Dominion is a skill-less version of League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melvear

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskofdead View Post
Situation is not parallel at all. If you have 3 or 4 or 5 champs who can each easily win 1v1's against the enemy composition, and put them in a mode where most fights will be 3v3 or less, the imbalance simply grows. Saying that tanky dps meta went away for the most part in SR is not any sort of proof that the tanky dps dominance in Dominion isn't going to stay.
Good duelers usually are because of high single target damage, either sustained or burst, and decent control or hp sustainability.
I'm thinking superior control and aoe damage can counter that, taking into account that you don't travel alone if you know you can't 1v1 any of the other team's champions.

Sir Dougles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2011

Dominion is for casuals...through and through...even the matchmaking is casual. There is no elo or rating for dominion so even the players that have logged the most hours or games on it are still matched with people who are playing it for the 10th time.

It's for casual players and just needs to stay there. Personally I don't see it being anything more then casual, and it has no need to go beyond casual

My 2 cents

Melvear

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dougles View Post
Dominion is for casuals...through and through...even the matchmaking is casual. There is no elo or rating for dominion so even the players that have logged the most hours or games on it are still matched with people who are playing it for the 10th time.

It's for casual players and just needs to stay there. Personally I don't see it being anything more then casual, and it has no need to go beyond casual

My 2 cents
The matchmaking and the lack of rating comes from that fact that it's not even 2 months old and changes are coming. Morello said there would be ranked Dominion, it's only a matter of time and adjustments.

And you last sentence means what? You think the mode is inferior to SR? Why does it *need* to remain a more casual gaming experience?

Cizokat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2011

one problem of dominion is that people rage too much for a short game that isn't even ranked, its like custom, don't rage over it

b0rg

10-28-2011

Not sure why I'm bothering on page 51, but... (Ha, make that 63...)

While it's true that SR is more complex, involving more layers of strategy, you vastly over-simplify Dominion and the amount of decision-making that goes into playing well. Off the top of my head...

1. Do you stay and contest a point, or abandon it and put pressure elsewhere? (Depends on familiarity with champion match-ups as well as your enemies' builds.)
2. If the enemy pressures bottom, can your bot can handle it solo while you punish the enemy by attacking their mid, or do you need to help bot?
3. If an enemy disappears into the jungle, are they heading for your mid, or going to push top?
4. If you're not sure about that, do you defend by going into the jungle between mid and top (risky but secretive) or the lane between mid and top (safer but you can be seen)?
5. Are they so committed to top that it's worth abandoning it to pressure mid or bot?

I could go on.

Making the right decisions depends on map awareness, build awareness, knowledge of champion matchups, and predicting enemy movements.

Much of this is true of SR, but the weighting is different. For example, being able to gauge champion matchups is more important when there are many small skirmishes. In SR it's not as important once you get to the group fight portion of the game.

SR has so many more of what I would call PvE elements that it's just a different experience. Seems to me you just like the PvE and large group fight elements of SR. That's purely subjective and in no way means that Dominion doesn't take skill.

I would also point out that a bad player can be carried on SR much more easily than on Dominion.