Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

{Guide} Ezreal: Monster Damage With Great Support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fingertips

06-01-2010

Why Hybrid?

The point of this build is to maximize the damage of your mystic shot, while maintaining ezrael's amazing ability to support his team. The damage and playstyle of this build is not like AP. Ap takes a bit to get going, but this build is strong from early - mid - late game, instead of being really strong mid to late game. I know Ap ezreal is still good early game, but not as effective mid game as a hybrid or AD build. Ap ezreal really shines late game.

My build:
I've tried this build out and had success with it thus far, and I wanted some opinions on other members of the community. So try it out and tell me what you think!

Skill Build:
1 Q
2 E
3 W
4 Q
5 Q
6 R
7 Q
8 W
9 Q
10 W
11 R
12 W
13 W
14 E
15 E
16 R
17 E
18 E

runes:
I"ve been using 29 armor penetration (marks and 3 quints) and mana/5 per level seals and ability power per level glyphs. Total stats: 29 armor pen, 28 ap at 18, 16 mp5 at 18.
I had equal success using cd reduction per lvl glyphs as well.
The reason I use ap/level is because, eventually, it will increase the damage of my lichbane procs.

Masteries:
21/0/9 getting improved ignite and only 2/3 in critical dmg bonus. I dont get atk speed masteries because he has enough attack speed via his passive and Guinsoo's Rageblade.

Starting items:
Saphire Crystal & x2 hp potions

first trip back: approximately 1400 gold
catalyst and boots

Explanation:
Catalyst allows you to not go back for quite a while. Eventually, you will turn it into innervating locket, but I usually wait till I'm 18 to do so because Catalyst is beast on Ezreal.

Second trip back: approximately 2500 gold
sheen and upgrade boots (sorcerer's shoes or merc treads) mercury treads 90% of time.

Third trip back:
Hextech revolver and a piece of guinsoo's rageblade

fourth trip:
Finish rageblade work on finishing the gunblade

fifth trip:
finish Hextech Gunblade

sixth trip:
finish lichbane

The Reason for Lichbane instead of Trinity force is because you get more dmg from a 1:1 ratio of ability power rather than a 120% increase to base dmg.

Upgrade your catalyst to Innervating Locket whenever you can to allow for maximum support. Locket is basically broken on ezreal because of his low cooldowns and the spamability of his Q. This build maximizes his Q, so innervating locket makes sense for him.
Elixirs: Brilliance and Fortitude (whenever spare gold is available)

Shortened List:
Saphire Crystal
boots
Catalyst
Sheen
Hextech Revolver
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Hextech Gunblade
Lichbane
Innervating Locket

Final Items:
Innervating Locket
Mercury Treads or Sorcerer's Shoes
Hextech Gunblade (The slow is amazing for chasing)
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Lichbane

Final slot:
Frozen mallet, Rylais, Void Staff, Guardian Angel, Zhonya's Ring, Bloodthirster, Black Cleaver

For Easier Viewing:
Build 1
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Ezreal/f13997c3def93367d4b0305609e36cf2
Build 2
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Ezreal/4b7b65c5cc23320b6793190305bd9412

All of these are great on him. I usually go Survivability so Frozen Mallet is naturally my choice. Rylais is decent, but, yet again, this build focuses on Mystic Shot's dmg (Rylais doesn't proc on mystic shot and Frozen mallet does).

Craixis

06-01-2010

I thought Trinity Force gave you double your damage +20% (If you have 200 attack, you hit for 420... not 220... as it adds 120% damage, right?), meaning Trinity can still be viable, though Lich Bane may be better for your build (depends on how much AP you have vs AD). I'd look more into Trinity next time you get a chance, as Trinity can also slow enemies (saves you later on the Frozen Mallet), and the increased crit and movespeed is a nice cherry on top (but milage may vary).

Other then that, there really isn't any detail on how to play the build, other then get these items and max this skill first. Why not provide a bit of pointers early, mid, and late game, or something that indicates the kind of player this is for?

Fingertips

06-01-2010

Actually, what Trinity force does is make your next attack have an additional 120% of your *base* attack damage. So it's not increased by items at all, only level. So, if you have 200 attack damage with 100 base damage (a fully maxed out bloodthirster would give the +100 damage), your trinity force proc would deal 320 damage (the 200 damage + 120% of your base attack damage). If you have lichbane and you had 200 attack damage and 200 ability power (which this build reaches), your next attack would deal 400 damage (200 from AD and 200 from AP). Furthermore, your mystic shot applies your lichbane proc, so it will deal 200 from your AD, 140 from mystic shot, 200 from AP lich bane proc; this all adds to 520 damage not counting armor. With trinity force it would only be 460 dmg or less because Ezreal's *base* atk damage is not very high.

I hope that answers your questions on why I use Lichbane and Trinity force is not viable in this build. Another reason is trinity force gives you crit chance, which is a terrible stat for AD Ezreal and Hybrid Ezreal. Crit chance does not effect your mystic shot, which is the majority of your damage (although your Essence Flux hits so hard with Sorcerer's shoes).

Craixis

06-01-2010

Base damage, being damage without buffs or skills (so the BF sword and the like increase the damage from Trinity), at least that's what I've seen, as Sheen nearly doubles Nasus's total damage... (as its almost a requirement on him)
So that 140 damage bonus from his attack doesn't double, but his attack damage does (so he'd be doing 420, with an extra 140), also note, I'm going to be testing the bloodthirster + Trinity in a bot match... to see if Bloodthirster is raising the *base* damage or not.
Actually, skip that, next time you're playing, hit C, and look at "Base Damage"... should solve that

Fingertips

06-01-2010

If that's how it works, then your math is still wrong. With 200 damage your next attack would deal 120% damage, not 100% + 120% damage, that would be 220%; what you are suggesting would be OP. Trinity force states on spell cast, increases your base attack damage by 120%. So, if you had 200 AD the next attack (trinity proc) would deal 120% of 200, which is 200 * 1.2 = 240 damage, a meager increase in damage.

Do you understand how it works now? I always thought base damage meant damage before item bonuses, but if it means damage before buffs only, then trinity force is slightly better for him. The damage increase is just way too small compared to lichbane (comparing 40 to 200); therefore, I dont see why you would want to waste money on crit when you can get more damage elsewhere.

Craixis

06-01-2010

Hmm, odd, because Sheen says "Increases base attack damage by 80%" and Trinity says "Increases base damage by 130%"... so, in theory, it should be doubling you're damage... as its adding an extra 130% on top of your normal damage (when did they add that extra 10% on me...)
It doubles your damage, but with magic resist and armor, its not as noticed (I hit a minion for 260 after I casted spirit fire away from them, then I hit it again for 153)
Odds are, though, you're not going to be dealing 400 base damage (as both those items, are very, #$%^ing, expensive), I'm only at 170 (with 3k gold, with bloodthirster, I'm at 240) with 18 kills on Nasus... Trinity cost wise, may not be effective for your build (and as you said, you hit 200 AP on that build easy)
--------------------------
Edit: I could argue this all day, but the facts are on my side... Trinity doubles your damage, not increases it by 30%... why the heck would I get it then?
Just fyi, don't test the damage on champs, the Armor gets in the way

Deadly Paradox

06-01-2010

Assuming it uses the base damage at level 18, and not the base damage at level 1, this is how it works:

Trinity Force

103 * 1.3 + 103 = 236.9

Lich Bane (without any other AP items)
80 + 103 = 183

In order to do more damage, you need 53 (54 if Trinity Force is rounded up) more AP.

(Trinity Force ADDS the damage to your next attack, so it's your base attack * 1.3 ADDED to your base attack. Lich Bane does the same thing, but uses your AP instead (no multiplication.)

Craixis

06-01-2010

Which is what I'm saying, however, Lichbane is also cheaper, is it not?
Trinity is a great item, just it's so bloody expensive, its difficult to get (as I said, I have 18 kills currently in this bot match, and I only have Bloodthirster and Trinity, while you would probably be done half your build, as trinity takes Phage, Sheen, and Zeal to make...)
Cost wise, Lich Bane is a better choice, but don't spread rumors about Trinity (if you can get the Gold, its a great investment)

Deadly Paradox

06-01-2010

Quote:
Craixis:
Which is what I'm saying, however, Lichbane is also cheaper, is it not?
Trinity is a great item, just it's so bloody expensive, its difficult to get (as I said, I have 18 kills currently in this bot match, and I only have Bloodthirster and Trinity, while you would probably be done half your build, as trinity takes Phage, Sheen, and Zeal to make...)
Cost wise, Lich Bane is a better choice, but don't spread rumors about Trinity (if you can get the Gold, its a great investment)

This is an (mostly) AP build; getting Trinity force wouldn't make any sense.

Craixis

06-01-2010

Its a HYBRID build, as you stated... Trinity works well for the AD side of your build...
How much AP and AD do you have at end game, as all those items increase both (Gunblade, Guinsoos, and Trinity would increase your AD and AP, meaning you may hit harder with your Q ability, and still have a large bonus to healing/support.)

I'm not trying to shut down your build, I was just pointed out that Trinity increases damage by 130%, not by 30%...