Community's guide to Soraka

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2009

**I do not claim to know much about LoL or Soraka in particular. I just started playing the game recently, and she has quickly become my favorite champion. And since she's usually said to be underpowered, and no real guide is offered, I thought we can all contribute our knowledge together and help others to play her well.

Update: skill name and functionality, new builds

0. Useful links
1. General facts about Soraka
1.1. Basic stats and abilities
1.2. What's special about this champion?
1.2.1 Why not Taric?
1.3. Is Soraka a good champion for you?
2. Builds

0. Useful links
- Mr Tibber's Soraka compilation has a number of tips and tricks regarding Soraka as well. Also, interesting Sunfire Cape, regen based build.
- LoL items - if you want to plan out your item build.
- Item cost analysis - a very in-depth look at items. Too dense for me. [also, might be getting a bit old]
- Guide directory - list of a ton of guides. Look up alternate builds & what you are up against!

1. Who is Soraka?
1.1 Stats and abilities
Stat type: Arcane
Champion type: Support (I would argue that she's a tank, but whatever)

Quote:
Attack: 50 + 3*level (base attack - patch note says 47, but I'm seeing 50 at the beginning of the game.)
Defense: 11 + 4*level
Mana: 300 + 60*level
HP: 566 + 70*level
Difficulty: Low (or so they say)
Abilities:
Quote:
Consecration
Passive, innate (granted at beginning of the game)
Increase magic resistant by 16. (Tooltip on champion page does not reflect the in game state)
An innate 16 magic resistant means she takes (1/1.16) = 86% of spell damage. Free anti-nuke ability? Me love.

Quote:
Starcall
Active, non-targeted AoE around Soraka, debuff
3 seconds cooldown
Mana cost: (42/54/66/78/90)
Damage: (60/90/120/150/180) + 0.25*AP
Additional effects: Decrease target's magic resistant by 10.
This ability will become active when a target is in range. Range is the same as Bless, so you can always press Bless to get a good sense of who's in range.
The debuff lasts 6 seconds, and stack 8 to 10 times. (8 according to skill tooltip, but 10 according to debuff tooltip).
It can indeed put enemies into negative resist, thus amplifying your damage, just as Mr Tibbers thread said in his thread.

Useful for farming, but low scaling mean you won't be able to use it to burst down a champion. It has good DPS though, since it's on such a short cooldown.

Quote:
Astral Blessing
Active, single target buff, Heal over Time, CC (silence debuff)
10 seconds cooldown, 12 seconds duration (can be maintained on multiple target)
Mana cost: (60/90/120/150/180)
Heal per sec: (7 /11/ 15 / 19 / 23) + 0.1*AP
Grants 30 armor to target
3 sec Silence when casted on enemy champion.
**Can someone point me to effective hp calculation guide with regards to armor? Also, have to check duration and cooldown again. I think I took the wrong note last time.
The extra armor is awesome in all situation, and the heal is good for pushing. But don't rely on the HoT as a game changer in a fight against champions. It also last a decent amount of time, so you can drop it on a friend before splitting up to set up a gank provided the team is well organized.
Also, I think that it can be casted on creeps, so it could have an unexpected synnergy with the summoner skill, Promote, when you want to push.

Quote:
Infuse
Active, single target, cost 0 mana to cast!
15 seconds cooldown
restore mana: (50/100/150/200/250)
Deals 80% of the mana restore in damage (mana return*0.8 + 0.4*AP) & Silence (1/1.5/2/2.5) sec when casted on enemy. Work on Champion as well as creep.
How many heroes do you know that can restore mana to other heroes? I didn't think so.
At base cooldown, this works out to (16.67/33.33/50/66.67/83.33) MP5. That's massive! Use it on your team if they are nukers, , or on enemies as extra nuke to harass or creeping, or use it on yourself, and bypass getting all mana regen items altogether.
Only the damage portion of this spell scale with AP.

Quote:
Wish
Ultimate skill, active, global champion instant heal
Cooldown: (120/90/60) seconds
mana cost: (250/350/450)
Heal: (250/400/550) + 2*AP
Although the base heal itself is relatively small, Purify does scale incredibly well and is on incredibly short cooldown. It has a relatively hefty price tag, but shouldn't worry someone who can Wish her mana from 0 to 100% every minute or so.
Also, it's a frikkin global heal with no delay. For all anyone care, you could be in your base shopping, pushing in an entirely different lane, or on a backdooring mission, and you'll be still able to heal your friend. How cool is that?

------------------------
1.2. What's special about Soraka?
Flexibility! She's the only hero that can literally go through a game without any regen items. That gives her a lot of leeway around her item builds.
She's also tough enough to tank physical classes with her Bless on, and also decent HP. She's probably the ideal tank against nuker due to her innate magic resist.
She's ranged, which means she can serve as a physical DPS in a pinch.
Also, she can heal you from half the world away. And let's not forget about all the time you Wish (pun intended) you can restore mana while playing other champion.

1.2.1 Why not Taric?
There have been many arguments that Taric trumps her in every way as a healer, due to his heal being insant. He also buff their offensive capabilities, and his armor aura works on all champions, unlike Bless that can only be on 2 targets at a time (or 3 if you really stack CD items).

I would argue that it comes down to playstyle. Taric is a great healer, or tank, or DPS--but only one thing at a time. This is because to heal, he needs AP and mana. To DPS, he needs raw attack, and to tank, he needs armor and regen.
On the other hand, Soraka does all 3 at once. The fact that she doesn't need a regen item means she can stack up extra damage, etc. But most important of all, it's because her main stat is CD reduction. Pump that, and you have more Wish (more mana), more Bless (regen and armor on more targets), more HP via Purify, and more farming ability via Starcall (not that much more though).

Most important of all is that she doesn't need to invade someone's personal space to safe their posterior. Taric's abilities are instant, short ranged, and mainly work as aura abilities. Soraka can drop her blessing on a teammate, then be on her merry way to flank the enemies, or Purify her team while she's pushing an unguarded tower. In a sense, this (old?) girl is much more independent than her male counterpart.

1.3. Is Soraka right for you?
- If you like to go against the grain, or simply don't like it when other people pick your favorite hero, or to see her on the opposing team, then Soraka is for you.
- If you like an unmatched flexibility, Soraka is for you.
- If you hate waiting for cooldowns, Soraka is for you.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2009

2. Builds

2.1 Stat valuation
(will come back to this at later date..)
I have not done any real number crunching for this, but it seems to me that Soraka benefits most from CD reduction, then mitigation stats (armor/magic resist), followed by attack power, then AP.
Seriously--AP scaling is awful for most of her abilities that you're not going to see much of a difference until you get into 3rd tier items, and Wish has such an awesome scaling that it would be a waste to stack AP for it. In a sense, she's all about spamming and sustained damage/heal, not burst.
HP is good for everyone, but mana is relatively useless when I play her--I don't stack regen item, and her innate mana regen (read: Infuse) scales with CD reduction. With her mana expenditure pretty much fixed in scaling with CD, you can really control your own mana level easily. Thus there is no real need to bump up her mana pool, unless you want to be an easy bait for Veigar (what a little *****).

2.2 - Soraka, destroyer of worlds another guide on this forums. Needless to say it's a DPS build.

2.3 my hybrid tank/buffer build [I abandoned this build in favor of the jungling build because it lets my teammate get better exp]
Runes:
Quint: CD reduction
Marks (red): armor pen
Seals (yellow): dodge
Glyph (blue): half CD reduction, half AP/lvl

Masteries: I don't know..just..something. I just put points randomly into offensive tree since back when I was playing Veigar.

Item:
If laning with a mana intensive character: Mana manipulator. Also, make sure your mage friend knows not to get their own mana regen item. That way, he'll grow into a great ganker much quicker (and then they their AP items will have mana regen on it anyway).
Else: Shoe (yes, the damn shoe. It's so flexible--you can get any extra stat on there easily, depending on who you're fighting).
Then I usually get myself a Fiendish Codec, or if I'm richer than expected, Lich Bane. Upgrade the shoe as necessary during this period.
Followed by some defensive items, depending on how heavily physical/magic oriented the opposing team is.
From here, alternate between damage (with dodge and attack speed over crit) and AP item (with CD reduction over mana or regen), until the enemies finally realized that I'm a threat and kill me. If that happens, get more 2nd tier defense item. I prioritize armor over dodge.

Ability:
Bless>Starcall>Infuse, then alternate Bless/Starcall>Infuse. Get Wish as soon as it pops.
This is because I do not stack AP, so each rank of Bless is only marginally better for me until mid-late game. I mainly only get it for armor and OOC regen, which really doesn't have to be rushed. Starcall is only used for last hitting creeps (and opportune potshot at enemy melee hero trying to last hit some creeps), so it doesn't have to be strong either.

Play style:
Early game, I usually try to lane with someone else. If laning with a DPS champion, I provide Bless for them. That way, they won't have to get HP regen item and skip straight to bigger items.
If laning with caster, I Wish them so they don't need mana regen item.
In any case, if they're glass cannon of sort, I play a cannonfodder for any harassment by Blessing myself. Starcall is great early game anti-harassing on your melee friends, since the harasser will have to move closer to fire it.

I like to run around, a lot. I would spend a lot of time running from one lane to the next, pausing to kill off low level neutral creeps for some cash, and attempt to buff as many allies as possible. I think the unpredictability of having a support her pop out of nowhere every now and then really push the other team over the edge.
Late game, I generally sneak off for quick tower push, then reconvene with my team to heal them up every now and then. It's a great ganking strat, because you always get to flank enemies when they're engaged with your team. You can also use Purify on them while you're on the way as well.

Comment:
Yes, this build leaves a lot to be desired for. But hey, I told you I just started.

2.4 (wandering) Jungling Soraka (Not complete yet. I have to document it and come back to it later)
Why this build: Soraka is a support hero, and she should share her love between her entire team.
Mastery: Smite + everyting else in utility. The most important thing is once she has Wish, she really doesn't need to be next to someone else to save them. The nature of her HoT also lends to her being able to run around a lot and supporting people in different area easily.
Summoner skill: Heal & Smite
Skill order:
1) Q - Starcall
2) E - Infuse
3) W - Astral Blessing
4) Q
5) E
6)... (will update again once my internet stop bugging out)

Item build:
Tome->boot->Mercury's Thread (+33AP, speed 2). It gives you lots of AP and speed, which you will use a lot.
Glacial Shroud->Frozen Heart - Armor, mana, CD reduction. This baby will keep you going and increase your damage output as well. Once you get Frozen Heart, you also reduce opponent's attack speed, which is a boon.
[more to come]

Play style:
Take bottom lane with a carry would be great. As soon as minion spawn, head for the 2 golems/wolves at the bottom lane, and proceed to Smite his ass and Starcall spam him to death. You won't be able to kill both Golems at this point, so just kill one, then run out to join your friend at the turret. Your HP should be back to full by level 3 if you're not too rash--that's when you run back to finish off the golem. From here on, prepare to wander, a lot.
Head back to your bottom lane hero, fill him up, and run to mid lane. If there are 2 of them, it's a good idea to pop Heal spell instead of using your Astral Blessing, since it does the job much quicker. Stop to nuke off the low level mobs by your turret, then fill up (while leeching) mid lane champions. Move to the top lane while doing the same thing. By this point, you should be close to level 6. Run over to the lizard with aura, kill off his 2 minions, run away and rest up for just a bit, then go back and Smite his behind to hell. Return to base to grab extra item (Glacial shroud should be available now), and be on your way again.

Mob killing tips: Astral Blessing before you reach the mob, and start with Infuse. You won't need extra mana until the CD is up anyway, and it can help you ditch out that much needed burst at early level. Combine Infuse with Smite on harder to kill mobs will kill it much quicker. Also, it's good to pick off the smaller mobs first, then come back for the big one after some rest. Those 5 DPS that each of them put out can hurt a lot in the long run especially in early levels.

From here, repeat this wandering life style, and take the chance to push the tower if it is unguarded. Your life's goal should be to annoy as many people in as many places as you can.

When engaged with large group of enemies, just be sure to stand back a bit. At late game, I usually build Soraka up as a tank, so she can stand there and tank other heroes. Sunfire Cape and Thorn Armor suits my play style perfectly. I never quite find out if Silence will stop heroes from channeling spells or not though.

Xocolatl

09-18-2009

FIRST! (I mean second! I mean, reserved)

Mr Tibbers

09-18-2009

I want to smack ya. Did you even go through the guide section? I started something like this a week ago. :/

+EDIT!: Reserving sucks, btw. Why not write it ALL out on wordpad or whatever and then place on the forums when you're done? Much easier, imho. Only guides like Smecss' really need reserved spots. :/

Hmmer94

09-18-2009

(Reserved for when guide is 100% finished)

+ its sounds cool to reserve things, make me feel all grown up

Xocolatl

09-18-2009

@Mr Tibbers: I don't know if there are word limits to reply or not. And since I'm hoping to see a lot of community contribution, I figured I'd reserve some space so I can repost the feedback. In a sense, they're not for me--they're for you. (If you had read the top of the post, you'll know that this is not a guide. I'm posting basic stats and skills, and I'm hoping people will post their guides.)
But now that you mentioned it, I do recall seeing that thread. It just seems a bit unorganized, and does not seems to be updated. So it has slipped from my mind since then.
Admittedly, I should've searched more thoroughly, so I apologize for that.

@Hmmer94: Hopefully the guide will never be completed, so long as someone wants to share how they play this champion. I won't be putting up too much of my own build though, since I'm pretty horrible at this game.

Mr Tibbers

09-20-2009

Meh. Bump, ftw.

I really want to see someone make a viable non-support Soraka, which is more of what mine was centered around. Maybe with the changes to her since this last patch, it may be more viable. Maybe not. There's a word limit for everything, btw, Xocolatl. It's pretty high up there though. The community won't contribute much...most people see Soraka as useless, or just don't enjoy playing her. I on the other hand, and a few others like me, would like to see a Battle Soraka. Mostly because it's completely ridiculous and surprising, not to mention that I like challenging myself to make the worst character better. I'm weird like that.

Mine wasn't organized, yeah, but eh...I tried. I normally just wait for feedback and edit my original post. :/

Morzas

09-20-2009

I've seen one good Soraka. I played Jax, and with her armor buff, I could safely tower dive the opposing Jax and Trist at top over and over. That was before she got Silence, too! I wish I knew more people that played her, because she's a really good support hero.

Vangu

09-21-2009

I tend to play Soraka a lot mainly because I like being a true support class and I feel like Soraka is the only one. Sure I can stun someone but not much of a support class if they is the only thing they can do..if thats the case then almost half (if not more) of the champions should count as a support class.

Bloodba7h

09-21-2009

I have to ask why you chose AP/lvl runes when you said a paragraph above that Soraka benefits most from CD reduction. You also said that AP scaling sucks with Soraka.

???

ALSO: Don't go with Celerity (CD/lvl) runes in Glyph slot. They aren't better than Focus (0.65%CD) runes until you reach level 14. Garbage!