Dominion is a skill-less version of League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bladesbane

09-23-2011

If I come home drunk, don't want to go to bed yet, and feel like messing around? You know what I'm gonna be doing. Lol. Not playing a game that requires intense concentration to do well in. DOMINIIOOONNN!!!

Zebulone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz1972 View Post
I'll wager that team strategies will be far more important in Dominion.
No.

Moddim

09-23-2011

Your right it does not take last hitting or "know" when ganks are coming skills. However it does take team fight and obejective awareness skills.

StandAloneX

09-23-2011

Seems like what was removed to me was ks'ing.. trolling about ratio's, and whining.

Cuz1972

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADKILLA72 View Post
No.
Yes.

Melogrunty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

go back to SR.

Samenko

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesbane View Post
If I come home drunk, don't want to go to bed yet, and feel like messing around? You know what I'm gonna be doing. Lol. Not playing a game that requires intense concentration to do well in. DOMINIIOOONNN!!!
Solid point, hahaha. Drunk dominion, new game mode. It's basically Super Smash Brothers anyway. People who try to say there is deep strategy.... well no.

MrButtermancer

09-23-2011

Dominion merely brings out the OP in unbalanced champions from SR. Seriously. My only complaint is that move speed is way too good there. Rammus and Teemo are beyond frustrating.

Vayne is fed GG

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlÝry View Post
Everything that separated good players from bad players on SR is missing. Last-hitting, not pushing your lane, map awareness/warding, decision making in terms of whether to stay in the lane and get XP, risking being ganked or killed, or to play it safe and go back, trying to create opportunities to secure map objectives, and most importantly, positioning in teamfights.

You spawn, you run to a node, and you fight people there. There isn't a whole lot of depth to this in League of Legends. Don't get me wrong, I love LoL. But you only have 4 moves. Generally speaking there isn't a lot of distance between someone performing with robotic optimal precision, and someone who is pretty good. In fact, most of the opportunities for extremely good play came on Summoner's Rift, where someone highly attuned to their character might sneak in, get a kill, and just barely return to safety. Here, there would be no point in that, because they would still control the node.

So if twitch gaming skill is out, what is left? From what I've seen, it's pretty much just spawn, run at each other, use your skills, some people die, some live, cap nodes, repeat. Is this fun? Sure! Is it..."filling?" Not really...There's hardly any way to distinguish yourself, or to do a good job. In SR, you can leave the lane with 200 CS, or gank extremely well on your jungler and help the lanes, or ward their red and ambush their jungle and cripple him. Dominion? You can run to a node, fight, die, or live and cap. And this is pretty much all you can do.

Meanwhile, the people that do the dying, wind up with more or less the same amount of resources as the people that do the living. This helps prevent a slippery slope, sure, but it also has a really annoying Mario-Kart effect where comebacks can happen out of nowhere. Again, fun, but not definitely not satisfying, as you're either robbed from your win or handed a win you didn't earn.

Another point. Some champions are absolutely off the wall insane in dominion. Rammus is an auto-ban, no questions asked. Jax, Akali, Irelia, pretty much all the tanky DPS reign supreme here. And in the spirit of free gold, and 1v1 and 2v2 skirmishes, melee carries like Tryn and Yi thrive as well. In the "real game," these heroes, and others I haven't mentioned, are held back by various things, either poor laning phases, ability to be counterpicked by someone that can outlane them, or being relegated to the jungle, or having to go up against a full team of 5 at one time who can focus them down. None of these elements exist in Dominion. So yeah it's fun to finally get to play some heroes that can't find a place in SR (no im not saying every hero I named above can't find a place on SR, don't be stupid), the 5-man tanky dps squad is REALLY ANNOYING. And you can't out-lane them, or farm more gold than them by securing dragon, you can't outposition them in a teamfight. You just gotta go head first against them, and pretty much get mauled unless you're playing a similar comp. There's no finesse.

TL;DR: Thier is no skill in Arthai basin, Only in Artic valley.

One final note, I've noticed one thing in Dominion that stands out to me as a unique skill. Knowing when to towerdive hardcore, and when to have one guy channel the tower to disable it and to distract the enemy. Indeed you can even trade off channeling the tower for maximum disable time and distraction. It's pretty fun in a premade on vent. Good luck EVER achieving this in a pug. And besides, it might not matter at all, based on the 2-4 champions involved in that fight--it might be altogether one sided.
Fixed

Kwisatz Haderach

09-23-2011

only reason you are *****ing is because champs were designed for SR type gameplay...if they had champs balanced around Dom (they would have to be new champs or complete reworks that only activated in Dom) then strategy would matter more