IronStylus deviantART Gallery

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amberleh

09-19-2011

GORGEOUS concept design, seriously. I am so envious. I'm an illustration major and I totally want to be a concept artist, but I have so much trouble just finishing anything and keeping on track. What do you do to keep yourself motivated?

K1eptomaniaK

09-19-2011

Those mechs man.

THOSE MECHS.

shadowblazr

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Hi guys,

A lot of people have been asking to see some of my work pre-Riot or work I've done on my own time. I've set up a deviantart gallery to do just that.

Please keep in mind and bear with me as most of this work is quite old. The newest being perhaps a year old or so. I can't show my Riot work quite obviously, but work that I do of my own volition of my own subject matter ais open to be checked out.

Feel free to leave comments on the images if you like. If you have specific questions on specific pieces please post the comment on the deviantart page and mention you're from the League of Legends forums. I'll answer specific questions about the pieces there when I have the time. If you have more general art questions you're more than welcome to post them here but I'd like to make sure that the discussions here remain LoL related.

I want to make sure this thread isn't misinterpreted as me promoting myself. This is for those who have asked to see some context of my work and would like to find out more information about concept art or 2D art process.

Hope you like! I'll add new material as soon as I have some time =)

Here's the link: http://ironstylus.deviantart.com/

CLARIFICATION: NONE of this work is League of Legends related. Most of it is personal work and a few images from an old project.
Would there ever be a possibility for a support mech in LoL??????

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

09-19-2011
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleh View Post
GORGEOUS concept design, seriously. I am so envious. I'm an illustration major and I totally want to be a concept artist, but I have so much trouble just finishing anything and keeping on track. What do you do to keep yourself motivated?
Well, you've given me a clue in what you just said =)

Don't try to finish right now. If you're after a job in concept art/entertainment illustration you don't necessarily want to get things to tight while you're still studying. You want to be able to produce drawings, paintings, and such that are more exploratory and analytical than finished pieces. Eventually, you'll get to doing finished renders, but while you're still in school focus non-stop on your fundamentals in drawing and painting. Draw from life but in a way where you are making a constant effort to analyze form in three dimensional space. A sketchbook full of a hundred loose, analytical and gestural drawings are worth a single rendered piece in my opinion if you're going for a job in concept art.

To motivate yourself, and it's hard to do I know, try to decouple yourself form your sketching. Draw to draw. Don't draw to make a picture. Try to understand. The more you draw, the more volume you produce, the more comfort and ease you will develop. I have a whole ton of anxieties, but if I push through to get past that initial barrier, more volume decreases that anxiety. You can bust through after 30 thumbnails into designs you can finally start to fall in love with.

Get used to starting, finishing can come later =)

xdevotion

09-19-2011

Wow IronStylus, your art is absolutely AMAZING. I'm honestly speechless.

Sigh. The things I would do to have artistic talent of any kind.

Nighlen

09-19-2011

Sick work man, it all looks awesome

Abeillles

09-19-2011

Someone likes their Dakka :O

Is it just me (watching too much of Destiny and Minigun recently) or would some of this have made good SC2 concept art?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

09-19-2011
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeillles View Post
Someone likes their Dakka :O

Is it just me (watching too much of Destiny and Minigun recently) or would some of this have made good SC2 concept art?
I'm very much inspired by Starcraft design.. which is inspired by a whole host of other influences.. which was inspired by a ton of other influences.

I like lots of stuff =)

Amythist

09-19-2011

any suggestions for ways to get started drawing/improve a beginner's technique, (art books, etc), been told I have a good grasp of perspective and scale but as far as actual drawing skills go I'm very much a beginner

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

09-19-2011
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythist View Post
any suggestions for ways to get started drawing/improve a beginner's technique, (art books, etc), been told I have a good grasp of perspective and scale but as far as actual drawing skills go I'm very much a beginner
I'm a huge fan of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061...KN7KYDG0HR5B3Z

Just remember.. draw, draw, draw!