Champion Balance and Dominion beta

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zarthorn

09-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Hey guys,

As expected, there's many balance threads about Dominion after this morning's beta. Discussing your experiences and theory-crafting is always fun to do, and I encourage!

However, I want to set expectations extremely clearly here;

You guys have a very small window of anecdotal evidence to look at. It's not really possible to accurately judge a game's balance on 120 minutes of brand new experiences. As such, while I love the discussion and will probably jump in a bit myself, understand that we're going to let you guys discover things and let the game mature a bit. Other than something egregious that gets discovered, we likely won't be making any changes for Dominion immediately on the balance front. It's just too small of a window to tell.

So, when you see something that seems strong, attempt to counter it. Think about options. Try a different tactic. This is the way you can get a better view of the real issues and what options are. Things like hearing casters are weak makes me suspect, when we've had the opposite of that experience

EDIT: Still applies after two days

EDIT 2: Anivia is amazing on Dominion. Malzahar and Brand are beasts too.

EDIT 3: Launch day! Still valid :P
Considering the likes of Akali have been stomping since day 1, it isn't something thats going to go away without a bit of balance work.

As for the likes of GP, Singed and Lee they have been stomping for quite some time in Summoner Rift, its just amplified here.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-26-2011
14 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showgun500 View Post
I don't care who you are xin, ram, and GP are OP as nothing else on Dominion. I keep seeing those 3 pop up on teams and there is nothing that can stop them. Its insane how broken Dominion is with these champs.

Just my 2 cents.
There ARE two OP champs. It's none of those.

GP is a little OP on SR anyhow, and that does translate to Dominion.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-26-2011
15 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarthorn View Post
Considering the likes of Akali have been stomping since day 1, it isn't something thats going to go away without a bit of balance work.

As for the likes of GP, Singed and Lee they have been stomping for quite some time in Summoner Rift, its just amplified here.
Agreed generally, champs who are strong on SR are also strong on Dominion, typically.

NullDragon

09-26-2011

From what I can tell.

1. Global or nigh global ults are awesome. Lux is an AP caster that is awesome on dominion, because she can control both the middle greater relic and points around the map with her ult.

2. Kitability is good. Lux is, again, good because of her kiting. I'd imagine Anivia would be another AP caster that's good here with her ult and wall.

3. One to one fighting can be good. This is mostly for taking out stragglers, and you can't have too many on a team. LeBlanc may be good here, Poppy is amazing here, veigar would also be good here(especially against AP enemies).

Mages tend to have a lot of CC and such, which is good in support of your team. They might best be called 'delayers'. They can delay whole teams from approaching a point or capping it, long enough for your team to arrive. Brand would be amazing in a 1vs2 situation with the lack of minions on the map for example, he has a long range skillshot poke, good AoE damage and a stun.

Aponthis

09-26-2011

Quote:
Well, we have played a LOT more Dominion than the community still, and I don't think the balance analysis has been close to correct yet. Though, you guys are slowly getting closer
Wouldn't there have been like a hundred thousand games of Dominion played over the past week? You guys really played "a lot" more than that?

Ikruti

09-26-2011

Quote:
Well, we have played a LOT more Dominion than the community still, and I don't think the balance analysis has been close to correct yet. Though, you guys are slowly getting closer
That's an interesting statement. I could definitely read it as that until the community agrees with what Riot has determined is the correct balance for Dominion, that Riot believes the community is in fact incorrect in their analysis. Sort of doesn't leave open the very real possibility that Riot is in fact missing something that the community has found.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-26-2011

feels like dominion is all about duelists and mobility champions. If I'm playing wukong and some ultimate duelist like jax or trynd comes at the node I'm defending that's pretty much it, I've lost the node.

TerinaYa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jars View Post
feels like dominion is all about duelists and mobility champions. If I'm playing wukong and some ultimate duelist like jax or trynd comes at the node I'm defending that's pretty much it, I've lost the node.
so move on and cap the point behind him, or just delay him however long you can without dying lol.

Sentro

09-26-2011

Quote:
There ARE two OP champs. It's none of those.

GP is a little OP on SR anyhow, and that does translate to Dominion.

You need to stop dancing around this. Dominion has a lot more than 2 op champions and you know it, or atleast its your job to know it.

NullDragon

09-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jars View Post
Yes. Because it's not wukong's JOB to defend a note like that.

You may be able to delay him a bit using your decoy to poke. Ult can knockup and thus hurt him a little more. That situation you want to delay until other people get there.

Wukong can still roam the center, killing off casters and such that wander around there. You also have excellent survivability with Decoy that you can use to harass points with. Run across the map, try capping a point, decoy when they come to stop you, move to another point.