)
14. Gatling Gun(2)
15. Gatling Gun(3)
16. Missile Barrage(3)
17. Gatling Gun(4)
18. Gatling Gun(5)

[Strategy]

Items:
1. Doran's Ring
2. Sorcerer's Boots
3. Guinsoo's Rageblade
4. Trinity Force
5. Zhonya's Ring
6. Abysmal Scepter

Philospher's Stone allows for a steady regeneration for both HP and MP, and also a little gold bonus to boot. Everything after that is to optimize AP so your abilities do as much damage as possible.

Early Game (Level 1~5)

1. Doran's Ring + 2 HP Potions

HP potions allows you to easily brush off any unwanted damage early game whereas Doran's Ring gives you a decent HP boost and respectable mana regeneration. Depending on who you're laning with/against, your lane game changes a bit. If anything, ask for a solo lane. Soloing as a Corki allows you to "carry" your team that much sooner. If laning with someone else, then be sure to coordinate attacks against other champions so you can get a few kills every now and then. If you're laning against a melee champion, stay back a bit and use Phosphorous Bomb to hit both the melee minions and the opposing champion to maximize farming/harassment. If against a ranged champion, then you can be a little more lenient with spacing and go up front a little more. Strive to hit the opposing champion and back row of minions if possible. If not, just worry about hitting the minions.

tl;dr: Use Phosphorous Bomb to hit both minions and champions and do not die, be defensive.

Mid Game(Level 6~10)

2. Sorcerer's Boots

By level 6, you should be able to afford the Sorcerer's Boots. You should be getting a little more aggressive, trying to kill champions and push a tower maybe. If possible, ask a teammate to help you gank, such as a Warwick, Evelynn, or anyone who can stun/do loads of damage.

Late Game(~11+)

3. Guinsso's Rageblade
4. Trinity Force
5. Zhonya's Ring (most games end before/at here)
6. Guinsoo's Rageblade

By now you should be a killing machine and should be helping other lanes push/gank. In team fights, make sure to spam Phosphorous Bomb and Missle Barrage as this can get you TONS of kills from the sheer damage/range of the two combined. If possible, try to waste some Missle Barrages before engaging the enemy so the next missle you have is a Big One. Doing this will optimize your damage in team fights and can wipe out entire teams if used properly.

[Conclusion]

As of now, this is a basic guide to help people learn how to play Corki, and definitely needs a lot of updating to keep up with the current metagame of League of Legends.

Drakonis

09-19-2009

awesome guide, hope it gets better, gatling use is to find heroes in bushes or chase them late game if you cant really hit your skills on your target champ, when he's fleeing

SG GodFlow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-19-2009

Thanks, I noticed that when it would still fire off regardless of what I was doing. It seems like a pseudo Hate Spikes.

Truhls

09-19-2009

Gatling gun is amazing and i think its corkis bread and butter imo. i stack AP/DMG items on him pop gatling gun, then spam missles. Gat fires while auto attacking and missle firing, so you have autos/ gats/ and missles hitting at the SAME TIME. though missles do/will interrupt autos. While i shred their armor with gat. people keep making the mistake of standing there to hit me as melee then they get rocked lol.

LonZealot

09-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shido View Post
Valkyrie

"Corki surges to target location, dropping bombs that create a trail of destruction for opponents who remain in the fire."

This skill is pretty fast and can help you advance/retreat if need be. Besides that, the damage is okay though not really game-breaking.
I disagree, Valkyrie is a fantastic skill for farming and it can deal so much damage when you use an AP build. It also has a really high AP ratio for a skill that deals damage per second.

Jaedan

09-19-2009

There are clearly going to be two ways to build Corki:

1) Maximize AP and rely on your ultimate, phosphorous bomb, and valkyrie to do your damage.
2) Maximize attack damage/armor reduction and rely on gatling gun and your passive.

I am currently much in favor of option number 2, with the possible addition of a Rylai's scepter, for these reasons.

1) Both phosphorous bomb and valkyrie are still extremely useful even when you have 0 AP due to the attack speed slow and flash components. You don't need these abilities to do any damage at all for them to be worth using.
2) Gatling gun has an incredibly short cooldown and it does not stop your auto-attack.
3) Your passive makes your regular attacks scale incredibly well with attack damage.
4) Your ult does not scale particularly well with AP.

My strategy so far has been to shoot from range with my ultimate until someone gets annoyed and charges you. I then drop a phosphorus bomb to slow their attack speed and hit gatling gun. When they run away (and they will have to), you valkyrie ahead of them, finish the remainder of your gatling gun and then hit them with rockets until they die.

The only exception to this strategy is Rylai's scepter, which is an ability power item. However, it makes your rockets slow 15%, so it makes them even more effective at finishing off runners. I occasionally do pick one up for this reason.

I think it's definitely too early to tell if AP or attack damage is better, but I'm currently in favor of attack damage.

SG GodFlow

Recruiter

09-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truhls
Gatling gun is amazing and i think its corkis bread and butter imo. i stack AP/DMG items on him pop gatling gun, then spam missles. Gat fires while auto attacking and missle firing, so you have autos/ gats/ and missles hitting at the SAME TIME. though missles do/will interrupt autos. While i shred their armor with gat. people keep making the mistake of standing there to hit me as melee then they get rocked lol.
Just tried it and I think Gatling Gun isn't really good enough to focus your entire build around it, seeing as how it's the only skill that benefits from adding attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonZealot View Post
I disagree, Valkyrie is a fantastic skill for farming and it can deal so much damage when you use an AP build. It also has a really high AP ratio for a skill that deals damage per second.
Tested it and saw that Valkyrie is actually pretty good @_@

Bojang

09-19-2009

Yeah, Valkyrie must have like a 2to1 or 3to1 ratio; I believe I got up to like +700something bonus damage last game (of course, that was a 70 minute long game). Most people right now just stand in the fire, but they still take a tick of it or two when moving out of the way.
I naturally had been doing a lot of the things the OP suggested; however I recommend using meki pendant with a health pot in the beginning game due to the fact you can harass like a crazy man.

Also, I'm going to try out Trinity Force on him today. You see, at the very end-game, I found myself using Rylai Sceptor, Lich Bane, and the ring as my sole damage dealers. Trinity Force gives you the slow, movement speed, and AP I need on Corki. I also use a health rune build so I can focus on all AP items.

Mr Tibbers

09-19-2009

I normally go:

Rageblade
Trinity
Sorceror's
Doran's Ring (It's my early game item. Nice health/mana regen, and the AP doesn't hurt.)

Past that, I start doing things like Nashor's or even a second Rageblade. It might not let you get 16 stacks, but it lets you stack quicker, making 4 hits your cap. A lot more manageable and quick than 8 hits to hit the top. Rylai's might be good too, especially with his ult. He can spam like mad, so I see it being awesome.

IHaveCrayons

Recruiter

09-19-2009

Corki has been dominating the games I've been playing. As an Ashe player it is very hard to go 1-on-1 with him... just deals too much damage with his abilities.