Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Dominion: My Comprehensive View

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zulgaines

09-23-2011

Quote:
jkEmmaWatson:
The problem with doing this MajorKite, is that it would drastically slow Dominion down. I'm really enjoying Dominion as a fast-paced respite from Summoner's Rift.

Pushing towers 24/7 doesn't happen in Dominion (at least it doesn't if SOMEONE is defending). It's actually pretty ****ed hard to push a tower that has a defender around it. The only way you can be sure that you can safely push a tower without consequences is if you know the exact positioning of the enemy team and know that they're too far away to stop you (which is where planning and strategy comes in; if a team has spread themselves too thin, they're going to lose towers). I've consistantly baited people into thinking that I've left the tower so that they push it, only to come back 2 or 3 seconds into their channeling to beat the snot out of them.

It might feel mindless if both teams are simply running around in a clockwise circle capping towers with little deviation, but I haven't encountered a single game like that.

Depends on the defender, which is also a cool factor in Dom. Taking a turret from Heimer or Alistar requires at least 2 or 3 people if they're decent.

HippiekillerVX9

09-23-2011

Quote:
MajorKite:
The tower only seems to shoot while its under your control. If you are too slow, you have zero backup because the tower is neutral now and wont shoot anything. The tower should not be able to be pushed without some planning.

That is true, if made neutral the tower will not engage. In fact, there is no tower when the point is neutral. But that is part of the strategy side of things. Sure, leave a spot undefended and it can be hacked easily. But leave just one champion nearby and you have a different story. Also, it is key to pick the right points to focus on. Sometimes it is ok to lose a point adjacent to your spawn location to ensure keeping the point furthest away. Why? Because those folks who died can then easily recapture the close point.

All I am saying is that constant "back hacking" is normally the least successful tactic in this style of competitive play.

I dont think the tower should fight when being hacked, there should be risk involved in leaving an owned point unattended. One fix could be increasing the value of a point the longer it is owned. That would give you more of the result I think you are looking for.

Saint Latona

09-23-2011

Still got cut off :/

TheChief

09-23-2011

Know how to fix it? It looks fine when I go to edit but then when I post it, it snaps back to the regular width.

TheChief

09-23-2011

I couldn't agree more with your most recent response, Hippiekiller. The way the turrets work now is pretty much perfect. While I would like the option for splash damage on the turret when garrisoned, I think having it so that 1 person can quite easily defend against 1 other but 1 person cannot very easily defend against 3+ is about right. Deciding to try and stay and hold the point versus letting it fall but grabbing a different one is just another strategic decision that will need to be made.

BigDaddyDelish

09-23-2011

My favorite part of Dominion is just how much more vastly viable a lot of champions are. Riven is my new favorite champion after playing Dominion because for the first time, I actually felt really powerful. That when I made great plays with her, I was in turn greatly rewarded for executing my strategies with her.

In Summoner's Rift though, I feel outclassed by other champs and overall weak, especially during the laning phase.

Same goes for other champs. I felt the same way with LeBlanc, Olaf, and Maokai. Champs can really stretch out the limits of their kit so much more in Dominion I feel like.

My only complaint, and I mean my only complaint, is that the huge demand for teamwork and strategy can make solo que frustrating to work with. Things come at you hard and fast, and typing things out to people you don't know and have never played with can really hinder your placement in that match. I think that's where people are getting the brainless/skill-less assumptions from, although tbh it couldn't be further from the truth.

The only other thing is I don't feel that support gets enough points for what they do. I played as Karma and even though I felt like I was having such an awesome impact my score was the lowest, and my team was calling me useless. This was mostly due to how I would sprint my teammates up to a point, and then instead of capping go off and try to fend off someone who was trying to interrupt. But that's not really a complaint so much as, "Support should get more recognition."

Zamíel

09-23-2011

Quote:
jkEmmaWatson:
I do believe though, for Dominion to be taken seriously, it needs some serious balance fixes. Obviously you can't get Rammus, Jax, Akali, Yi, Talon, ect. banned every game. Something needs to be done to change the way brusiers, assassins, and Rammus (lol) affect the game in Dominion without causing a nerf to them in Summoner's Rift. Also, it would seem like AP casters have a very hard time in Dominion (which seems counter-intuitive to me, but nonetheless, I haven't seen an AP caster excel near the levels of bruisers or assassins), might they recieve a buff that won't make them OP in Summoner's Rift? The easiest way to do this would be to create more Dominion-Only items to buff up AP casters, but who knows what'll happen.

I routinely take 1st place in points as ap sion and its really hard for 1 or 2 people to stop me from capturing or defending a point.

Edit: It's also surprisingly easy to stack up enrage once your shield can take out minions in a single hit I can clear about two waves of minions without stoping just by running down a lane to my next target spamming shield.

Piano Kitten

09-23-2011

There is a lot of sentiment against AP champions that I don't think is justified. Most of these characters serve a slightly different purpose. Obviously champions like Kassadin, Leblanc, and Lux are going to be fine aggressively because of their map presence, but your more standard casters will usually find more utility in defensive roles. For example, Swain can easily kite multiple enemies around a turret while preventing them from capturing. Furthermore, with the way levels and gold scale in this mode, champions who would usually get less farm in SR will still be able to complete their core builds. In this sense, tanks and supports who did not get cs in SR will still be able to maintain a high level of utility. Farmed carries are still a nuisance, but they are not the end-all be-all in Dominion.

TheChief

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkEmmaWatson (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=14842018#post14842018)
I do believe though, for Dominion to be taken seriously, it needs some serious balance fixes. Obviously you can't get Rammus, Jax, Akali, Yi, Talon, ect. banned every game. Something needs to be done to change the way brusiers, assassins, and Rammus (lol) affect the game in Dominion without causing a nerf to them in Summoner's Rift. Also, it would seem like AP casters have a very hard time in Dominion (which seems counter-intuitive to me, but nonetheless, I haven't seen an AP caster excel near the levels of bruisers or assassins), might they recieve a buff that won't make them OP in Summoner's Rift? The easiest way to do this would be to create more Dominion-Only items to buff up AP casters, but who knows what'll happen.

I have done well with morgana but I don't go full out AP with her. But I agree that there needs to be some special AP items added since AD gets all kind of love. And like I mentioned earlier, I think once people have had enough time with it to really determine who is OP and UP, champion specific buffs (as in the buff you start with in Dominion, not like buffing champions) are gonna be the only option.

TheChief

09-23-2011

Quote:
The only other thing is I don't feel that support gets enough points for what they do. I played as Karma and even though I felt like I was having such an awesome impact my score was the lowest, and my team was calling me useless. This was mostly due to how I would sprint my teammates up to a point, and then instead of capping go off and try to fend off someone who was trying to interrupt. But that's not really a complaint so much as, "Support should get more recognition."

I hear that. I used to love playing supports on SR because it's so under appreciated and makes your team just so much stronger. It will be interesting to see how helpful supports are in Dominion. But I do agree that they should get more points. I know it's like Who's Line is it Anyway where the points are made up and don't really matter but it's still nice to have something to show for how well you played, especially when your team is accusing you of doing nothing.