3 Doran's Ring vs Catalyst on Tanky Mages

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wellspring

09-22-2011

Tanky mages would be Morgana, Cho'gath, Gragas, etc.

Catalyst builds towards Rod of Ages and both builds get a Rabadon's Deathcap after acquiring Sorcerer's Shoes.

Here are the stats for each.

3 Dorans

-1425g
- 45 AP
- 300 Health
- +15 Mana Regen

Catalyst

- 1325g
- 290 Health
- 325 Mana
- (Unique Passive) Upon leveling up, restores 250 health and 200 mana over 8 seconds.

Which option do you guys like better?

p00ningnewbz

09-22-2011

When I play Gragas, it really depends on how well my early game is going. If I'm able to stay in lane long enough, ill usually skip the 3rd ring and start my boots and catalyst. Almost always get at least 2 for the extra uumph it gives me.

Wuumaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2011

Likewise, it depends on how much gold I have when I go shop. If I can afford both Crystals and I'm looking to build RoA, I'll do it. Otherwise I grab another Ring - up to 2 on Grag/Morg, 3 on Cassi (I love that regen), though I'll typically skip the RoA if I get 3 Rings and go straight for Rylai's/Deathcap.

MuhGeeSher

09-23-2011

Dorans Ring.. Of course it's situaltional. For Cho I would just get Catalyst, because Dorans stacking on Cho, I find it to be lame. He has his Ult for more health, and mana regen, Cho's passive already gives him mana.

Madfriar

09-23-2011

Catalyst builds into useful items. Dorans rings become deadweight.

Some champions do not build the catalyst item because they dont build ROA or banshee's veil, such as brand.

Depends who you are playing as to whether or not you want a dorans ring or a catalyst.

ViashinoWizard

09-23-2011

I always build Catalyst on Cho, but then again I play him as a tank rather than tanky mage (I grab merc treads instead of sorc boots, for instance).

MuhGeeSher

09-23-2011

RoA is a must on Cho, it's helpful, just as it is on Singed, then you can just start tank-building.

Madfriar

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhGeeSher View Post
RoA is a must on Cho, it's helpful, just as it is on Singed, then you can just start tank-building.
If RoA was a "must" on Cho, why wouldnt HotshotGG as well as other top players build it everytime on Cho? That is because it is not a "must" on Cho.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Agreed. Cho already has very good health and adding resistances does a lot more to boost his effective health than another big chunk of health.
RoA still works pretty well just by virtue of its efficiency and utility of the catalyst effect early game.