My tips on Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JuniorTroller

09-23-2011

Well day 2 of Dominion is over and boy was it a long one. I've started making new strategies to figure out which work best. Here's just some things I've noticed. If you have any tips, please comment. (note: windmill is the tower at the very top of the map equal distance from the two bases.)

The best starting method is to go 4:1. This means send 4 top and 1 bottom. The one solo bottom can Easily capture the bottom tower closest to your base with no problem. The four top split up. One goes to the upper tower closest to your base, and THREE go to the windmill. Whoever gets windmill at the beginning of the game is a heavy favorite to win. Fight for control of windmill to start the game may be the most important part of it. The one person bottom should just focus on defending the tower, especially if the other team tries to send two bottom (which should give your team free windmill since you will have a 3v2). If the other team only send one bottom you're bottom can even try to push the minions towards them, they just have to make sure they dont die to give up a free bottom tower. If the other teams bottom goes and try to help top, you get another free bottom tower. Now, the one top person who grabbed the tower closest to base should immediately go help the top fight over windmill once they get a capture. A lot of times they can clean up the extra scraps if the other team barely wins and you're team can still gain control of windmill early.

As the game progresses I've seen a lot of people overextend. The goal of the game is to have more towers than the other team. Many times I saw one team have control of 3 towers but keep trying to push to get a fourth. This usually leads to the other team ganking them since they are so close to their base, and being able to get a tower or two while having a 4v5. A better strategy is to try to get control of three towers early and make the other team become aggressive in trying to tower dive you to get a tower back. Most of the time, even if they do get a tower back, they will be so low that you can either easily kill them or make them go back to base, giving you time to recapture the tower. So in conclusion, don't become so aggressive trying to completely control the towers so that you leave your other towers vulnerable. Obviously, if you are down, you have no choice but to try and take control of their towers quickly by backdooring (taking towers without your minions there).

Once you have control of three towers, it is also VERY important to defend them. If you have the two towers on your side of the map plus top middle, make sure to keep someone close enough to each tower to defend it from a backdoorer on the enemy team. Many many times I saw someone capture windmill, and then go bottom because a team fight would be happening. You should never have all five of your teammates near each other. By trying to gank the other team with all five people, someone on their team can easily go top and capture the top tower while you are chasing them around the middle of the map. If the other team sends all five people bottom, whoever is defending top can take one of the towers near their base while the rest of your team is using the aid of the tower to fight off the other team. If your team does die, you've still got control of top tower and one of the enemies teams towers, and as soon as your team comes back to life, they can easily take back the two towers near base and you have the advantage again.

The best champions seem to be dps assassins. Most of the time it will be 1v1 or 2v2. Some of the best champions I have seen are ones like teemo, xin zhao, vayne, akali, master yi, tryndamere, and gangplank just to name some. I know I'm leaving some off but you get the point. Other good champions I have seen are ones with large map control with global ults like Nocturne and GP. With GP's ult you can stop an enemy from taking your tower because if you hit them with your ult while theyre capping a tower, it will stop their capture as well as make the tower attack them. Rammus is also extremely good for dominion because movement speed can win games. After reading reply's to this post I have decided one hardcore tank that can poke around at other players and defend that bottom tower from up to 3 enemies at once is needed. If a singed or someone can keep the enemies from capping a point by continuously harassing them without taking much damage, it eliminates a tower the other four people on the team have to worry about, letting the roamers keep the enemies off the other two towers and letting the assassins really take down anyone who tries to backdoor. The other two towers are so close together that if you can have four people guarding them, they're almost impossible to take. I'm sure we'll find out more about which champions are good for this style in the next few days.

As far as team composition goes, you'll need one main defender to keep hold of the bottom tower nearest your base. For the most part, this means a tanky character who can take some damage while also poking at up to 3 enemies trying to capture the point while he's there. The other team won't be able to capture the point if they are being attacked so you don't even have to fight them. Just poke around at them and make them fight you so you have the tower on your side as well. Heimer is also good for this job early game with his turrets. Next you need a super speedy character. This person will definitely be going for windmill to start the game. You want to be able to reach the windmill before the enemy team so speed counts here. You'll also need two assassins. These are people who can 1v1 anyone. These will stop those backdoorers trying to sneak through the forest. Last, you'll need a roamer. These can help bottom if it gets too overloaded with enemies and the tank can no longer hold them off by himself. Also, if an assassin dies, he can go cover for them while still defending himself if he gets attacked along the way. In late game, the speedy character should be focused on trying to backdoor the enemy if they get too bunched up. If an assassin dies or bottom needs help, these people should also go help there if the roamer is already busy elsewhere. Remember, defend first.

I'm sure everyone is interested in trying out the new items. I've looked through the items and found some to be more helpful than others. I'd suggest looking at this picture to see all the new items in a nice format to see what they do: http://i.imgur.com/xPgyX.png
Prospector's Blade and Prospector's Ring and the replacements for Dorans blade and ring. They cost more (since you start out with more gold) but also do more damage (since you start out a higher level). I'd suggest starting out with one of these or boots. Moving on, Priscillas Blessing is definitely worth investing on almost anyone. It gives 15% faster capture rate which really can change the game as well as a 30% movement speed boost for 2 seconds upon activation with a 60 second cool down. Movement speed is also crucial sometimes when trying to get to an enemy before they capture a point from you. This will give you the extra boost you need. Sanguines Blade replaces Bloodthirster with 60 AD and 15% lifesteal with stacks upon hit. Any AD carries/assassins should get this fairly early. If the other team is healthy, try getting Kitae's Bloodrazer which is similar to Madred's, dealing 2.5% of the enemies max health. I suggest staying away from Iconic Spark (45% attack speed, 250 health, chain lightening every 4 hits dealing 100 damage) and The Lightbringer (20 attack damage, 50% attack speed, reveals enemy hit for 5 seconds) because there are better items you can get later in the game that do their job better. Tanks should benefit from Odyns Veil with health, mana, and MR, as well as dealing up to 600 damage from stored up damage taken. Hextech Sweeper offer cooldown reduction but what I like about it is it is a free clairvoyence. It even reveals stealth in the area you use it on. My favorite new item is the Entropy (70 AD, 274 health, on-hit slow, an extra 80 true damage when activated). Entropy with a sanguines blade and phantom dancer is a good combination for dps characters. maybe if you wanted to go more tanky you could go with another frozen mallet and atmas. It all depends on which champion you're playing though. Just make sure you get familiar with the new items so you don't miss out on anything.

More on quests coming soon. They play an important role in the game but are ignored by most users. But they both take away bonus points from the enemy nexus and give you're whole team a buff. It's the little things that win games.

With dominion comes two new summoner spells: Garrison and Promote. I haven't really tried promote because to me it seems like minions don't play much of a role in this game because a lot of the times you're trying to take a tower you don't even have your minions there. If anyone has any tips on ways it can be used to a better extent than other summoner spells please share you're ideas here though. I'm sure it has some uses I haven't realized yet.
Garrison is definitely worth looking at. I recommend having at least two people on your team with Garrison. Whoever the one person is that gets top tower closest to your tower HAS to get Garrison. They need to take control of this spot fast so that they can get top to windmill to help that team fight up there ASAP! The few seconds you save capping that first top tower will definitely help you gain control of windmill. Your team should be able to have at least a 4v3 at windmill and in some cases, a 4v2 if the other team splits up 2 bot, 3 top. Also, if you have a speedy champion like teemo or shaco they can get Garrison and try to get the windmill tower before the other team even has a chance to reach it. Garrison is also very useful for tower diving, but I tend to use it more for capturing.

If you didn't feel like reading this, in summary:
1) start by sending 4 top, 1 bot. 3/4 top go to windmill, other goes to closer tower. guy from closer tower helps fight for windmill top after he's captured closer tower.
2) dont overextend. if you have 3 towers, dont get greedy and try to go for more and die, giving them a free tower
3) defend. don't group up trying to kill the other team. stay spread out so someone from your team can always stop the other team if they try to backdoor and capture one of your towers.
4) dps assassins win games. there aren't any 5v5 fights, there's lots of 1v1 and 2v2. 1 tank to defend bot tower is needed though. having this tank lets the dps and roamers focus on their jobs. speed is also important.
5) get familiar with the new items
6) quests
7) use Garrison summoner spell to get a quick capture on the top two towers.

Please add your tips. If there's anything good I'll add it and I'll be trying to think of more tips myself to share with you.

JuniorTroller

09-23-2011

reserved

Lord Gildarts

09-23-2011

Well not really a tip but promote can come in handy when capture points, same with global ults to hit ppl far away for your team mates to catch up to them.

RPGKing4

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

I think tanks are actually huge in this game. I'd recommend 2 per team. Those 2 constantly guard (such as your 1 bottom) and have the other 3 ambush and capture.

JuniorTroller

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Gildarts View Post
Well not really a tip but promote can come in handy when capture points, same with global ults to hit ppl far away for your team mates to catch up to them.
definitely global ults are helpful. that's what i meant to say when i was talking about GP's ult and nocturnes. i found gp's ult extremely helpful. even more useful in dominion than it was at summoners rift. and it was pretty darn useful at summoners rift.

JuniorTroller

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGKing4 View Post
I think tanks are actually huge in this game. I'd recommend 2 per team. Those 2 constantly guard (such as your 1 bottom) and have the other 3 ambush and capture.
yeah, i would definitely recommend 1 to hold that bottom tower in the beginning while the fight for windmill is happening. heimer with his turrets is actually the perfect role for holding bottom though. but tanks are definitely best for holding towers with the way towers act now. if you start fighting them, it stops them from capturing and the tower will attack them. so tanks dont even have to do a lot of damage, they just have to be able to survive to slow the other team from taking that point. definitely a good point you have there.

KoolTurkey

09-23-2011

i mostly agree with you

Helorik

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggalyWiggaly View Post
Whoever gets windmill at the beginning of the game is a heavy favorite to win.
There is no favorite to win. I just had a game where the enemy team was 350+, we were on 11. We won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggalyWiggaly View Post
Tanks roles are weakened because you will rarely have 5v5 team fights.
I disagree. Try to cap a point with an un-killable Singed or Amumu trolling around stopping you. Early on tanks die like the rest, but mid-late, tanks be an unmovable annoyance.

I agree with some of the other stuff you're saying - namely if you have 3 points; defend.

JuniorTroller

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolTurkey View Post
i mostly agree with you
thanks, if you've got any other ideas i'm open to them. these are just some general idea's i've got from playing 2 days. I'm sure if I play another day my views will change and ill think of more stuff.

Aiinna

09-23-2011

Once played with a leona, she defended points from 3 at once for a while, till we showed up (a while being >1 minute)

Tanks with great aoe disruption have some important jobs once they get tanky.

Self sustain or awesome 1v1 fighters are definitly VERY good in Dominion (akali, WW (that ult is up all the time), etc.)