Dominion: Offensive GG's and you.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

blumpz

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drukyul View Post
Ah, gotcha. Mindless spam = good sportsmanship. Thanks.
Good game, meaning, you played your best and we are saying good game, in other words (if you lost) nice try, you gave it your all, we didn't use the word "omg you guys suck so bad", no we said GOOD GAME, not HEY ******, UNINSTALL. Please get a grip on yourself. Lol

Dr Sloth MD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpz View Post
Leave it to the blizzard pampered gamers to ruin a saying....why does it always involve blizzard rofl. Try looking up other games, that invented it, such as various FPS games and not a bunch of crybabies who solely play blizzard games because they give in the weak minded so much.
Blizzard pampered? Hardly. I've certainly played a lot of their games ever since The Lost Vikings, but you can't say I'm "pampered" by them because I linked a single source that relates to their games. Your source was Urban Dictionary for crying out loud, it's not even linked to a reputable group of gamers like mine is and suddenly you can make judgments?

And what game "invented" gg? I can't exactly "look it up" unless you provide a name, unless you're just talking out of your ass, but I never heard it back in the days of DOOM and Quake. Even if "gg" was probably around before Blizzard, I'd bet good money they were integral in popularizing the term because their Battle.Net service was the largest persistently available online multiplayer service for a long, long time. FPS servers come and go, and transmission of memes like "gg" would take a long time when your communities are transient, but Battle.Net was fixed and longstanding. So until you can pinpoint the real etymology of "gg" for me with actual facts you should kindly shut up and stop trying to act like you know more than you do.

I don't solely play Blizzard games; they compose maybe 2% of the games I've played; I've played The Lost Vikings, Warcraft series, Diablo I+II, and Starcraft II. I've always primarily played FPS games and I can't recall hearing GG in any of them until after Battle.Net became popular. So unlike you implied (a concept you still need to work on grasping, by the way) I am neither weak-minded or pampered. I'm simply smart enough to know that even the most well-intentioned insult is still insulting. If I'm standing with you in a room full of developmentally-disabled people and I tell you you're the second smartest guy in the room, even though what I said might normally be considered kind, it's not nice. Clearly someone never taught you tact.

Quote:
Now that you bring it up though, that sir, is what is wrong with the LoL community. So many people just assume they are correct on things without even looking into them.
Huh, kinda like you're doing right now, persisting on in your ignorance while multiple people contradict you, and then making up vague and questionable "facts" about the origins of "gg" when people bring up the idea that you might be the one who is incorrect and has not looked into something.

Drukyul

09-23-2011

Quote:
Good game, meaning, you played your best and we are saying good game, in other words (if you lost) nice try, you gave it your all, we didn't use the word "omg you guys suck so bad", no we said GOOD GAME, not HEY ******, UNINSTALL. Please get a grip on yourself. Lol
By that logic: I didn't call you a ******bag last post, and I even said thanks! I'm such a good person!

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Honestly, dominion is so fun I don't even mind the trolls

Elodin

09-23-2011

Personally I think saying "GG" should only be used when it was actually a good game.

If it's at the start/mid, usually it's a person being sarcastic and saying the game is over because of <insert player/champion here>

If you got totally stomped, and it was a 400-0 match or something, then it wasn't a good game, it was a slaughter. Maybe it was a GG for the team that one, but in my mind it was a bad game for both teams, one team steamrolled and the other team got destroyed, either one is not all that fun imho.

I've probably said GG just to be polite if everybody else has said it, but really I like to reserve it for games that were a real struggle, back and forth until one person managed to win.

Whatever, I'm getting off topic anyway I think.

Dr Sloth MD

09-23-2011

Quote:
Here's the thing about treating people politely (e.g. being a "good sport): you have to consider how your actions will make them feel. If you show someone your open palm in America it usually means "stop" or "hi." If you do this in Greece it means "eat ****." Someone from Greece has the right to interpret your gesture that way and be offended even if that's not what you meant, because in their eyes it is offensive.

Likewise, if your opponent thought the game was bad and unenjoyable, and you thell them it was good and fun, subsequently upsetting them, you are the one in the wrong because you have failed to consider their feelings even if you were trying to be kind. This is especially so because there are plenty of ways to be a good sport and avoid offending people entirely, clearly outlined by myself and other people in this thread. If you choose not to use them then you're too lazy, ignorant, or inconsiderate to even care. Bottom. ****ing. Line.

It was fun guys, but I'm done trying to fit this square peg of knowledge in this guy's tiny round brain hole; it's clearly not going to happen no matter how many people tell him and there are more important and less impossible things to try, like teaching a cat to fetch or a dog to use a litterbox.

blumpz

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoCaldippian View Post
Blizzard pampered? Hardly. I've certainly played a lot of their games ever since The Lost Vikings, but you can't say I'm "pampered" by them because I linked a single source that relates to their games. Your source was Urban Dictionary for crying out loud, it's not even linked to a reputable group of gamers like mine is and suddenly you can make judgments?

And what game "invented" gg? I can't exactly "look it up" unless you provide a name, unless you're just talking out of your ass, but I never heard it back in the days of DOOM and Quake. Even if "gg" was probably around before Blizzard, I'd bet good money they were integral in popularizing the term because their Battle.Net service was the largest persistently available online multiplayer service for a long, long time. FPS servers come and go, and transmission of memes like "gg" would take a long time when your communities are transient, but Battle.Net was fixed and longstanding. So until you can pinpoint the real etymology of "gg" for me with actual facts you should kindly shut up and stop trying to act like you know more than you do.

I don't solely play Blizzard games; they compose maybe 2% of the games I've played; I've played The Lost Vikings, Warcraft series, Diablo I+II, and Starcraft II. I've always primarily played FPS games and I can't recall hearing GG in any of them until after Battle.Net became popular. So unlike you implied (a concept you still need to work on grasping, by the way) I am neither weak-minded or pampered. I'm simply smart enough to know that even the most well-intentioned insult is still insulting. If I'm standing with you in a room full of developmentally-disabled people and I tell you you're the second smartest guy in the room, even though what I said might normally be considered kind, it's not nice. Clearly someone never taught you tact.

Huh, kinda like you're doing right now, persisting on in your ignorance while multiple people contradict you, and then making up vague and questionable "facts" about the origins of "gg" when people bring up the idea that you might be the one who is incorrect and has not looked into something.
I'm not talking about Quake pubs, trying using player ran leagues such as STA. Just because you didn't see them in every single pub you played in doesn't mean it never existed. I played in STA, and it was used in every match.

Edit: So quake may have not started it, but it sure proves it was there when it was around, hence not originating in SC. So keep the multiple people coming to contradict me, I at least know whats going on around here. Just because it's vague for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else.

Zilligatyx

09-23-2011

I offensive GG all the time on SR... though it usually about 5-10 seconds before their nexus explodes...

blumpz

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoCaldippian View Post
Here's the thing about treating people politely (e.g. being a "good sport): you have to consider how your actions will make them feel. If you show someone your open palm in America it usually means "stop" or "hi." If you do this in Greece it means "eat ****." Someone from Greece has the right to interpret your gesture that way and be offended even if that's not what you meant, because in their eyes it is offensive.

Likewise, if your opponent thought the game was bad and unenjoyable, and you thell them it was good and fun, subsequently upsetting them, you are the one in the wrong because you have failed to consider their feelings even if you were trying to be kind. This is especially so because there are plenty of ways to be a good sport and avoid offending people entirely, clearly outlined by myself and other people in this thread. If you choose not to use them then you're too lazy, ignorant, or inconsiderate to even care. Bottom. ****ing. Line.

It was fun guys, but I'm done trying to fit this square peg of knowledge in this guy's tiny round brain hole; it's clearly not going to happen no matter how many people tell him and there are more important and less impossible things to try, like teaching a cat to fetch or a dog to use a litterbox.
They have server regions for a reason though, I'm well aware of different types of gestures, just try giving someone in Iraq a thumbs up or shake hands with the left hand I think it is? It's supposed to be insulting haha. But anyway, it goes both ways. The whole meaning of "GG" is meaning good game, if the other end fails to understand it means just that, then they are in the wrong, because this is NA-League of Legends, not EU or some other region, so people should know better because it means GOOD GAME in the NA region as a whole. Actually go ask anyone on the EU forums about it and they will prob agree with me. Just because YOU find it offensive, doesn't make if offensive. Use your head bro, it's not hard.

blumpz

09-23-2011

OK OK you win I guess, lets change the meaning of how GG was used the past 15+ years all because you got butthurt over someone saying it early, sorry guys but not allowed to have a good attitude in the game anymore, now we will use "hey buddy, fk off" in tradition of the average american attitude.