how long does it take for Elo to catch on

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boatman Choosy

06-02-2010

I am level 19 right now, and i am still getting games where i am 5/5, my allies are 0/7 and the enemy team all has killing sprees. When does this tend to center out for mostly equivalent games? thanks.

R66Y

06-02-2010

A lot of games. With the games being 5v5, there is a lot of noise that the ranking system need to work through before it will accurately reflect your score. Also, if you were new to the genre when you started, you may improve more rapidly, throwing your Elo score off more. Generally, most people seem to settle in between 100-150 games to about where they should be from my experience, although some have reported being effectively ranked within 50 games.

As far as having bad teams, it will always be there unfortunately. People have bad games, try new champions, get carried up in Elo through dumb luck, and AT with wildly different Elo rankings. All of this means that even with the best system, you will always have some games where your team fails through no fault of yours. Just take solace in the fact the the other guys have to put up with it too (even if it doesn't seem like it to you) and it all tends to even out over the long run. Best advice I can give is to start adding people who play well (with or against you) to your friends list and AT more often.

SethCypher

06-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66Y View Post
A lot of games. With the games being 5v5, there is a lot of noise that the ranking system need to work through before it will accurately reflect your score. Also, if you were new to the genre when you started, you may improve more rapidly, throwing your Elo score off more. Generally, most people seem to settle in between 100-150 games to about where they should be from my experience, although some have reported being effectively ranked within 50 games.

As far as having bad teams, it will always be there unfortunately. People have bad games, try new champions, get carried up in Elo through dumb luck, and AT with wildly different Elo rankings. All of this means that even with the best system, you will always have some games where your team fails through no fault of yours. Just take solace in the fact the the other guys have to put up with it too (even if it doesn't seem like it to you) and it all tends to even out over the long run. Best advice I can give is to start adding people who play well (with or against you) to your friends list and AT more often.
You can't exactly dissuade this or blame the people, if they want to try something new in a match then props off to them. All you can really do is play your best.

D2Freak

06-04-2010

it's the way of the game. I'm level 30 for some time now. Sometimes i get in a couple of games that are dead easy. (me and my team get lots of kills and wipe them out under 25) A game after that i get unbeatable opponents, they slaughter me and my team. In 10 games, i usually get 4 almost balanced games, 4 dead easy games and 2 i fail miserably games. Not always depending on me, sometimes i have great teammates, and sometimes u dont (yes i pug).
In my experience after lvl 25 u usually get teammates that understand the basics of LoL and u will get better games. Balanced games (if i dare to say so). But not always unfortunately.

The hardest part is getting through all thos bad games with teammates that dont get the basics yet. But, i've found one thing that works, try to talk to them.
"You suck ass noob" seems like a good way to let someone know how u feel about his playstyle, but the chance that this player will try harder has now decreased to zero.
Just give them advice like: hug the tower. Play defensive.
Or help them out.

The more games u win, the faster your elo rises.

TKana

06-04-2010

It should balance out after about 150-200 games, or atleast for me it has. It takes a while

castaway523

06-04-2010

It balances out when you start to win on a regular basis. Try to play carries so you can act as one of the most important factors in a team fight. If you can do well, then your team should do good as well.

Also try to be a leader. Tell people when they are about to get ganked, tell people to group up and go dragon/baron. I've found that people at this elo generally listen to suggestions given and (as long as you are giving a half-decent suggestion) your team should be doing better than the other team.