Winning team is invincible to point loss

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keldon888

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehtaMezhan View Post
That is actually a great idea.
How about, past a certain point, each death starts adding slightly to your respawn timer?

Obviously less than in Summoner's Rift... but enough that if a team is working together well and scoring kills, the game rewards them for doing well.
This would prevent the "bad team luck-caps to victory" issue.
That's only if you believe in "luck-caps."

Your team failed on some level to allow that cap. If on SR you let a yi or someone backdoor you while you hang out near their base its still very much your fault. Just like if they can't fight you in dominion and out maneuver you its still your fault.

MehtaMezhan

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldon888 View Post
That's only if you believe in "luck-caps." Your team failed on some level to allow that cap.
Again, I strongly disagree.
You're telling me you never simply had an unlucky fight under a turret and lost a cap?

And a team should be rewarded for capping, no doubt about it.
My argument here is that because of these bad mechanics, the effect is far too strong.

David Slain

09-23-2011

I played two dominion games. Final score on the first one was a victory for us, 350-0 and the second game was much harder- we had an alakai with connection problems, so it was basically a 4v5- and the score dropped to 25ish to 250, their favor. Just like in Summoner's Rift, if you band together, and stick together, a 4v5 match is still very winnable- and win we did. I don't see (just based on this small sampling) how a competent team cannot shut down another team, and also how a competent team cannot make a good comeback.

Then again, I WAS playing Tryndamere, with revive and ghost- maybe that made the difference?

Edit: Wow, this is nasty. Why are we getting downvoted for dissagreeing with the OP?

Cyxe

09-23-2011

I won a game when we were down 1-186. I believe we had the stronger late-game comp and this had a lot to do with how we ended up winning and 5-capping before the end. For as frustrating as it was for the other team, in the most objective light I could give to that situation, we earned the win and they knew it.

Keldon888

09-23-2011

Quote:
Again, I strongly disagree.
You're telling me you never simply had an unlucky fight under a turret and lost a cap?

And a team should be rewarded for capping, no doubt about it.
My argument here is that because of these bad mechanics, the effect is far too strong.
I guess I don't understand what makes this not a sense of entitlement issue. Losing a fight is losing a fight, if you wish to win, don't lose crucial fights. Or be more mobile than them.

I just see it as they controlled the points longer than you, theirs just happened to come at the end of the game rather than early on. Is that crushing to be close to victory and have it taken away? Yes, but if you are the better team you can do something to get a point back.

MehtaMezhan

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldon888 View Post
but if you are the better team you can do something to get a point back.
I'd argue that if your team was holding majority rule for some time, and your team is generally rolling positive KDR, you already are the better team.
Staunching the flow of points via one control cap feels like over-indulging.

Mailius

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
The slope I meant was simply in the degree you are winning. If you're trying to hold 4 points, it is HARD, unless the other team is not exploiting your weakness). If they ignore your back two points and just contest the nearer ones, well...that's poor play on their part. While I view the <125 points = no point less for point control shift or kills as similar, both teams encounter it equally on their road to victory so I feel it's something of a misnomer. I think it's a way of emphasizing the importance of the lategame.
Ah, so there isn't a mechanic? I guess it just feels that way since most of the time my team has been winning by a substantial margin, the enemy team seems to somehow rally and recap a majority, so I thought there may have been something like gold awards for having your next dip below certain levels or something similar.

KrYoS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Quote:
This is my only complaint with Dominion.
And a constant irritant for an otherwise enjoyable game mode.

We nearly lost a 300-40 match, due to (in my opinion) terrible mechanics.
They three-cap, and it takes us four minutes to take it back. Which is fine, but...

The issue is that we easily would have won if they had been losing 2 points per death.
But they weren't. They had more towers, and were thus invincible.
Add in the fact that defending with turrets is advantageous, and you have a recipe for frustration.

Now, I imagine the common responses will be "ninja a turret" and similar.
Which is valid, I'm just saying it's frustrating, and feels arbitrary.
Because of this, I don't think I'll be playing Dominion much, which is a shame - I was looking forward to it.

I feel like Riot wanted "epic comebacks" (cough) to happen way too often, and as a result, added a mechanic that punishes players for doing well.

Anyway, just my 2 cents
It's still fun and well-designed, I hope they do reconsider this part though.
Please comment rather than downvote, I'd like to hear people's opinion even if you disagree.
Welcome to capture and hold type of gameplay. Guess you've never played Battlefield, COD, TF2 or other games that have this same game mode and type of play. That's one of the awesome things about Dominion. It's never over till it's over. Unlike classic where there is this snowball effect, even often times decided by the first kill or 2, in Dominion, any lead is not safe if you can't control the capture points. If this game style does not suit you, you still have SR and TT to keep you occupied.

I personally love the fast action and think the game play on Crystal Scar is a refreshing change from the standard mode. I think this will also bring a lot of new people to LoL because it is more accessible for newcomers as they can just jump in and enjoy the combat and frantic action easier than they can on SR. Also remember that this is brand new and nobody has it all figured out yet. Riot has figured out some meta concepts on how it will play, but with millions of players, this could change. The dynamic nature of the quests also keep the game from always being the "hold 3 points and turtle" that could happen. I'm loving it so far. Keep up the good work Riot!

Fotpug

09-23-2011

I think the mechanic of quests and the ability of teams to react to this is how those situations are supposed to be avoided. A team on top should be able to complete a quest and deal that last bit of damage to an enemy team. I feel your pain on the 3:2 situation but I truly believe that it was RIOT's intention for the quest system to be a lot more dynamic and responsive to what is happening within the game.

MehtaMezhan

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrYoS View Post
Welcome to capture and hold type of gameplay. Guess you've never played Battlefield, COD, TF2 or other games that have this same game mode and type of play.
This post is confusing and a little insulting, seeing as I've played... all of those games.
I'm well aware of the "capture and hold" gameplay; perhaps you didn't read my original post thoroughly?

Maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was that said gameplay could be improved.
Telling me that I'm just not cut out for this game mode is a little juvenile...