i feel bad for new players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iisoloii

06-02-2010

I play smurfs, on solo q because i can control wich way the game goes, i have more power in my hands then at higher levels where one person can lose the game for you, i have found that eaven if we have 2 bad players when im on my smurf i can carrie them and still get wins. In other words its nice to smurf and have alot more control over if you win or lose w/o having to count on the other players.

R66Y

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxxess View Post
Well see it like this:
When the most fun a player can have is to roflstomp newbies, something is very wrong with the overall game. Although some people are never pleased and will continue to smurf no matter what state the game is in, I am fairly certain that most people will stop once they feel like playing the game regardless of win/loss, champion choice, pre-made/not pre-made is rewarding. Honestly you don't have to be some kind of genius to realize that so many people smurfing can only be the result of them being unhappy when they play their "mains"
The reason most of them are unhappy is that they aren't roflstomping all over the place. Heaven forbid they end up playing against people equally skilled (and thus not be able to faceroll their way to victory). Many people just want the illusion that they are pro, and MM bursts that bubble too often fro them to handle (and that's not because MM isn't working, as even a perfectly working MM would give the same result).

It's nice to think that if we just made the game more "rewarding" that the smurfing would end. The problem is that most of them will only see a huge K ratio or W:L ratio as a reward, regardless of any other game mechanics. Smurfing is the result of human nature combines with a game where a new account is free and only a few clicks away.

Lameador

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66Y View Post
The reason most of them are unhappy is that they aren't roflstomping all over the place. Heaven forbid they end up playing against people equally skilled (and thus not be able to faceroll their way to victory). Many people just want the illusion that they are pro, and MM bursts that bubble too often fro them to handle (and that's not because MM isn't working, as even a perfectly working MM would give the same result).

It's nice to think that if we just made the game more "rewarding" that the smurfing would end. The problem is that most of them will only see a huge K ratio or W:L ratio as a reward, regardless of any other game mechanics. Smurfing is the result of human nature combines with a game where a new account is free and only a few clicks away.
This is the exact truth there is to smurfs

Noveson

06-02-2010

I smurf'd for runes. Hit 30 a long time ago, was stupid my first time through and wasted all my IP. Still a good 1,000 IP away from finishing just one runepage I said screw it. I'm going to start over so by the time I hit twenty I have enough IP to fill the slots.

There are legit reasons to make a new account.

GaugeForever

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxxess View Post
Well see it like this:
When the most fun a player can have is to roflstomp newbies, something is very wrong with the overall game.
this is a personality flaw, not a game flaw.

Pathard

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckBanzai View Post
I wanted to play with my son who is brand new. I created a smurf accound so we could play together. OMG - we were trounced early and often. I told him that I was going to play heroes I normally didn't play just to make it fair - that lasted a game or 2. So I switched to chars I knew and went 0/7.

He hasn't played since.
You should try letting him solo queue. My friend has been doing it, and it's worked a lot better than when I queued with him on my smurf account.

Lovely Dolphin

06-02-2010

how about playing hello kitty online instead of bringing down the game to some kiddy level

Dublith

04-23-2014

4 year laters..

Aeolian Melodies

04-23-2014

Smurfs typically get a high win ratio and get matched with fellow smurfs very quickly...

Corvidae I

04-23-2014

I don't mind a good necro now and then...

My wife and I started playing this game recently, and I'd say that over half our games were decided by the smurf, either win or lose. We ended up doing a lot of bot battles, where I actually think we learned more.