Dominion is a skill-less version of League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delifox

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancypantsmcgee View Post
I couldn't disagree more.

We just don't know the necessary skills yet, and how to apply them most effectively to obtain victory.
My win/loss ratio disagrees with the 75%+ wins :P

But hey, I don't mind seeing these whiners on the opposite team, since mostlikely they have no clue what they are doing.. And in the Dominion it's way more visible than it was in the summoner's rift.. Where you could play with someone for 20 minutes until you notice how bad they are..

Robert De Nunu

09-23-2011

I agree and disagree, and either way, completely respect your opinion. However, the person who said this is for blowing off steam after the tooth-grinding hr long games SR is famous for, is totally right.

It's fun.

I argue the lack of skill part though. Perhaps there is less skill necessary, but there are still lots of decisions to make that effect the game directly.

o/

nevaman

09-23-2011

Quote:
There's nothing about the Dominion game mode that separates bad players from good players.
Dominion isnt about being a good player on your own, it warrants much more stategy and strategic guessing than SR, albeit on the team level. Teams who are communicating via vioce will have a much greater advantage.

BigDaddyRelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think the same things don't separate players (of course), but things do separate them, and moreso, separate good and bad teams.

The strategic qualities of Dominion are emphasized, where to put who, when, and how to work as a unit that's not in the same place. That's like saying Conquest, as a game mode, requires no skill, which is patently untrue.

I think there's a lot of misconception of "it's not the skills I've perfected and practiced, therefore this is noob" that's prevalent, and I just don't really care about that. It's not as punishing, so maybe that does have some validity, but from a total team perspective, it's actually not -possible- for this game to lack strategy.
Very true words. Honestly, I couldn't have put it any better.

Just because the skills that you need to do well in Summoner's Rift aren't as emphasized as the skills you need to do well in Dominion, does not suggest by any means that Dominion takes no skill.

Madrox

09-23-2011

I wouldn't say the mode lacks finesse, per se. Right now, people don't know what to do and that results in the clusterf*** chaos you see now. As people get more experienced and the game becomes more balanced (I don't know how balanced it is, but there will always be tweaks) I think you will see this change.

I guess it also depends on how you define finesse, but while this game certainly requires a lot less skill, it requires even more strategy and, God help us, coordination. I also think that there are and will be more skillful plays developing in the game. Using the jungle and solo defending come to mind as two underrated things at the moment.

And as I think about it, skill (or potentially matchups) may be even more of a determining factor here. Because of the passive experience and high gold gain (and the removal of large-scale creep farming) each champion is on a more even playing field with items. In SR you ability to farm kills or CS tended to separate you more, whereas now you need to find ways to outplay your competition as the item differential is generally lower.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

does your ability to last hit creeps matter in dominion?

no not really

does your ability to juke your opponents, outmaneuver them, grind them into the dirt when you do meet up, position yourself tactically and strategically, do these matter?

of course

Samenko

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRelish View Post
Very true words. Honestly, I couldn't have put it any better.

Just because the skills that you need to do well in Summoner's Rift aren't as emphasized as the skills you need to do well in Dominion, does not suggest by any means that Dominion takes no skill.
He didn't say no skill, he said a lot less.

All you need in Dominion is to know when to cap and when to defend, and how to split up. Thats it.

SR - Warding, last hitting, split pushing, baron/buff timers, denying, dragon/baron control, bush ganks, dummy cv's, JUNGLING...

But that doesn't mean Dominion isnt fun as hell. It is. The simplicity and button mashing playstyle is the beauty of it.

Gløry

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfs123 View Post
Because solo queue means so much amirite?
p.s grats on getting a red to disagree with you, gonna profile morello and insult his elo to?

Saying how much skill it requires based off a few games and extremely tiny testing is just silly.
You don't make a point off something you barely understand.
All dominion is right now is a huge zerg fest thats pretty entertaining.
once its out and we get some solid strats going on, you'll be seeing pretty skilled gameplay.
No, I wouldn't do that to Morello, since his reply showed respect for my opinion and contributed to the discussion. You made a bad joke insinuating that I was bad at dominion (somehow, seeing as how imo no one can be bad at dominion), and I paid you back in kind. Except I didn't have to insinuate.

ArlanKels

09-23-2011

Just had a match that perfectly represented how skill matters, both strategic and singular.
I was Malz and was teamed up with an ok team. My team did a 4/1 split. I hit the windmill first with an amumu backing me up, the other two wandered around in the middle jungle area(??) and then wandered down to the bottom point(?!) leaving Amumu and me alone against 4 of their team.
Their team then split, leaving two top(Corki/Trundle) with the three others shoving bottom.
My team split...
With me going alone.
Against corki and Trundle.

So they had 4 bottom, that means they should've been fine right?
Nope, they lost the boneyard and were pushed back into the spawn point. By 3 champions.
I have never seen such a horrible team in my life. I finally had to stop going top(Which cost us the drill) in order to help them take back the boneyard, only to then not be able to get the drill back because nobody would go top. at all.

I just...don't get it.

So yes, strategy IS a necessity in this game as is individual skill. You'll see it if you end up playing with some of the stupidest, worst players in the history of the game like I had to.
Was probably that long win-streak :|a

Raolan

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glry View Post
I believe I covered that in my post already, one of the three or four times I said twitch gaming skills don't amount to much in LoL. And since the other points of finesse found in SR aren't in Dominion, what's it left with?
My point was the only 'finesse' as you put it in either mode is the ability to make good judgement and decisions. Do I gank yet or not? Is it safe to pull Katarina's ultimate in a team fight yet?

There are more opportunities for this in Summoner's Rift, but they're not more 'skilled' opportunities than in Dominion.

Evidence: My team was losing, we had one control point left and we were about to lose it. I decided to run through the jungle instead of stay and help and I started capping a tower on the opposite side of the map. All the enemies made a bad decision and ran off after me or used their recall. With that tower capped I disappeared before any of them got there, they started to retake it, and by the time they were done my team mates were capping their third tower.

It's not that there's no skill in Dominion, it's that people don't use it. I admit there is much less possiblity for skill due to the lack of jungling and such, but that doesn't mean there is none entirely.