Winning team is invincible to point loss

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

09-23-2011
3 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Draconus View Post
The problem is that kills don't count for nexus health after it drops below 100. We lost a game at the very end because me team kept chasing for kills to try and get the last 10 hp from the nexus down. It should be either changed, or explained well enough that this confusion doesn't exist.
This I actually feel is also beneficial. That last quarter (125) points when ONLY controlling a dominating portion of points will win you the game is crucial. It stops simple attrition of flipping a point back and forth from ending the game in the current winners' favor. They need to have a clear advantage to win. It's kind of like in tennis - you need to win by 2.

njr045

09-23-2011

stop crying, grow some balls, and adapt.

PlainswaIker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

what u do is u back door a tower they are not defending at the time hit it for as much as u can and then book it out before they get you and do that constantly make them run like chickens with there heads lopped of and boom u are denting there nexus points

Dire Drenz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

It's all really reliant on teamwork and communication. As we see players improve upon strategies for CS, we'll see stronger, more dominant team play come out on top.

I'm 6-2 personally so far, and I've had some pretty epic comeback victories because the enemy team was too scattered or focused too much on one point.

EDIT: What I like to do is rush a point with 1 or 2 other people, then as soon as it hits neutral i rush another point as the enemy team comes to defend, we may not cap either, but both go neutral, losing the enemy team valuable point ticks, and potentially causing us to have the tower advantage for a time.

EDIT #2: Whoever's downvoting all pro-Dominion, upvoting all anti-Dominion posts, you're not helping :/

Mailius

09-23-2011

I don't have any problem with the other team not bleeding points all the time (like in Arathi Basin), it does kind of bother me that after some point the opposing team stops losing points from kills. It also bothers me that you can gain "activity points" or whatever they are called for dying for similar reasons.

Although, the close games tend to be the best, it's still really strange to go from 300-60 to win with something like 40-0

MehtaMezhan

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
If you lost, they controlled more turrets than you for longer. Even a 5cap is not going to end the game if you had above 50-70 points left and you're able to wrest 2 points fairly quickly. "Momentarily losing majority rule" is going to bring that 300 to like...250. Max. Unless we have different definitions of momentary.
I see what you're saying, but my point was that your team may be doing quite well in terms of both KDR and control, but if you lose that critical 3-cap, you can definitely hold onto said 3-cap while dying a silly amount of times. It's incredibly frustrating to be trading blows, and doing well, but not well enough to cap a single tower.

Meanwhile, if this mechanic didn't exist, your team would have probably won several times over via point loss due to deaths, thus rewarding you for teamwork (which I thought was the point of Dominion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainswaIker View Post
what u do is u back door a tower
I did mention that in my original post

exelsis xax

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehtaMezhan View Post
I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you mean.
All I'm saying is, both teams should lose the -2 points per death. Even if they have more towers controlled.

The fact that they don't feels arbitrary, and frustrating.
I respect that you may feel differently though.
both teams DO lose 2 points per death regardless of who has more towers. the only thing that keeps teams from losing points for death is having 100? or fewer points. this is not a bug, it is a feature of dominion.

ALMarshun

09-23-2011

Quote:
if you're trying to hold 4 points you are spread thinnn.
I couldn't agree more with this statement, the majority of games i have lost has been because the team zergs the CP and kinda forgets about defense. We are spread too thin and too disorganized and eventually when the enemy realizes this they turtle around the map through jungle and cap the points back strategically to maximize our displacement from the loosing CP. thus shooting around our path to recap and taking another.

Mailius

09-23-2011

Quote:
I've never seen a game of Dominion decided by a single fight. It's because there's a slight positive slope depending on how well you are doing. In standard MOBA play there is a negative slope, aka snowballing. The more you are winning, the easier it is to win because you're now stronger. In something like a standard fps, there is a neutral slope. Winning simply means you are that many points ahead of the enemy that they will need to come back by. In Dominion, if you're trying to hold 4 points you are spread thinnn.
Could you elaborate on what the slight positive slope is that the losing team has? I've sort of felt it, and it's a little frustrating in a way, but it'd be nice to have a discrete answer. (I suspect it's more than "once you're at less than 100 nexus points you don't lose points to champion deaths")

Jadarok

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMarshun View Post
agreed as well.

there really should be a mechanic to loose points per death (maybe based on how many points you control? more cp more point loss per death? -2 when cp >= 3 and -1 otherwise?)

All this would punish is people recklessly feeding. But the system already does that. If you die a lot, even though "feeding" doesn't seem to be as bad in Crystal Scar, you will be giving up map control and losing points that way.

To me a strong 3 cap against an enemy that has a perfect defense, is no different that getting steamrolled in a lane with a feeding and surrendering at 20. Except in Dominion, comebacks are more viable since you could potential cap one more point and then proceed to do the same thing to your opponent.

Quote:
I feel like "amazing comebacks" are interesting, just in some cases not warranted. Consider fun versus anti-fun: sure, it's great to make a huge comeback, but how frustrating is it for the opposing who had a strong lead, yet lost the entire match due to (say) an unlucky fight?
It can happen in SR as well. If you are pwning your enemy all game with a feeding, but the last till late game, one teamfight can still cost you the game. Personally I like that it feels more possible at the moment in Dominion.

Quote:
Maybe I'm alone in this, but it feels bananas to go from a score like 300-60 to 0-60.
This happened 2-3 times in the six (or so) games I tried yesterday.

That felt arbitrary, and really turned me off on the game mode.
I think is more about people not comfortable with the metagame. I think once people learn about the right things to do, and the wrong things to do, you could see less volatile scores. Right now you have people running around like mad men, solo capping everything, and they they come on the forums and ***** because Teemo and Rammus can do that faster ;D

To me the current point and comback system feels a lot better than SR's "Oh **** we got a feeder...they're fed" system.