Dominion is a skill-less version of League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gorchek

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glřry View Post
Hey man how was Bronze league last season? Cool, thanks for dropping by.
Bronze players are in the top 25% of ranked players. The skill level between gold and bronze isn't significant enough to note, due to people getting carried, and the luck involved in solo queue.

If you got to gold with 5v5 premades, congratulations, but don't assume that bronze players are absolutely terrible when Riot has said themselves that they aren't.

Kick 2 the face

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think the same things don't separate players (of course), but things do separate them, and moreso, separate good and bad teams.

The strategic qualities of Dominion are emphasized, where to put who, when, and how to work as a unit that's not in the same place. That's like saying Conquest, as a game mode, requires no skill, which is patently untrue.

I think there's a lot of misconception of "it's not the skills I've perfected and practiced, therefore this is noob" that's prevalent, and I just don't really care about that. It's not as punishing, so maybe that does have some validity, but from a total team perspective, it's actually not -possible- for this game to lack strategy.
o m g u ninja, i just noticed u made typo right after u posted, i refresh page and its gone! magic.zzzzzz

Gløry

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think the same things don't separate players (of course), but things do separate them, and moreso, separate good and bad teams.

The strategic qualities of Dominion are emphasized, where to put who, when, and how to work as a unit that's not in the same place. That's like saying Conquest, as a game mode, requires no skill, which is patently untrue.

I think there's a lot of misconception of "it's not the skills I've perfected and practiced, therefore this is noob" that's prevalent, and I just don't really care about that. It's not as punishing, so maybe that does have some validity, but from a total team perspective, it's actually not -possible- for this game to lack strategy.
I guess I can see that argument--that the skills you need in SR aren't the same as the skills you need in Dominion.

What skills do you need in dominion? Knowing where to put whom when is basically "run to this point if it's in danger."

What is your comment on champion balance in Dominion? Do you feel like certain things that balanced champions in SR, which are not present on Dominion, makes them too good, or too bad? (Caitlyn has no early game dominance (quite the opposite on dominion in fact), Jax/Tryn/Yi get all the farm they could ever want, for no effort, etc)

Teemo Support GG

09-23-2011

Quote:
Because solo queue means so much amirite?
p.s grats on getting a red to disagree with you, gonna profile morello and insult his elo to?
Quote:
It doesn't require much skill. So what? It's still ridiculously fun. His point stands.
Saying how much skill it requires based off a few games and extremely tiny testing is just silly.
You don't make a point off something you barely understand.
All dominion is right now is a huge zerg fest thats pretty entertaining.
once its out and we get some solid strats going on, you'll be seeing pretty skilled gameplay.

Gløry

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorchek View Post
Bronze players are in the top 25% of ranked players. The skill level between gold and bronze isn't significant enough to note, due to people getting carried, and the luck involved in solo queue.

If you got to gold with 5v5 premades, congratulations, but don't assume that bronze players are absolutely terrible when Riot has said themselves that they aren't.
lol, read his post. he deserved a lot worse than i gave him

Grunghole

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Quote:
Hey man, how was the ******-baggery last season? Oh, it was good, sweet, thanks for reminding me.

Raolan

09-23-2011

If you think last hitting and spamming a QWER combo is skill, you should get some in real life and notice the difference.

The only skill involved in any video game is judgement of a situation and decision making based on that. Hitting four keys in succession or timing a click is not what I classify as 'skill'.

There are more opportunities to make a sound or terrible judgement in Summoner's Rift, sure, but that doesn't mean each one involves more skill than Dominon.

Spacewolfman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

The arrogance of claiming that just because you've played a game for a few days and see no complex strategies means they don't exist is hilarious.

If we were in the Revolutionary War, you would have been one of those British officers who was all, "herp derp, let's wear bright red uniforms in the forest and stand in nice pretty formations, because that's how strategy works and no one will ever think of new or better ones. Hey...what's all that stealthy movement in those tre--"

Gløry

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raolan View Post
If you think last hitting and spamming a QWER combo is skill, you should get some in real life and notice the difference.

The only skill involved in any video game is judgement of a situation and decision making based on that. Hitting four keys in succession or timing a click is not what I classify as 'skill'.
I believe I covered that in my post already, one of the three or four times I said twitch gaming skills don't amount to much in LoL. And since the other points of finesse found in SR aren't in Dominion, what's it left with?

Gløry

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacewolfman View Post
The arrogance of claiming that just because you've played a game for a few days and see no complex strategies means they don't exist is hilarious.

If we were in the Revolutionary War, you would have been one of those British officers who was all, "herp derp, let's wear bright red uniforms in the forest and stand in nice pretty formations, because that's how strategy works and no one will ever think of new or better ones. Hey...what's all that stealthy movement in those tre--"
Analogy doesn't carry over. I'm not trying to lane and last hit and farm CS on dominion. that would be sticking to old tactics in a new war. I'm saying the rules of the new war don't allow for any finesse or finer skill than "run to a point, hit qwer, right click it if victorious."