Limited Beta and Testing "Server Load and Stress" Is Smoke and Mirrors

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SOBRAVE STAR

09-21-2011

You're a genius and you've uncovered a giant conspiracy you're ****in epic man seriously!

YamiDragon

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFunderstorm View Post
Title^.

There is something other than server load that is causing the delay. Why? Two reasons

(1) If there were the real issue, they could simply do a "gradual release." What I mean by this, is open Dominion but only allow X games to run at once, then steadily increase the number. and/or only allow people to play a few Dominion games each day. And if its really bad, just disable it during weekends. NOTE: this is different from what's going on now, I mean for Dominion to actually be out and more available.

(2) Do they expect tons more people to log on than normal when Dominion is released? If so, how is this Beta going to prepare them for this influx? Unless they plan to upgrade their server rack, (which they really should have been doing way before the release) I just don't see how this limited beta is actually helping them.

The Real Reason

Marketing. November is a big month in game releases, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this limited beta magically extended until the end of October. Releasing now is bad because the shine of a new game mode will have worn off by the time all of the new big releases come out.
I am sorry but quick question why would the big month(november) for game releases even matter since the game is free to play anyways. And I highly doubt League of Legends is trying to compete with call of duty or other games in that are system based(wii, ps3, xbox etc...)
And the shine for the new game mode will be going on for more than 2 months smh...

Fisher91

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini Laser View Post
You must not have noticed any of the problems. There were serious lag issues at times with Dominion. I mean, speaking you did at least 3 games, how did you /not/ notice a single issue, probably lag/communication related (with respect to the servers).

Trust me, if they released it live right now, I'll have to break out the 360 for a day or two.
I played 2 games and my roommate played 3. Neither one of us noticed a single issue. I think its ready and they are just being way to cautious.

Comatose24

09-21-2011

Quote:
Title^.

Marketing. November is a big month in game releases, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this limited beta magically extended until the end of October. Releasing now is bad because the shine of a new game mode will have worn off by the time all of the new big releases come out.
You do know that its free to play, right? Its not like theyre trying to sell an expansion or anything. I really dont think it matters that much when comparing it to other games being released in November. If anything, I see them releasing it before November because of those blockbuster games.

Glithen

09-21-2011

Quote:

(1) If there were the real issue, they could simply do a "gradual release." What I mean by this, is open Dominion but only allow X games to run at once, then steadily increase the number. and/or only allow people to play a few Dominion games each day. And if its really bad, just disable it during weekends. NOTE: this is different from what's going on now, I mean for Dominion to actually be out and more available.
This would quite possibly piss off even more people. Staring at a pre-game screen spam-clicking "Start Game" would certainly be frustrating. It would also completely negate their need to test their network/server infrastructure because they are putting a superfluous ceiling on it, although I suppose they could increase it at-will when their current load is determined to be stable.

Quote:

(2) Do they expect tons more people to log on than normal when Dominion is released? If so, how is this Beta going to prepare them for this influx? Unless they plan to upgrade their server rack, (which they really should have been doing way before the release) I just don't see how this limited beta is actually helping them.
Yes, they do expect tons more people to login than normal. The same happened at the beginning of Season One and the release of Twisted Treeline (and the beginning of S2/S3 in SC2, for what it's worth). This beta will determine if their servers can handle the influx during off-peak hours and, presumably later in the beta, they will open the game up during peak hours in order to test it. They are probably preparing for a potential backlash from the community if the servers are unable to handle the load by testing it first, because if they release it live and it backfires, they will get countless flak; it's just easier to say the product is in a testing phase so that it's okay if it crashed (for example), which is completely understandable in my opinion.

Quote:

The Real Reason

While you may have a good point here, if this was their mindset, the alternative would be not letting us play at all until October. In the meantime, we get access to the game mode in off-peak hours as opposed to never.

Rodowns

09-21-2011

you are clearly over reacting. it's called a beta test for a reason.

Shini Laser

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher91 View Post
I played 2 games and my roommate played 3. Neither one of us noticed a single issue. I think its ready and they are just being way to cautious.
Dominion itself is ready. However, they did have some lag issues server side (I know it wasn't client side), especially when the EUW servers got crowded because the Americans heard about it. Trust me, it probably isn't ready to hit the servers without causing a mini-implosion.

RedUsagi

09-21-2011

i don't think dominion could compete with bigger console titles. It would be like running a dingy into an aircraft carrier, except the dingy is actually kinda fun to ride around in.

mundox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

Okey-dokey

YSfighter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

I somewhat agree with the OP. I don't know why there are so many people just going OK. Learn to write people?

123456 ... 10