Champion Balance and Dominion beta

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Macab3r

09-21-2011

Quote:
My point is people need to realize that capturing/defending nodes is what is going to win the game in Dominion, but mostly capturing.
Backwards. It used to be tanks/supports job to defend the carry. Now its their job to defend the nodes. Alistair could hold a node vs 2 people indefinitely. So could Heimer. So could shen. So could Sona. Do i need to go on? Yes, some of those could get towerdove, but the map is small. Towerdiving has a higher risk than ever and as soon as people start getting dropped by 2 people they didnt notice every time they went after the sona under the turret, that would stop. Take 3, hold 3. If they zerg one THEN worry about capping a new one, otherwise just defend and win.

7Nasus

09-21-2011

The only thing i found was I couldn't farm my Q whatsoever on Nasus. I may have gotten 3 hits. I really enjoyed getting constant EXP and gold though. Helped A LOT.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-21-2011
2 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scromboid View Post
True, which is why we all hope that the beta will open up for more than 120 minutes a day.

Sounds great. Keep in mind, though, that explaining your reason and rationale for why things are may help shape our opinions on things. Understanding your design goals will help us understand the game.

Again, communicate. Letting us know that you actually won a game or two with Veigar is a great way to communicate your hard work during the balance phase and salve for those who are trying to play and getting shut down. It's easy for a player to go from happy to upset when something they are used to is not working properly with no information on whether or not what they are feeling is a valid, legitimate concern, or just frustration getting used to a new game mode.

Over-communication here is best We are just as passionate about the game as you guys are and sometimes it can feel like our questions and fears and falling on deaf ears. Not always - you guys are great. Right now, though, is a very fragile time when all these months of expectations are finally coming to fruition and for some folks it's getting dashed.

Keep up the great work, Riot. Remember, we love you guys and what you do for us
Will try to communicate goals clearly, though the discovery is fun!

KaLYoshiKa

09-21-2011

We should really take this approach to balance on Summoner's Rift as well.

But seriously, nerf Irelia.

UsoRemix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

whats the fun in the reds telling us they won games with X champ, it gets rid of the discovery aspect to these new modes. rather than give us all the answers, they're letting us figure it out ourselves, which will let the community grow quicker.

IronErro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by scromboid View Post
True, which is why we all hope that the beta will open up for more than 120 minutes a day.

Sounds great. Keep in mind, though, that explaining your reason and rationale for why things are may help shape our opinions on things. Understanding your design goals will help us understand the game.

Again, communicate. Letting us know that you actually won a game or two with Veigar is a great way to communicate your hard work during the balance phase and salve for those who are trying to play and getting shut down. It's easy for a player to go from happy to upset when something they are used to is not working properly with no information on whether or not what they are feeling is a valid, legitimate concern, or just frustration getting used to a new game mode.

Over-communication here is best We are just as passionate about the game as you guys are and sometimes it can feel like our questions and fears and falling on deaf ears. Not always - you guys are great. Right now, though, is a very fragile time when all these months of expectations are finally coming to fruition and for some folks it's getting dashed.

Keep up the great work, Riot. Remember, we love you guys and what you do for us
This. Well said.

CaiusTSR

09-21-2011

Who said casters are UP? That person needs to uninstall right now...

Mad King Aerys

09-21-2011

I have an idea, let me know what problems you guys can find in this. A lot of the problem with balance in this mode seems to be the outsized importance of movespeed. What if rate of capture was inversely related to the speed of a champion? Now, movespeed isn't a static number on a lot of champions (like Rammus) or any champion wearing mobility boots but if capture rate was determined by the buildup over time of 'capspeed points' (think similar to how corki's rockets build up over time) you could possibly balance movespeed. So, for example, if a character goes over a certain set threshold (say 420 ms, maybe lower) then their capspeed points would decrease over time with greater decrease the farther away the movespeed gets from the threshold. This would make fast characters really valuable as harassers and defenders of certain points but you'd need to bring in the slowmoving artillery to take a point in any reasonable amount of time.

It seems like the problem now of having movespeed define the power of a champion would be resolved if there was variation in the capspeed of champions relative to MS. Any thoughts?

Drekor

09-21-2011

Quote:
So, when you see something that seems strong, attempt to counter it. Think about options. Try a different tactic. This is the way you can get a better view of the real issues and what options are. Things like hearing casters are weak makes me suspect, when we've had the opposite of that experience
If only you listened to your own advice.

Jovine

09-21-2011

Just a quick few words, Change Tristana's Passive please, Its so useless.