Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Magic or Physical Reference Guide?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lamaron

06-02-2010

I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere of the champions and whether they deal mostly physical or magic damage. Sometimes I'm not sure what to build against a certain team because I don't know what kind of damage they are dealing. Is this something I have to just get a feel for over time, or is there a guide out there?

Thanks!

Carados

06-02-2010

Does it say Physical? Is it named Volley or Syphoning Strike? Then it does physical damage.

Any other ability? Then it does magical damage.

DayInTheSun

06-02-2010

If they are mainly auto attack champions, then they deal physical damage since auto attacks are physical damage for the most part. If the champion utilizes his abilities often, then chances are they are magical. Guys like Garen, Ezreal's mystic shot, Nasus' Siphoning Strike, Pantheon and Gangplank's Parley are exceptions though.

acidammo

Recruiter

06-02-2010

Some champions can build either AP or AD. The easiest way to check is see their items. If they have items like Infinity edge, Last Whisper and Youmuu's Ghostblade, they're doing mostly physical damage. If their items are stuff like Rod of Ages, Mejai's Soulstealer and Zhonya's Ring, they're likely dealing magic damage. People holding items that aren't in either cathegory are either tanks or support, and you don't need to hard counter those.

Carados

06-02-2010

Quote:
acidammo:
Some champions can build either AP or AD. The easiest way to check is see their items. If they have items like Infinity edge, Last Whisper and Youmuu's Ghostblade, they're doing mostly physical damage. If their items are stuff like Rod of Ages, Mejai's Soulstealer and Zhonya's Ring, they're likely dealing magic damage. People holding items that aren't in either cathegory are either tanks or support, and you don't need to hard counter those.

Caution: Kat buys physical damage items and still primarily does magic damage.

Lamaron

06-02-2010

Quote:
Carados:
Caution: Kat buys physical damage items and still primarily does magic damage.

And that is why I often don't know for sure what to build against; there are champs like Kat who break the mold. So it sounds like it's just something I will have to learn over time. Thanks for the quick, helpful replies!