i feel bad for new players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LOL luke

06-01-2010

Low level games are basically smurfs vs. smurfs. That will make people want to learn how to play the game!

Claxxess

06-01-2010

Well if the high level player issues were addressed there would be no need for smurfs.
Riot brings this on themselves.

BuckBanzai

06-01-2010

I wanted to play with my son who is brand new. I created a smurf accound so we could play together. OMG - we were trounced early and often. I told him that I was going to play heroes I normally didn't play just to make it fair - that lasted a game or 2. So I switched to chars I knew and went 0/7.

He hasn't played since.

Paincakes

06-01-2010

I played practice matches until about 10 or so in beta. It's a good place to learn the game, with smurfs around you get a lot of leaves too in normal. Can't really do much about the smurfs as long as the game is free.

Dude Man Bro

06-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxxess View Post
Well if the high level player issues were addressed there would be no need for smurfs.
Riot brings this on themselves.
that is the wrong answer

Claxxess

06-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Man Bro View Post
that is the wrong answer
Well see it like this:
When the most fun a player can have is to roflstomp newbies, something is very wrong with the overall game. Although some people are never pleased and will continue to smurf no matter what state the game is in, I am fairly certain that most people will stop once they feel like playing the game regardless of win/loss, champion choice, pre-made/not pre-made is rewarding. Honestly you don't have to be some kind of genius to realize that so many people smurfing can only be the result of them being unhappy when they play their "mains"

BornLegend

06-01-2010

maybe you only see smurfs on smurfs because you are a smurf? maybe there are genuine newbie games out there???

I remember starting new, and it seemed fair, and easy enough to learn the game...

but now when I create a new account to play with my wife... its like a pool of sharks...

0rangeSoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-01-2010

=/ i only smurfed in order to play with a friend i recently got into the game
and now that he's left newbie island i play with him on my main
but during my time smurfing i didn't tryhard i went with gimmick builds and tried the 60 stack challenge

times were good and people learn faster in the face of overwhelming challenges
if they see a good build and compare it to theirs they might try it the next game and find out how it works

there was even a time where smurfing (Minnows to Sharks) was encouraged as long as you were teaching the newer players how to play
but idk about now =/

it does sometimes teach the more intelligent players though
the ones who pick up ideas quickly
the ones who aren't afraid of asking how to do the more complex "strats" in game
those players i know i will eventually be seeing again

BuckBanzai

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehn00bsauce View Post
=/ i only smurfed in order to play with a friend i recently got into the game
and now that he's left newbie island i play with him on my main
but during my time smurfing i didn't tryhard i went with gimmick builds and tried the 60 stack challenge

times were good and people learn faster in the face of overwhelming challenges
if they see a good build and compare it to theirs they might try it the next game and find out how it works

there was even a time where smurfing (Minnows to Sharks) was encouraged as long as you were teaching the newer players how to play
but idk about now =/

it does sometimes teach the more intelligent players though
the ones who pick up ideas quickly
the ones who aren't afraid of asking how to do the more complex "strats" in game
those players i know i will eventually be seeing again
You went with gimmick builds and tried the 60 stack challenge without trying hard??

People learn faster in the face of overwhelming challenges???

If they see your gimmicky build then they'll try it the next game????

My point is the same as the OP - new players must be having a bad time - my son (& I) did.
He's played a bunch of practice games but found those to be full of smurfs so that's why we tried the normal queue.
Is there anything they can do about it? I don't think so. Is there something we can do about it? Yes - stop being complete idiots. If you're going to create a smurf account, don't do the 60 stack challenge (whatever that is). Don't penta-gank the poor guy in mid at the start of the game. Don't do gimmicky things to get gimmicky wins. During the first game we played, it was obvious we were going to win, so I showed my son how to get buffs, how to fight the dragon, how wards worked - all without a direct inflation of kills. Showed him how hard Baron is to kill (was not succesful in killing him).

SurrealEyebrow

06-02-2010

I started this game with no dota/HoN experience and played my first few games with my higher-level (20-30) friends who recommended the game to me.

Needless to say, I got whipped.

Sometimes I would win because the rest of the team was good enough to carry a level two n00b, and mostly I would lose because I was dead weight and the other team would eat me alive (and I was playing Veigar. And I didn't realize until a few games in that AP was important and mana regen wasn't. Or that CC was something I should be concerned with. And on and on and on...).

Anyhow, the point is that I loved the game even though I was getting destroyed, and I recognized that I if I kept playing I was going to get better and have a lot of fun. If you aren't willing to stick it out for a few bad games (and those first few will be bad) so that you can learn how to play the game, maybe this game isn't for you. Maybe multiplayer videogames in general aren't for you.