Kog'Maw Will Be Nerfed.

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yefo

06-24-2010

I'm not here to discuss whether or not he "needs" the nerf (well, maybe I am a little bit), but I am simply predicting that, in the near future, the range or fall delay on his ultimate will be nerfed.

It's not that he's overpowered as a whole, but his ulti's range is absolutely unreal. How long is it going to take until the following QQ threads (that WILL pop up sooner rather than later) result in a change to his ulti?

Predicted QQ Thread #1:
"He can hit our team from behind our tower without even coming into range!"

Predicted QQ Thread #2:
"He can hit the opposite side of his own Nexus from inside his fountain on TT, resulting in superb turtling due to endless ulti spam!"

With the metagame (yup, I said it) in it's current state, Kog'Maw's ridiculous range fits right in. And with Riot trying to steer gameplay away from a "poke and heal" strategy, it's just a matter of time until Kog'Maw's ulti gets a nerf.

/discuss

Rehero

06-24-2010

Nonsence a 6 second cooldown ult that can push you out of exp range from a safe distance isn't OP.

It's not like you can stack Mass mana regen and cooldown runes and spam it every 3.5 seconds.

It's not like you can out range every other champion and stack mass AP without the worry of getting hit.

rikrokola

06-24-2010

Good logic, hard to argue against.

Lagoon7

06-24-2010

yes, sadly, to all of it.

hence why im holding off on my kog'maw purchase for now... even though he looks so fun...

Yefo

06-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehero View Post
Nonsence a 6 second cooldown ult that can push you out of exp range from a safe distance isn't OP.

It's not like you can stack Mass mana regen and cooldown runes and spam it every 3.5 seconds.

It's not like you can out range every other champion and stack mass AP without the worry of getting hit.
Except that the cooldown (at least at max level, I'm don't feel like booting up the game and checking) at level 3 is .7 seconds without much effort... 1 cd item, cd runes, cd masteries.

.7 seconds is quite a bit less than 3.5, ESPECIALLY when he's in his own fountain mashing on 'R' and not running out of mana rofl

Adel Dijerek

06-24-2010

Yes, undoubtedly. Further, I'll make a BOLD PREDICTION: In response to QQ for the borked champ, RIOT's next champ release will be poor/downright terrible a la Malzalol/Kennen, keeping up with the cycle of life.

Rehero

06-24-2010

its .7? wow more OP than I thought... I was under the impression that it had a base cooldown of 6 seconds...

Korlee

06-24-2010

Sadly this is going to be true. Kog'Maw has extreme range and such because he is built around needing it. You take his range away? And he becomes a free kill. Both of his big hit abilities and the one that gives him a little edge to run are skillshots that are easy to miss if someone is paying attention. He is also a very slow runner like almost Anivia slow. So if he misses his slowing ability? He is stuck out in the open to die and turning tail to run really isn't the best of options like it would be with other champions.

Then there is the fact he really is item dependent. If he has soso items? He can't compete the longer the game goes on even remotely. While some like Annie would still pack a little punch or Ezreal pack a punch and get away as well stalling the fight. Kog'Maw has to farm up and stay on par or be worthless.

Also it is as others have said as well. You need a team that compliments him a little as well. He doesn't do well with people such as Shaco on his team with say an Anivia. Lots of squishies or peeps that run alot. Since he needs to keep a little distance or he gets boned if they can pick him out of a crowd because he is the squishiest and there are no tank types. Between him and the other team to harass.

Now.. his abilities? His slow has a decent cooldown even with the reductions. His ultimate? Everyone worries about it being spammed but if you worry about that? Then you have never played him or watched his mana pool. If he keeps using it back to back? The cost stacks up quickly and he will be out of mana and can no longer spam let alone cast anything else. The cooldown runes will let him recover to fight minions okay. But not to fight anyone or do that again anytime soon even remotely. It leaves him open to pick off if you are paying attention and not afraid of a little damage. In a team fight if he spams it he once again goes useless rather quickly in a huge fight. Plus if one is paying attention? They can see the nice sized little dot much like the dark matter dot and just step to the side.

He is pretty balanced at the moment. People who will complain about him at the moment or in the next few weeks? They do not have the patience to learn how to fight any new champion. They want to own with the latest fotm or continue to play as if Kog'Maw was never in the game. All they have to do is adjust and learn his weaknesses and that is that.

Sadly I can see him getting range nerfs as you said. People will whine rather then learn and such. Riot is already proving to take to the Blizzard model of catering to whining. Which makes me very sad. But it is what it is. The nerfs will kill him though and he will become another unplayed champion such as Kennen.

Yefo

06-24-2010

I agree that he can "potentially" have mana problems, but that is only because so many people are stuck in the "I'm not buying mana or mana regen because they are wasted stats" mindset. Archangels + Chalice = extreme ability to spam Ulti.

And in the 2nd situation that I brought up (when Kog is on TT defending his final tower/nexus), if you have some CDR and some AP, you can rain hell from the sky nonstop from the safety of your own fountain. In this particular case, mana/regen are nonfactors.

Rehero

06-24-2010

Oh on the contrary... You seem to think the balance changes would be range based. I understand its an ult and it should have some sort of advantage.

That being said the cool-down making it spammable is where the nerf is needed. I suggest a increase in the recharge to somewhere near a base of 15 seconds. That way it is still useful yet not overly spammable...

12345 ... 8