Limited Beta and Testing "Server Load and Stress" Is Smoke and Mirrors

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-21-2011
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFunderstorm View Post
I understand that it will spike the servers. I just wonder how you could possibly prepare against this? I mean other than renting extra server space temp. or installing more servers for release day, how is this limited testing actually preparing Riot for Dominion Release Day?
That, I can't speak to intelligently. I can try to poke the platform guys and see if I can get the layman's explanation.

(I do know that the business ramifications are as I laid out though - sooner is better from that front).

Lusis

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Grassy knoll, magic bullet.
Not sure if that is the best reference since that is about the only conspiracy theory that actually has reasonable evidence to support it.

Mykiel

09-21-2011

The reason Morello is so active atm is because he's sipping on some mountain dew staring at the switch for Dominion beta

Shini Laser

09-21-2011

Quote:
I love that show - so silly and ridiculous
Ever watched it with someone who really, really believes in the stuff they shell out and then you try to offer a more rational thinking to them? Trust me, Morello, it doesn't end well. But, I am stupid enough to tell a person who believes in **** near every conspiracy theory that maybe they've gone overboard to their face.

More back on topic: Trust me, I am almost considering already not trying to log on first day of Dominion release. It is likely not going to end well for me, moreso for Riot.

MASSTADEN

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFunderstorm View Post
I understand that it will spike the servers. I just wonder how you could possibly prepare against this? I mean other than renting extra server space temp. or installing more servers for release day, how is this limited testing actually preparing Riot for Dominion Release Day?
they're essentially taking baby steps. think of it this way: day 1 they allow 100 people. everything goes well? day 2 allows 200 people. everything goes well? day 3 allows 300 people and so on and so forth. by doing this they can test when the servers start taking a beating without releasing it to the masses (peak hours) and having the whole platform explode.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-21-2011
6 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusis View Post
Not sure if that is the best reference since that is about the only conspiracy theory that actually has reasonable evidence to support it.
Haha, this is the kind of discussion that can go down the rabbit hole really quickly

TheFunderstorm

09-21-2011

Quote:
That, I can't speak to intelligently. I can try to poke the platform guys and see if I can get the layman's explanation.

(I do know that the business ramifications are as I laid out though - sooner is better from that front).
Thx, well I am excited for the actual release, playing it this morning was amazing and I can't wait another second!

BTW I really am curious what the server guys say

Morello

Lead Designer

09-21-2011
7 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykiel View Post
The reason Morello is so active atm is because he's sipping on some mountain dew staring at the switch for Dominion beta
No way, I wanna play too

Shini Laser

09-21-2011

Quote:
No way, I wanna play too
If I promise a $50 donation by Christmas if I get matched up with at least 3 Rioters, can I haz invite? lol

Mykiel

09-21-2011

didn't deny the mountain dew part