Why (almost) no Summoner Heroes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Danbotica

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2009

Excluding Annie, there do not seem to be any monster summoning heroes?

I suspect this is intentional, but i really do miss playing heroes who control a few minions. I understand the dps could get kinda insane with many summons and they may not fit well with the gameplay, but either way i do really miss it. Anyone else feeling the same?

I would love to get a minion based hero (not because of demigod, but because of roc dota)

Ky Kiske

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2009

I think giving another Hero the ability to summon a minion would take away from what little Annie has right now.

She is unique and I think just buffing her up a bit would be all you need.

Or implement a system that gives Tibbers stats/abilities from items in your inventory. (that might be OP but she sucks right now so it doesn't hurt to suggest it ).

This could make it so that Tibbers wouldn't be OP at lvl 6 and would get better as you do.

Xocolatl

09-18-2009

So subsequent level of Tibber will scale better with items. Interesting proposal. I remember from a few practice game when I was trying her out that Tibbers outright destroy towers already though. This change must be carefully monitored, but I do like the idea of letting Tibber scale.

And yes, more summoner champions would mix things up a little. I would prefer someone who's more tech-themed, and with longer lasting pet than Tibber.

Thadious

09-18-2009

More summoning heroes are needed. I can't wait to play a summoner summoning a summoner hero to summon minions to do my bidding.

DeathByPockets

09-18-2009

It's worth mentioning that any summoned creature is going to be inherently less useful in this game than it would have been in DotA, by the very nature of the game's engine - simply because you can't micro pets, due to being unable to directly control them. As much fun as a summoner hero would be (and it would), it's difficult to implement such a creature without a direct mechanism to control them.

Kingreaper

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByPockets View Post
It's worth mentioning that any summoned creature is going to be inherently less useful in this game than it would have been in DotA, by the very nature of the game's engine - simply because you can't micro pets, due to being unable to directly control them. As much fun as a summoner hero would be (and it would), it's difficult to implement such a creature without a direct mechanism to control them.
With Tibbers, pressing Alt does it, apparently.

So if the hero only summons one minion, it'd be fine.

Leksu

09-21-2009

Well I tried to suggest one, but didnt get that much feedback.

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=11890

I will appretiate of you guys wanted to take a look

Its not polished though, but it is my idea of a summoner champion.

Hedgehog

09-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leksu View Post
Well I tried to suggest one, but didnt get that much feedback.

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=11890

I will appretiate of you guys wanted to take a look

Its not polished though, but it is my idea of a summoner champion.
Doesnt really matter how good the concept is. It probably wont go in due to the limitations of the UI when it comes to controlling anything other than your champion. Most likely any summons would be primarily dependant on AI which is a major flaw. Tibbers alone is bad enough. Even when force controlling him works its not the most optimal thing to do in a team fight.

I believe there is a new hero coming in who places an automated mini-turret than can get stronger with kills.

Nayuki

09-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingreaper View Post
With Tibbers, pressing Alt does it, apparently.

So if the hero only summons one minion, it'd be fine.
Tibbers does not believe in your ability to press Alt unless you are telling him to go after a hero. Once you do that, Tibbers rabidly refuses to believe you are ever pressing Alt and will go love-love that hero right by the tower until he dies and then he will blame you for not directing him better.

Poor Annie, she tries so hard but Tibbers just refuses to listen...

Lesson of the story: Alt+Click really works VERY badly for Tibbers, he listens maybe a quarter of the time and who has time to spam Alt+Click in the middle of fights hoping Tibbers will listen rather than making use of Inferno/Disintegrate? Annie already has an incredibly short window she is viable to play in before all other nukers become far better - she can't waste that time commanding a stupid Tibbers.