Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot Staff threatening in game bans for mild verbal antagonizing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iron Bible

06-02-2010

I don't think he should apologize either, because at this point it would be obviously fake. After eleven pages of defending his asinine behavior, it's obvious his brain isn't developed enough to handle the stress of interpersonal communication.

Let him stay banned.

Anarchy656

06-02-2010

Quote:
yes its an abuse of power, but its also a bad idea to blatantly break the rules in front of a dev...both parties are at fault.

How is it abuse of power when he broke the TOS repeatedly and got banned for it?

Darkerblood

06-02-2010

Quote:
ChaosAxess:
Seriously, I've never heard a bigger case of sour grapes. Wow he beat me and acted like an ******* about it, so I'll proceed to rape him with my better team and then ban him AFTER the fact.

Technically in the original post it says that during/after the FIRST game he had been threatened with a "ban on Tuesday" as far as I'm aware.

Soushokudanshi

06-02-2010

Quote:
Morinav:
Excessive, belligerent **** talking is against the rules. You did it to one of the devs. That's like running a red light in front of a cop and being surprised when you get a ticket.

Excellent analogy, let's compare taunting a videogame developer during a match to an action that kills people frequently. I won't defend what the OP did (if it was true he used the C-word) but a permanent ban is rather extreme and even if justified by the rules only happened because it was a dev.

ChaosAxess

Recruiter

06-02-2010

Quote:
Sylph1:
This is not the point. The whole idea is that this person could have insulted anyone... Developer or not, the message was explicit and offensive. The rules and regulations of the system is here for a reason, to protect players from this type of harassment.

-Sylph

And the problem is that they're not doing everything they can to protect the userbase from harassment. Seeing ****s or spaced insults is a lot less intimidating than seeing the actual words in use, which is why it makes no sense to me that you can turn it off at all and then complain about seeing it.

Fl4wless

06-02-2010

i wish more idiots like him would get banned each day,they ruin all the fun in a fun game

turntekGodhead

Recruiter

06-02-2010

Quote:
InsanityPotion:
So you're arguing utilitarianism? Not to Godwin the thread, but utilitarianism was a founding principle of some of the most destructive systems of government to exist. Furthermore, it is no the school of thought but rather the reasoning which will define their actions. It's an argument between categorical and consequential reasoning that you likely aren't prepared to discuss.

Um I find utilitarianism to be very well suited ffor running and moderating an online community.

I don't feel like arguing categorical vs consequential reasoning, no. It's been too long since I took epistemology.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

06-02-2010

I've reduced the ban to 3 days.

I'll be watching you.

ByronicHero

Web Content Editor

Follow ByronicHero on Twitter

06-02-2010

Quote:
ChecKsixX:
The lesson doesnt need to be a complete removal of all ive put into your company as well as time taken out of my life (not that i didnt enjoy every minute)

Perhaps, ChecKsixX. But perhaps you should also think about the 100s of hours that Shurelia put into creating and balancing this game for your enjoyment and exercised a little restraint and respect. This is a tough industry to get into, and I know that very few of us do it for the money. If you want an idea of the time investment that we put into this product, I had a conversation with Shurelia at work yesterday around 10:00 PM PDT.

How about acknowledging that commitment and showing a little class instead of being inflammatory. I've been stomped by teams pretty hard on live, and then, as I was hanging my head in shame and watching my nexus explode, had them say to me: "Thanks for the game. It's been an honor."

Quote:
InsanityPotion:
I never said I didn't enjoy the gameplay and obviously feel it worth my time and money. However, I strongly disagree with your church-like stance of everyone has to stand together and sing Kumbaya around a camp fire while holding hands and circle jerking or else you're banned. There's a profanity filter, there's ignore, there's having the maturity and capacity to act as an adult in a society that is not kind and take your lumps and move on. How much more do you need to shelter people from reality?

I'm a little perplexed by the idea that a condemnation of extremely disrespectful and mean-spirited conduct (particularly to an authority figure) is an ecumenical behavior. Nobody said you had to sing Kumbaya, but rather that you should keep your trash talking out of all chat where it potentially ruins somebody's day. Just be civil. That's really not an unreasonable request.