Limited Beta and Testing "Server Load and Stress" Is Smoke and Mirrors

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Efrim

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

09-21-2011

Hey maybe the red can explain why there are 5 custom games in Crystal scar under the private tab. o_o


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Shank

Senior Member

09-21-2011

I think the real reason Morello wants Dominion to come out is so he can safely nerf Irelia. Everyone will be too preoccupied with Dominion to scream at Morelo about the Irelia nerf

amirite?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheFunderstorm

Senior Member

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykiel View Post
I awkwardly approve.

It actually tastes like Coke!
LIES it tastes NOTHING like Coke!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zanyar2010

Junior Member

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Although I too am a fan of a good conspiracy theory, it really is just because we want to be cautious about the day 1 load of Dominion, both on the gameplay server and platform side. By doing this limited beta, evaluating the data, and then doing rapid tweaks, we can make sure that the entire system doesn't collapse once we flip the switch full time. 'Cause that'd be a bad experience for everyone.
did you say doing "rapid tweaks" ??? that means another dominion beta in a few hours today??! yes yes ? !!!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

draftomatic

Senior Member

09-22-2011

I can't believe this post actually got multiple red responses. This is someone who has never experienced an engineering task like starting up a server cluster aimed at serving over 100,000 people instantly. There are so many issues that can occur it's not even worth getting into. If you can't understand this concept, I would say go get a bachelor's degree in computer science and work in the industry developing commercial grade enterprise software for a few years. You'll laugh your ass off at this post.

As for the business choice of opening beta windows during off hours, that's only one way of doing it. Most of the time companies decide to open a private beta to limit the initial load, but Riot simply decided to do it this way. I'm guessing because of the insane popularity of LoL and the hype surrounding Dominion, they want to satisfy a certain percentage of people in an attempt to reduce day 1 traffic, as well as test server stability.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nokturnalex

Senior Member

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Although I too am a fan of a good conspiracy theory, it really is just because we want to be cautious about the day 1 load of Dominion, both on the gameplay server and platform side. By doing this limited beta, evaluating the data, and then doing rapid tweaks, we can make sure that the entire system doesn't collapse once we flip the switch full time. 'Cause that'd be a bad experience for everyone.
lol Good thing it works out in Riot's advantage eh?

Marketing + Making the servers ready for release.

Cause lets be honest with ourselves people, Dominion is a brand new shiny toy, we all want it right now and want to play it a lot but when you give a kid in a new toy he's usually bored of it within a week.

By limiting how much we can play it it remains as something we can taste but it's just out of reach. Our human nature is to always want more. Once we've eaten our full of dominion we'll be back to wanting more.

(Isn't psychology fun?)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caryatid

Senior Member

09-22-2011

OP is correct. Stop downvoting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Simply, we've never released a feature that will dramatically spike the server like this - it's a massive update that will not only draw attention from the existing LoL base, but former and new players as well. The platform guys can speak more to this than I, but it's assuredly a technology reason.
Co-Op vs AI.

How about a real explanation instead of all these smart remarks?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Catches Axes

Senior Member

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatid View Post
OP is correct. Stop downvoting him.


Co-Op vs AI.

How about a real explanation instead of all these smart remarks?
I'm pretty sure that was intended to be a real explanation...

People have an odd view of what a game designer actually knows about the project they're on. Game Designers are, by and large, not supremely technical individuals. Morello can't go into more detail than he is (without dragging someone else in to explain it) because he doesn't know. And he doesn't know because it isn't his job to know.

And Co-op vs AI isn't even in the same ballpark as this >.>

How about less of a gigantic sense of entitlement?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caryatid

Senior Member

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawmeomg View Post
I'm pretty sure that was intended to be a real explanation...
[...]And he doesn't know because it isn't his job to know.
[...]How about less of a gigantic sense of entitlement?
Explanations that don't explain anything aren't explanations. I'd prefer he simply say he doesn't have an explanation than come in here making snide diversionary remarks.

What, pray-tell, is it that you think I think I'm entitled to? I'm asking for an explanation, that's all. Don't mistake me for some american brat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gravy Jones

Junior Member

09-22-2011

I love how the original poster here is writing as if he has some "right" to be playing the game as soon as it's ready. Riot are a business, and for them to keep going they need to make money, it's a free game and the only people with any rights here are Riot, and they have the right to take as long as they need to, or want to, to do whatever they want involving the game.

If you really have a problem with them trying to maximise their profit (either by making sure dominion is ready, or by doing a tactical release to drum up numbers) then you should boycott Riot. But that isn't going to happen, so pipe down.